GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Go to GM website and to contact us then to email us near top of page and urge GM to keep making the Volt. It is an awesome one of a kind vehicle that is technically advanced. GM has announced plant closings and one is Volt production plant.

·
Registered
678 Posts
You would simply be wasting your time. It is a done decision.

·
Registered
104 Posts
From what I understand, they're only closing the plants temporarily because they have a surplus of new vehicles. No point in making more cars if you already have too many. What we need is higher gas prices. :p

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I think what they need to do and it remains to be seen whether they will is consider leaving this drivetrain available for use in other vehicle types.

Because for now, they clearly do not want to produce as many sedans as they are.

The biggest open question is does GM see any further need for the voltec platform as opposed to just going for pure BEV on vehicles. Personally I think it makes a lot of sense for bigger, heavier cars to avoid huge (at least for now) exorbitantly expensive batteries.

To me that’s the one issue I would like some clarity on from GM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
It's just not Volt plant that is closing down but plants that produce some of the other smaller cars. At $2.99 per gallon, people are buying SUV's and trucks be it American or foreign. Yes there are small cars but not many, most people give lip service to Global Warming but aren't yet willing to have it affect their travel preferences. If gas prices were the $6.50 to $7.50 per gallon of Europe you would see a sea change. There are only a few (like most of us) that do it for the EV experience. That's why I did it. I'm retired and don't do a lot of traveling so I wasn't going to save a lot of money on gas. The cut back on small cars was inevitable, Ford already announced it some time back. Nothing the unions or small car consumers can do until the market demands it.

·
1,027 Posts
Yeah that wont work. The only thing that might be effective is if you could get hundreds of volts to blockade their offices or homes and get their attention.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
I think what they need to do and it remains to be seen whether they will is consider leaving this drivetrain available for use in other vehicle types.

Because for now, they clearly do not want to produce as many sedans as they are.

The biggest open question is does GM see any further need for the voltec platform as opposed to just going for pure BEV on vehicles. Personally I think it makes a lot of sense for bigger, heavier cars to avoid huge (at least for now) exorbitantly expensive batteries.

To me that’s the one issue I would like some clarity on from GM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry, Honda is already using the "clarity" name. :)

I do think the Voltec drivetrain needs to be beefed up for GM's trucks and SUVs. The electric motor torque would really be helpful in a full size work truck.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
It's just not Volt plant that is closing down but plants that produce some of the other smaller cars. At $2.99 per gallon, people are buying SUV's and trucks be it American or foreign. Yes there are small cars but not many, most people give lip service to Global Warming but aren't yet willing to have it affect their travel preferences. If gas prices were the $6.50 to $7.50 per gallon of Europe you would see a sea change. There are only a few (like most of us) that do it for the EV experience. That's why I did it. I'm retired and don't do a lot of traveling so I wasn't going to save a lot of money on gas. The cut back on small cars was inevitable, Ford already announced it some time back. Nothing the unions or small car consumers can do until the market demands it.
When gas prices were $4 a gallon the Chevy Cruze was the number one selling car in the US.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The only thing that would be effective would be for thousands of buyers to buy '19 Volts between now and March. E-mails? Forget it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The gall of GM to make a business decision that would benefit the shareholders... Ridiculous...

Bottom line, as was already stated, people want the SUV.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The gall of GM to make a business decision that would benefit the shareholders... Ridiculous...

Bottom line, as was already stated, people want the SUV.
Nothing to do with any benefit to shareholders whatsoever. The cost cutting measures will only benefit selected executives. And, as publicly traded company, GM won't go anywhere but down.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Go to GM website and to contact us then to email us near top of page and urge GM to keep making the Volt. It is an awesome one of a kind vehicle that is technically advanced. GM has announced plant closings and one is Volt production plant.
Just went to gm.com
Clicked on contact us
And there was no email us near the top of the page as you indicated (or anywhere on that page for that matter).

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
GM has done their home work, they know financially it is not a winning position for them to continue the Volt line. Now a nice looking SUV with the same type of Voltec system; one that has 50-100 miles of pure 100% electric range, and a fuel efficient gas engine that obtains 40+ MPG would be a winner. All the other so called plug ins when full propulsion power is needed even with a full charge in the battery the gas engine will start to assist in extra propulsion power, a total fail in my book. Thats why we have a Volt and no other
plug in.

I know the Honda Clarity is a good alternative choice for the Volt but it is not a 100% pure electric vehicle with a full charge in the battery. Take both a fully charged Volt and a fully charged plug in Honda Clarity to the track. Bury the accelerator to the floor on each and tell me which one, the Volt or the Clarity, starts the gas engine for extra propulsion. I bet a years salary it will not be the Volt....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nothing to do with any benefit to shareholders whatsoever. The cost cutting measures will only benefit selected executives. And, as publicly traded company, GM won't go anywhere but down.
I tend to disagree as any decision that effects the bottom line of a company, will have a direct effect on what the shareholders receive at the end of the quarter.

What ever sells product, the company will pursue. GM has realized that sedan sales won't benefit the company any longer, so they are no longer producing. As a result, the share holders (and executives) are happy.

It's unfortunate that people may loose their jobs, and it's unfortunate that the car we all love is going away, but in the end, it's a business decision in a cut throat industry.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I know the Honda Clarity is a good alternative choice for the Volt but it is not a 100% pure electric vehicle with a full charge in the battery. Take both a fully charged Volt and a fully charged plug in Honda Clarity to the track. Bury the accelerator to the floor on each and tell me which one, the Volt or the Clarity, starts the gas engine for extra propulsion. I bet a years salary it will not be the Volt....
As stated on the forum by a Clarity owner the gas engine will not start unless you push the accelerator past the detent
(when floored). How many times have you floored your car (Volt or other wise) other than for fun. In my case once. As for the rear quarter quirky style for aerodynamics, trunk only, see through rear deck, weird cloth dash, well I you can live with it or you can't.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts