GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017, parked nose in garage, totally dead and will not jump from under hood. Need to unlock transmission and push outside, plus would like to open hatchback. I crawled into the back and popped out the 1 inch by 1 inch compartment and noticed what appears to be a 1/4 inch square (like a socket extension) however its too big of a square. The car has been intermittently having a hard time shutting off- like every 6 weeks or so refuses to shut off and had to play with the power button and shifter.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Do the interior lights come on? Do the parking lights work? If so, have you tried to remote start the vehicle using the keyfob or the MyChevrolet App?

Contact OnStar at 1-888-466-7827 and ask them to communicate with the vehicle and see if there are any error codes.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
See my signature for a simple hatch release tool... it's not 1/4", it's 5/16" (you can often use an intact large flat screwdriver in a pinch). Also, there is a way on gen1 to pop off a cover on the right side of the shifter area and use a screwdriver to release it so you can put it in neutral even without power. I don't know if exists on gen2 or not, though. Sorry I don't have a link handy for that one...

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I don't think there is any need to push the car out of the garage. Just open the hatch and replace the battery. Then the car should start up just fine.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I don't think there is any need to push the car out of the garage. Just open the hatch and replace the battery. Then the car should start up just fine.
Isn't the latch for the rear hatch electrically operated?

I am curious though as to why the front jump points under the hood aren't functional. Perhaps they can provide enough power to at least get the rear hatch open unless it has a blown main fuse.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
You could manually open the hatch from the inside in the first generation. You can find some good pictures of how it worked here: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?19341-can-not-open-hatch Likely your 2017 MY has a similar system. However, it seems easier to simply jump the car by connecting under the hood. To avoid too much drama I have a small battery pack which can be used to jump the car. You don't need a lot of power since you're powering on a computer not cranking an engine. (In truth I've never needed to use it. Will be interesting to see if it works when or if I do.)

·
4,851 Posts
2017, parked nose in garage, totally dead and will not jump from under hood.
What do you mean by "will not jump from under hood" ?

You can easily use the under-hood 12V terminals to connect jumper cables and provide enough charge to your battery. However, to jump ANOTHER vehicle, it is not recommended to use these since there is so much current draw for a traditional vehicle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts