GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ELR: Slight "thunk" when pressing accelerator pedal and why electric drive is better

A few weeks when on a two lane road backed up at a four way stop, I noticed a slight "clunk" when pressing and releasing the accelerator pedal. Thought at first it might just be the incline or the weather or something unusual but I found I could reproduce it. Thinking it might be a bad bushing but having no real idea, yesterday I took it to the dealer. The diagnosis was a bad nut which was holding the right axle. The report was that they tightened it and the noise went away, but the protocol requires that the nuts for both axles be replaced.

Since the parts needed to be ordered I opted to leave the car and get a loaner. My choice was an SRX or an ATS. Having had an SRX as a loaner before I went for the ATS, figuring a smaller car would be more to my liking. Well, the ATS is nice enough but holy cow it does not compare to the ELR. It's funny. My comparison to the ELR is the Volt. That's not a huge difference in driving dynamics. In both cars when you press the accelerator the car goes. Not so on the ATS. You press the pedal. Nothing happens. Then the engine roars and you leap forward. A bit unnerving! :) It's also freaking noisy! At least for someone like me who is tactile, it would be hard indeed to go back to an ICE. On the highway cruising it's fine but otherwise not so much.

I also had the opportunity to listen in to the regional Cadillac representative explain the new ELR. The new one looks just like the old one. According to him, the increased acceleration was made possible to tweaking the front suspension to handle the greater forces. He also noted/admitted that between the price cut and the increased content of the base ELR, the actual price cut was about $15K. That has been my read. He and the salesman who had sold me the ELR tried to give me a hard time for snapping up one of the close out units. I told them I appreciated their over pricing the ELR so they had to do a fire sale to clear out the final inventory! :D

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Good to know. So far, zero problems with mine.

The mid-size they loaned me was very unrefined compared to ELR.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Nice. Now imagine people with Teslas, where the car not only goes immediately and quietly, it goes immediately fast. With GM's positive attitude tocelectric and finally going public on falling cell prices that should translate to cheap batteries with large format cells, electrification of premium segment cars is looking inevitable.. (They also basically dissed fuel cell even while saying they're partnering with Honda).

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
You likely had an ATS with the 2.0 Turbo motor. Going from EV drive to a turbo motor is night and day. You really notice the turbo lag as you wait for the turbo to spool to make power. On one of my more recent business trips I had a Ford Escape with a 2.0 Turbo motor. It felt like an eternity for that thing to make power. And the fuel economy was worse than a V6 mini-van (I make this trip a lot and have driven a lot of different rentals using similar driving patterns). Ecoboost my AS.....

·
Registered
918 Posts
2016 ELR with Performance Package

I also had the opportunity to listen in to the regional Cadillac representative explain the new ELR. The new one looks just like the old one. According to him, the increased acceleration was made possible to tweaking the front suspension to handle the greater forces. He also noted/admitted that between the price cut and the increased content of the base ELR, the actual price cut was about $15K. That has been my read. He and the salesman who had sold me the ELR tried to give me a hard time for snapping up one of the close out units. I told them I appreciated their over pricing the ELR so they had to do a fire sale to clear out the final inventory! :D
Don,
I was at the local dealer Friday for minor warranty work (replace torn door latch cover). They had one 2016 ELR with Performance Package (Brembo brakes - front only, Dunlop SP Sport summer tires, etc.). I like the new logo without the crest, and I also liked the front grill which is more subtle compared to 2014. Here are some pics:

Brembo.jpg IMG_20151002_111629588.jpg Grill close up.jpg Front.jpg

Oh, and my CA legacy plates finally arrived which I've ordered over a year ago when I thought I was getting another black car. The new plates stand out A LOT more than the last ones (whale tail). Hope it doesn't attract too much unwanted attention...

Legacy Vader.jpg

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice. Now imagine people with Teslas, where the car not only goes immediately and quietly, it goes immediately fast.
I might want to go slower. I really don't go and don't want to go that fast in the electrics. It's such a zen experience. When I need to take off even the Volt gives me enough zip. The base Model S is very quiet and smooth, so I can't see ruining the experience (or getting the nosier more expensive versions).

You likely had an ATS with the 2.0 Turbo motor. Going from EV drive to a turbo motor is night and day.
Yes it was a 2.0L turbo. But it was almost as bad when I had the SRX which has a 3.6L. Overall I think I like the ATS better and it fits easily in the garage -- it's not as wide as the ELR -- but the SRX was nice on the highway. On the issue of MPG, today when I left a light, I pressed the accelerator, the engine spooled, and with a loud roar we shot forward. My wife looked at me and said: "Sounds like a gallon of gas".

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was at the local dealer Friday for minor warranty work (replace torn door latch cover). They had one 2016 ELR with Performance Package (Brembo brakes - front only, Dunlop SP Sport summer tires, etc.). I like the new logo without the crest, and I also liked the front grill which is more subtle compared to 2014. Here are some pics:

Oh, and my CA legacy plates finally arrived which I've ordered over a year ago when I thought I was getting another black car. The new plates stand out A LOT more than the last ones (whale tail). Hope it doesn't attract too much unwanted attention...
Black goes with everything! I think they look good. Probably better with a black exterior but there are different blacks, and sometimes being completely different works better than being a shade off. Looks pretty cool actually.

Don't remember the front very much but I agree the new logo looks better. I think when you lose the circle the horizontals work better than the rectangles. Don't think this grill would have worked with the older badge and don't think the old grill would work with the new badge. The interior is identical AFAIK.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I might want to go slower. I really don't go and don't want to go that fast in the electrics. It's such a zen experience. When I need to take off even the Volt gives me enough zip.
Agree completely. If getting to 60 in less than five seconds was important to me I'd have kept my C6 Corvette.

Not only is turbo lag an issue, but a car with an automatic has to decide which gear to engage when you goose the accelerator, causing yet another delay. As far as the 2016 ELR is concerned, I couldn't care less about getting to 60 one second faster. I probably wouldn't notice. I like that the car jumps as soon as I step on it.

As far as any Tesla is concerned, when I can buy one for less than $33k after government incentives (like I did with my ELR) I might consider one...that is, if I can ever get over having to always plot where to get my next quick charge. I can't imagine paying $120k for a car and being hesitant to take it on a long trip...a la Bill Maher's comment as to why he also owns an Audi.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Black goes with everything! I think they look good. Probably better with a black exterior but there are different blacks, and sometimes being completely different works better than being a shade off. Looks pretty cool actually.
Thanks Don.

Don't remember the front very much but I agree the new logo looks better. I think when you lose the circle the horizontals work better than the rectangles. Don't think this grill would have worked with the older badge and don't think the old grill would work with the new badge. The interior is identical AFAIK.
You are right - the new logo and the new grill work well together. Minor change, but I think it shows ELR team paid attention to details with 2016 upgrade. Performance Package is supposed to come with new sport steering wheel as well, but I didn't poke around inside to look for the change...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nice. Now imagine people with Teslas, where the car not only goes immediately and quietly, it goes immediately fast.
What I imagine is the Car and Driver editor who had to stop 14 times to recharge the battery on a 1500-mile trip. Ridiculous. Doesn't sound "fast" to me at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts