GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had four EVs of various sorts, and now are enjoying our second Volt.
An urgent requirement has arisen for another car to drive about 8k miles per year, and I'm thinking about an ELR - a 2014, not the unicorn. An acquaintance (friend of a friend) has a nice one with 77k miles on it. Our total cost would be $22k after tax/registration/transport to us, and that transaction would absorb nearly all my extra cash.

HOWEVER:
I worry that we'd soon face a failing battery or other major maintenance expense. How reliable has the ELR been? How long will that battery last? What will a replacement cost? Also, how much ELR skill remains at Cadillac dealers?

Opinion?

·
Registered
33 Posts
We've had four EVs of various sorts, and now are enjoying our second Volt.
An urgent requirement has arisen for another car to drive about 8k miles per year, and I'm thinking about an ELR - a 2014, not the unicorn. An acquaintance (friend of a friend) has a nice one with 77k miles on it. Our total cost would be $22k after tax/registration/transport to us, and that transaction would absorb nearly all my extra cash.

HOWEVER:
I worry that we'd soon face a failing battery or other major maintenance expense. How reliable has the ELR been? How long will that battery last? What will a replacement cost? Also, how much ELR skill remains at Cadillac dealers?

Opinion?
I know this is a Volt and derivatives forum. But before I spent 22k on a 77k mile ELR (and I LOVE the ELR) I'd honestly go buy a brand new Prius Prime. You can still get $4,000 customer cash in NY and for now get the $4,502 tax credit. You can snag a low end model for $21,000 or so. 2021 model year and up have a 10 year 150,000 mile hybrid warranty, regardless of State.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
815 Posts
But then you'd have to drive a Prius instead of an ELR. Of course, if that interests you, drive both.

Don't worry about anything VOLTEC related, it's all the same as the Volt. Battery will last the same, reliability is the same. It looks fantastic, has a really nice interior.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Prius? Been there, done that! It's like driving an empty beer can, arguably the least solid-feeling vehicle since the Yugo.
I wonder if that 2014 should be blessed with a third party warranty...
?

Reactions: Bill Step

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
get the elr,,you'll love it.
I've been driving my car hard since I got it.nothing has fallen off it yet.:p
I'll need tires by the fall

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bought a 2014 in black w/ tan interior - a great combination. 47k miles, clean history, properly cared for by an owner who loved it, visibly perfect condition. Drives and looks like a new car. It's a vast improvement over my Volt, though there's much in common. Very pleased!!

Reactions: Bill Step

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
815 Posts
Congrats, welcome to a very exclusive club.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts