GM Volt Forum banner

ELR warranty

5547 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Loboc
trying to post again:

new ELR owner having just traded my '13 Volt with 29k for a '14 ELR with 28k. Volt continued to offer 35 mile range whereas ELR is only showing 25 on full charge. is this an indication of a failing battery pack? relative to warranty, the car was originally sold and title in PA. PA is part of the California-spec warranty program. does that warranty stay with the car or does the state of current registration, NC, now apply?

"However, California’s 10-year or 150,000-mile AT-PZEV emissions warranty applies if you buy and register your ELR or Volt in California or in these states that have adopted California’s rules: Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington. The California-spec warranty does not allow for degradation of the battery’s capacity. If it’s not performing to “the highest standard” — that is, as new — during the warranty period, G.M. must repair or replace it, according to David Clegern, a spokesman for the California Air Resources Board.'
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3,684 Posts
This is a strange law.

.... The California-spec warranty does not allow for degradation of the battery’s capacity. If it’s not performing to “the highest standard” — that is, as new — during the warranty period, G.M. must repair or replace it, according to David Clegern, a spokesman for the California Air Resources Board.'
All Li-ion powered products have some degradation.
The fact that a PHEV can hide any degradation makes this law work.
PHEV's use a portion of the battery's capacity in the middle and can mask any degradation for a long time.

How does this law work with BEV's?

As always, it's wintertime. Wait for spring before getting bummed with your ELR !!

· Registered
747 Posts
Also as the car is new to you, in addition to waiting for warmer weather (25 miles in winter is pretty normal) give it a few charge/discharge cycles as the previous owner may not have been driving in the most efficient manner.

· Registered
218 Posts
Yeah wait until summer. Honestly the most I have gotten from my used my14 28k ELR is about 40 miles once. It's usually 38 range. Also it pulls more from the battery pack 12.5kwh. Ironically whoever owned the car prior to me did not use the gas generator too much. I think the first time I filled the tank it showed a range of 150 miles. Much better now and closer to 300m after being used properly. So don't trust the gauges too much until it learns your driving habits

· Registered
10,014 Posts
My 2014 fell into the 25mi range when it was cold. Even here in sunny Texas!

As others have said, warm weather is your friend for range.

BTW, GM has never had to replace a battery pack for degradation. They are well designed. Your's would be the first that I am aware of.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.