GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Thanks a heap, FloridaMatt! Your link, above, led me to the one, below, which sucked up another 16 minutes on the web ... but, what an interesting watch! Leno always has an interesting show and this one, on the 1918 Cadillac Type 57, is well worth the time! They don't make 'em like they used to, for sure! (Also, glad to know when Leno will do his show on the ELR, thank-you-very-much ... and, welcome to our forum!)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Video is up: http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/2014-cadillac-elr/1433420/

I think it looks pretty dang good in silver. Unfortunately, the "performance" does not seem to be materially different from the Volt (as we've all discussed) or I think Jay would have commented on the delta relative to his own Volt. It is, what it is.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Note that the interview is being conducted while moving along at a good cip with the windows down. No booming, and sound levels low enough to talk withou shooting.

·
Registered
85 Posts
What a looker. The ELR that is.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I wonder if the steering wheel paddles are only momentary "L" for regen, or if you can toggle back and forth. If it's momentary only, I can see it being a challenge to maintain regen while turning the wheel.

It seems the engineer sidestepped Jay's questions about direct power from the ICE, overheating the battery, and leaving the car "running" for extended periods. Clearly Jay knew more about the mechanical aspects of the Voltec than the GM guys.

They were more focused on taillight fins and the LED light-blade than what the car can do.

·
8,680 Posts
Two interesting tidbits I hadn't heard before... First, while we'd heard LED headlights and LED brake lights have been featured as a safety benefit on lots of cars for years, this is the first time I heard "all exterior lights" are LEDs. No more bulb replacement. :)

Second, the ELR apparently has a timer and shuts down after 2 hours in park. I know we've had several folks here that accidentally left it on all night - and since the car won't charge if plugged in after it's already on, they didn't get charged, and did use gas. So the addition of a timer is interesting.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
... the ELR apparently has a timer and shuts down after 2 hours in park. I know we've had several folks here that accidentally left it on all night - and since the car won't charge if plugged in after it's already on, they didn't get charged, and did use gas. So the addition of a timer is interesting.
Indubitably. Then perhaps the 2014 Volt will have automatic shutoff too. I wonder if, when plugged plugged in, the vehicle will begin charging after an automatic shut-down.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No Locking Cap on the Battery Coolant

The engine compartment looks so similar to the Volt. Other than the locking cap on the Battery Coolant which I suspect is no longer needed to satisfy the NTSB (or general hysteria about battery fires).:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
The engine compartment looks so similar to the Volt. Other than the locking cap on the Battery Coolant which I suspect is no longer needed to satisfy the NTSB (or general hysteria about battery fires).:)
They really could have prettied up what's under the hood with some plastic engine covers like many other car companies do (like lexus)

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
It looks reasonably nice in silver. Interior is cool. But Leno's reactions reinforced my feelings that this is a tarted up Volt 1.0, and as such remains a disappointing effort from GM when 3 model years have gone by. No doubt they're looking for low investment with high return, but I still don't think the ELR will find too many buyers given the expected price. It wasn't even clear to me that Jay would buy one!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Anyone else notice the horrible fitment of trim pieces and panels? The charge door doesn't even look like it fits! They also mentioned it's the first car to have LED headlights? UM.. Audi has been doing that for years now.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Like to thank Leno for a decent review of the ELR.

Hey all us Volt owners can go an get stickers .... "Powered by Cadillac" LOL!

Things I Really liked & was impressed with .....:cool:
Centre Console
Gear shifter standard more practical.
Regen Paddle -Excellent !
All LED Exterior lighting.

Not so ... :rolleyes:
Driver display - prefer the Volts
Low front end overhang - still ?

Shocked at::confused:
GM build quality on that particular ELR in the video.
Bad Fit of:
Chrome Door trim
Lower Qtr Window chrome trim - really bad even for a pre production model.
Rear lower side trim to Body
Rear side Quarter bumper to body - this is harder to fix as the rear bumper nappy do not have much adjustment even if they are soft.

Let hope for a Caddi they get the quality sorted as the expected customer will be fussy !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts