GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I noticed the other day on the way home that the display was acting erratically. I discounted it as a bug but I've had the car now a couple of days and it's definitely not acting right. Just to be clear, I have done the hard reset but not the fuse trick that I have heard of. Any case, since I just bought the car and it's still under warrantee, i'll probably just take it in and hopefully get the 2016 CUE module.

Anyways, seems like the screen acts like it's being contacted in multiple places at the bottom. This of course freezes the screen because it thinks its being touched. Seems to happen more when messing with the radio channels. I can definitely tell this because it will actually chance the station in thinking that it's being pressed a while. I re calibrated the screen as well. Any thoughts before I take it in?

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Mine had to be replaced. The tech said it was common in all Caddys.

My symptoms were that the bottom of the screen became unresponsive to touch. Then the middle. Then the whole thing. Cadillac service had it replaced in one day. I don't think they used any newer parts. All the apps and screens were the same. I did lose some settings though like all the radio pre-sets.

·
1,027 Posts
Pull the fuse, or disconnect the 12v battery in the trunk. I never had any success with the "hard reset". Pulling the fuse is quicker if you have the right tools and know how to open the fuse door.

Make sure the radio is dead and the steering wheel and dash LED lights go out when you pull it to know you pulled the correct fuse.

If it still acts up, just go get it replaced.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys, finally got it replaced yesterday at the dealership. Didn't take too long. I really wasn't overly impressed with the new 2019 xt5 SUV loaner. Looked like a supped up Mercury Mariner. What I did like was the updated CUE system in the car. Really wished they would have installed the upgraded version of the CUE on my car. I don't even think they gave me the 2016 CUE but i'm not really sure.

·
1,027 Posts
From what I've seen they just replace the plastic touch cover over the screen rather than the whole HU now. Apparently having them backordered because EVERY SINGLE ONE WAS DEFECTIVE forced them to make a cheaper way to repair it. So your halfassed CUE is now a 1/100 assed repair too.

The only way you can get a new cue or hmi now is if your whole HU/HMI dies in warranty AND the parts are out.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting, I always thought it was glass. I don't really care for the tactile feel of the screen. I preferred the volt's screen.Oh well, at least it works.

·
1,027 Posts
Interesting, I always thought it was glass. I don't really care for the tactile feel of the screen. I preferred the volt's screen.Oh well, at least it works.
Might be glass. I'm just glad I'm still under warranty, tons of people with the older cue have their screen dying or spider cracking and cadillac was telling everyone to pony up $1200-2000 to fix it.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
so I noticed the other day on the way home that the display was acting erratically.
I've always thought that CUE acting erratically in an ELR was actually a design feature that Cadillac included to make sure even fewer people bought the car.

How I hope that Caddy re-releases the ELR as a full electric going up against Tesla. The newer CUE is much better in 2018/19 Caddys, and that ELR is a work of art, inside and out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts