GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own and drive a 2013 Volt. I have a K2 Enterprises EMF reader which measures electric radiation coming off of electric wires, generators, microwaves, cell phones, etc. While driving my Volt and accelerating, I measured 20+ milliGAUSS on the scale, a series of green, yellow, and red lights, near my right leg, eminating from the center hump under the shifter. I suppose that's where the wiring goes from the battery to the Voltec. I researched electromagnetic field radiation from EV's on Google and came up with only a few studies, which are summarized here: https://www.saferemr.com/2014/07/shouldnt-hybrid-and-electric-cars-be-re.html

Are you concerned?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I own and drive a 2013 Volt. I have a K2 Enterprises EMF reader which measures electric radiation coming off of electric wires, generators, microwaves, cell phones, etc. While driving my Volt and accelerating, I measured 20+ milliGAUSS on the scale, a series of green, yellow, and red lights, near my right leg, eminating from the center hump under the shifter. I suppose that's where the wiring goes from the battery to the Voltec.[/url]

Are you concerned?
K-II EMF Meter for Ghost Hunting

I suppose your Gen1 could be haunted!:rolleyes:

Seriously though I wouldn't worry about with all the stray radiation already floating around us between cell phones / cell phone towers / WiFi access points In-car / CIA satellites, ect., ect...

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I'm glad you brought up this question as it has crossed my mind at times--just like it has with cell phones, my wi-fi router, and all the other sources of EMF radiation in our modern world.

On balance, I wonder if the health risks from EVs through EMF exposure vs. health risks from exposure to gas/diesel fumes would be comparable. Unfortunately, we EV drivers would be exposed to both as most of the world is still sending exhaust into the air we breathe.

So I'm not knowledgeable enough to judge whether the reading from the K2 meter was in the "concern" area in the legs. I read some of the studies and was glad, I guess, to see "mixed" results. I always thought the concern was at the head area from the cell phone studies. It looks like gas vehicles are also EMF sources from tire rotation, but EVs/Hybrids are definitely more.

Personally, I think this is an area that should be explored and I hope manufacturers mitigate the exposure to the extent possible. I think a few poor studies that claim "EVs give you cancer" could actually kill the nascent EV adoption rates, which would be worse--overall--for the world's health. So I do hope this question gets sorted out.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
This has been brought up before and IIRC it was said that supposedly, the volt EM levels are lower than a traditional ICE. It's very well shielded to prevent interference with the numerous computers, etc while ICEs typically are nowhere near as well.

I'm in the camp of "it's harmless", due to decades of exposure to all sorts of different frequencies in our environment without ill effects.
But even if it's not, as VoltenRock alludes to I can pretty much guarantee that cloud of black diesel smoke you inhaled is far worse for you than any dose of EM you get for 3 seconds while accelerating.

I'm not worried. At all.

·
Administrator
20,441 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Are you concerned?
Not at all. For $8.50, I can get protection. I wear it whenever I drive my car. https://mcphee.com/collections/tin-foil-hats/products/tin-foil-hat

I understand there is also concern out in the world about smart meters... I haven't taken steps to defend myself against my smart meter, but I see Amazon sells a Smart Meter shield: https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Meter-...FfT2DOw8FVJCV8FT9RORnZQGfHPPb4HxoCrHIQAvD_BwE

^ If Amazon is addressing the issue, it must be a real threat, right???

·
Registered
514 Posts
If Amazon is addressing the issue, it must be a real threat, right???
If Amazon is addressing the issue, that's proof that there are enough nuts out there for a buck to be made :p

Don

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Low level radiation is nothing compared to what's in your DNA, unfortunately there is nothing you can do about that. Fortunately I come from a long line of people (on both sides) that live healthy into their mid nineties to 100+.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I own and drive a 2013 Volt. I have a K2 Enterprises EMF reader which measures electric radiation coming off of electric wires, generators, microwaves, cell phones, etc. While driving my Volt and accelerating, I measured 20+ milliGAUSS on the scale, a series of green, yellow, and red lights, near my right leg, eminating from the center hump under the shifter. I suppose that's where the wiring goes from the battery to the Voltec. I researched electromagnetic field radiation from EV's on Google and came up with only a few studies, which are summarized here: https://www.saferemr.com/2014/07/shouldnt-hybrid-and-electric-cars-be-re.html

Are you concerned?
Less concerned about EMF in a BEV than the noise from a 20kv spark plug wire lighting off thousands of times a minute.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
1. Milligauss Meter measures magnetic fields

2. 20kv spark plug

A fellow ham took a normal spark plug and passed the output into a good pass filter to take out the lower freqs and then use the output to make 10 Ghz radio transmissions.

