GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else having an issue with the chrome trim fading to dark spots around the side windows? Will Cadillac replace these cheap chrome trim pieces under warranty?

·
Administrator
20,188 Posts
Pictures?

It may be a B2B warranty repair depending on the car's miles/years.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think the part you are referring to is aluminum not chrome ?

I assume it is clear anodized? If that is the case it’s possible you have somehow rubbed off the anodized area that is now turning black.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I have not but my ELR is garaged. Might make a difference.

I'd take it in and have it fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the part you are referring to is aluminum not chrome ?

I assume it is clear anodized? If that is the case it’s possible you have somehow rubbed off the anodized area that is now turning black.

I never rubbed anything off on whatever these trim pieces are made from (i.e. aluminum/chrome) so that's not my issue. The car sat on a dealers lot in Kentucky for two years before I bought it, and its been garage kept since the day I drove it home 14 months ago. I'll be taking the ELR to my local Cadillac dealer to see what they think the problem is because it's still under B2B warranty until July 2020.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After waiting two months for the new aluminum trim for my windows to arrive at the dealer, it was installed yesterday at the Cadillac Dealership @ no charge under the B2B warranty. It looks great - nice & shiny! I was pleased with the job that took 4 hours to complete. The Service Manager said this is a common fading occurrence for these pieces on some ELR's, and mine was the 2nd one they did at their dealership.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
looks like a visit to the cadi dealer for me.

C

·
0 Posts
This is a common problem with anodized aluminum trim. It's kind of concerning it's going milky so quick on the ELR... some 1980s Mercedes have gotten to that same level of cloudiness at this point. And it's a bear to fix... you have to remove the hard anodization then keep the bare aluminum polished up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts