GM Volt Forum banner

ELR Repair -- Trim and Actuator

7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Vn-Vet-Volt 
#1 ·
In case anyone has a similar problem going forward, we need some repairs to the ELR. One is pretty simple. The metal trim on the back driver's side has come loose. Simple replacement fix.

The other is the seat actuator. For a few months we've been intermittently getting a buzzing and a message that read "Service Driver Assist System". Things seemed to be functioning normally but we did take it to the dealer. It took a bit but the technician diagnosed the issue as being a faulty seat actuator on the driver's side. It's the actuator which buzzes your seat when you drift out of your lane.

The parts are ordered and we'll schedule a date for the repair when they arrive.

#3 · (Edited)
They replaced all the external chrome window trim on mine. It is a known issue with the adhesive tape. Both sides were coming loose. Under warranty.

Recently, I had ‘shift to park’ message which required a complete shifter replacement. Under warranty.

I also had a dead center console screen. Replaced under warranty.

Replaced the wiper blades myself with Bosch units. Indestinguishable from originals.

Right now (literally sitting in the car!) I’m updating the NAV maps. USB install. 65% done in 20mins.

Need tires next.

#6 ·
They replaced all the external chrome window trim on mine. It is a known issue with the adhesive tape. Both sides were coming loose. Under warranty.

Right now (literally sitting in the car!) I’m updating the NAV maps. USB install. 65% done in 20mins.
Loboc,

When they replaced your window trim did they have to take out the back side windows to install the trim? My dealer told me this is what they had to do on another ELR? The dealer told me that they have to bring in a glass expert to install them, but I don't understand why when ALL these trim pieces are pretty much just glued on? As you stated, these trim piece are a known problem on the ELR from the loose glue problem to them fading from rain spotting as is the case with mine. I've been waiting two weeks now for the trim pieces to come in, I guess they are coming from China?

BTW: For tires, please read what myoda said he installed on his ELR: "got BF Goodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S tires after pouring through a boatload of reviews from Tire Rack and other sites." I think he seems pretty happy with them.

Also, How do I go about getting a NAV maps update? Thanks!

#4 ·
I will say the ELR has not been as solid as the Volt. Must be karma for the big discount!

Interesting the actuator will kill the hi/lo beam switch. Didn't notice this but I rarely drive at night anyplace this would work. Nice to know though.

Yeah, tires are next for me as well. Keep us posted on what you're thinking. I haven't looked at which tires would match the specs. I had a dead center console, not just the screen, but it was fixed with a software upgrade. No NAV maps upgrade for me. I always use the phone.

#5 ·
I will say the ELR has not been as solid as the Volt.
I didn't keep the Volt as long, but, it was starting to annoy me. The charge door kept popping open for one thing. That and the weak radio, the no-power-seats, the suspension, the road noise (because of hatchback design), and a bunch of other eco-car things on a $43k car. ELR is WAY better in every way.

I'm thinking Pure Contact, but, might go Michelin. I'll probably wait until spring. Mine haven't hit the wear bars yet, but, they're making more noise.

#9 ·
FYI Steve, As I discovered, there's No need to make an appointment with a dealer because you can get them online @ https://here.navigation.com/north-america/2017-map-update-available-select-gm-vehicles, and save $110 @ much less than the $250 you stated.

Save $20 and Get Free Shipping for Select GM Map Updates

Through December 31, 2017, select map updates are available for $139.99, $20 below the standard price of $159.99. This discount also includes free shipping. See below for a complete list of applicable vehicle models.

Each map update features thousands of miles of new and modified roads, along with the latest points of interest including fuel stations, parking garages, restaurants, hotels, and much more.

Updating your map improves routing accuracy and can help you drive with greater efficiency. Whether you're on a road trip or just commuting to and from work, update your map and navigate with confidence.

No coupon code is required to receive the discount. Click the button to return to the homepage where you can select your vehicle make, model, and year. Your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is required to order.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.