3. Some of my ham buddies that have HF and UHF receivers in the volt say there is RF noise from the electronice
but these are VERY low level but not for a radio receiver.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
If you want to worry about something, focus on 5G cell towers. They plan on putting one on every light post in front of every house in the US. You'll then have great cell coverage and wireless streaming for every IOT item in your house, and won't need to have FIOS or Comcast come in with wires. Only problem is you will be radiated like never before.

"Everything gives you cancer" - Joe Jackson

·
Registered
1 Posts
Watch Better Call Saul for some interesting and very funny reactions to EMF by Saul's brother who is plagued with EMF sensitivity. I don't know that the real effects are, but I agree that it's everywhere and most seem to be fine. The show is hilarious though... In the meantime, I am enjoying the electronic wonder-world we've created!

2017 Chevy Volt Premier (90% electric miles) and 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD - both powered by the sun, the freshest energy you can get.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm not worried, for a few reasons....

1)

I've worked with automotive customers, helping them with their electronics designs.

The automotive manufacturers work very hard to ensure electromagnetic compatibility. They test for immunity to strong EM fields across the spectrum. They also test to ensure there is a minimum of EM radiation across the same spectrum. They test the electronics for tolerance to alternator load dump (alternators output can go from 13.8V to 75V if the load current changes from 95% to 5%). They test for proper operation at -40C (-40F) and 100C (212F), and when powered from 16V down to 6V. And nothing can be damaged or operate abnormally when normal conditions are restored.

The fact that the car is now an EV is actually a minor concern after developing the drive train.

2)

There are standards for EM exposure at radio transmitting sites. Depending on the frequencies, power, and antennas involved, federal regulations may require exclusion zones (keep people out) around radiating antennas. These regulations must also be observed in vehicles with radio transmitters.

3)

Perhaps you remember reading in your electronic appliances user guides something about FCC Class A and Class B emissions limits for home vs office devices. Or that these devices must not interfere with other devices, and must accept interference from other devices...

4)

The AM radio receiver in your car (remember those?) could not operate in the presence of strong EM fields.

Conclusion )

Nah... I'm not worried.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We live in a sea of electronic fog, among other threats like glyphosate, fluoride, mercury, water and indoor and outdoor air pollution, and nobody knows how it all affects us in the short and long terms. Your odds of getting cancer are now 1 in 2 for males and 1 in 3 for females, both staggering statistics. Corporations are quick to make a buck but less concerned about health effects of their marvelous and time-saving inventions. For instance, Ford knew it had a problem with Pinto gas tanks exploding in rear-end crashes, but chose to litigate victims' lawsuits rather than recall and fix an $11. part because the overall cost estimates were lower for the former. EV's can be made safer with proper shielding to reduce or eliminate EMF emissions, but I'm wondering which company, if any, is taking the issue seriously. Wearing tin foil hats is not the answer, either.

·
Registered
589 Posts
We live in a sea of electronic fog, among other threats like glyphosate, fluoride, mercury, water and indoor and outdoor air pollution, and nobody knows how it all affects us in the short and long terms.
Sure we do. If one takes a clicker and counts the bodies going into mortuaries (people do), it's clear that all this gloom and doom about modern science, engineering, and chemistry is nonsense. In aggregate, these things are leading to people in society living longer:

We could probably make a good quality of life discussion, though. (Life was a lot different before I had this photon blaster in front of my face and plastic board under my fingers...)

Wearing tin foil hats is not the answer, either.
If it makes people feel good, I don't understand why they can't wear the foil hats. It's a lot easier than paying attention (or taking it, in the first place) in physics class.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Long life has more to do with your DNA than EMF, the food you eat or the pollution around you. In my extended family, no one had/has cancer (except one cousin had a bit of skin cancer in her 70's but an simple operation got rid of it). All lived into their mid to late 90's and some 100+. All current generation, (60's, 70's) are in good health (one cousin, a retired longshoreman) has a back problem. Some of us were farmers, some city folk or some combination there of. None have paid any attention to this fad or that fad. It's all in the genes. Those without such luck try to find other excuses for it from EMF to you name it. A lot of money to be made in that route as people will grab onto anything.

·
1,027 Posts
I think the EV has the least amount of EMF I am exposed to. My PC and Television both generate WAY more. My cellphone blows them out of the water by several orders of magnitude, exceeded only by my hair dryer, microwave and my electric stove and air conditioner.

I don't even want to know how much the 6T MRI I've been in, or the 23.5T NMR I use at work everyday is doing to me.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
As a long time SCUBA diver We always need extra lead weights so I started making my own when the price got to 5 to 10 a lb.

( the lead on the belt is last on and first thing people drop if in trouble or take one off -so my friends are always losing my lead )

I got a great deal once on lead - went back to get more and they were out.

They said come back in 2 years when they needed to replace the secondary reactor shielding again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts