GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw an ELR commercial on NBC coverage of opening ceremony. It was more about branding than the ELR but hey it was a real commercial on TV. And Olympics no less? What the odds we will see a Volt commercial.

·
Registered
743 Posts
There was an earlier Volt commercial. Father and son driving across the desert and son asks what happens when they run out of electricity. Really well done.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I saw TWO commercials for plug in cars during the Olympic opening ceremonies

I was thrilled to see the ELR ad last night! Was also pleased to see the BMW i8 ad.

Increased public awareness of any / all plug-in vehicles is a good thing, in my opinion.

In Alabama, I doubt we get local market TV ads for the Volt, but I'm glad to hear some folks are seeing them.

Cheers,

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Short but impressive, especially how fast he changed into a suit! That is Neal McDonough who played the "Tin Man" in a modern version of the "Wizard of Oz". He was the "Tin Man" because he was trapped inside of a large Tin Can:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0910812/

·
Registered
236 Posts
The ELR really is an amazing looking car.
Sure is. I think the purpose of the ad was more of a "branding" exercise for Cadillac. It highlights the great style of the new Caddys. They can't possibly expect to sell enough of those cars to justify any amount of advertising spend.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Actually I saw a Volt in a Chevy commercial. A guy was loading a Christmas tree in the rear hatch. Of course the rear of the Volt was covered in snow.
I saw that too, and backed up the TV and got a screenshot. I was shocked, because I thought that perhaps GM had forgotten that the Volt is a GM vehicle. :( Come to think of it, in the commercial it's actually not a photo of the Volt, but rather it's a photo of someone holding a smartphone showing a picture of someone loading a Christmas tree into a Volt. And like you say, the back is covered with snow, so only Volt-nuts like us would recognize it. So I guess GM feels safe being several steps removed from actually showing a full screen shot of a Volt. ;)

Below is the screenshot from the ad that ran during the Olympic opening ceremonies:

On a somewhat similar note of Volts on TV (or at least YouTube), my Volt actually made it into an official Tesla video! I met the Tesla team on the Tesla "Coast-to-Coast" challenge in Newark, DE, and there's video of the Tesla's crossing into New Jersey. I remember passing the two Teslas on the Delaware Memorial Bridge. The two Tesla's were going slow in the left lane, which I thought odd at the time, but now I see that they were shooting video and wanted to get both cars side-by side going onto the Del Mem bridge (at 2:07 in the video). You can see my Volt in lane number two at 2:09 on the video. http://youtu.be/AX90oDuwhPk

At first after looking at the video I wasn't 100% sure if it was my Volt or a Chrysler 200 that was part of the Tesla entourage, but after checking out the tail-light & license plate configuration, I confirmed that it's a Volt, and I was the only Volt in the area. And I just thought about it: That's the last photo I have of my Volt. I just turned in my leased 2011 for a new 2014 (also leased).

In case you somehow ;) miss my Volt in the video, I took a screen shot:

\

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I wonder what's behind the 'First Ever ELR' statement..... could it be a hint that more electrified Caddys are to come? :confused: ;)

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I wonder what's behind the 'First Ever ELR' statement..... could it be a hint that more electrified Caddys are to come? :confused: ;)
Just inane marketingspeak.

A couple of years ago Subaru used to advertise that the Outback was "...still the world's first sport utility wagon".

Huh?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Watching the Olympix tonite I saw the ELR commercial. What more can I say? It rocked.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The Find New Roads ad is here: The picture above is at 0:47

Opening Ceremony - #TheNew | Chevrolet

The guy with the tree posted that picture on Facebook in the Chevy Volt Owners group.
From Jonathan Smith, Dec 8, 2013.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sure is. I think the purpose of the ad was more of a "branding" exercise for Cadillac. It highlights the great style of the new Caddys. They can't possibly expect to sell enough of those cars to justify any amount of advertising spend.
Yes, that's exactly what it is. Totally in line with what Cadillac's new ex-BMW chief marketing guy has said. In fact you can think of every ELR as a show car, but instead of making just one of them for an auto show, they are making a couple of thousand of them for wider impact.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts