GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Problem below SOLVED by disconnecting 12 v battery for 2 min and reconnecting.

Same ELR with hung radio back in August 2014.

Center stack is completely blank. No button lights on the stack or on the Steering wheel. OnStar does not work blinking red light.

No Audio.....screen above steering wheel says Audio off....cannot be turned on from buttons on the stack,

Most control buttons on the steering wheel (heated wheel, cruise) DO work. Air conditioning controls on the stack DO work.

Fuses to this are OK. Have tried a radio reboot.

1st Technician could not find out what was wrong. Will try another dealershiop on Monday.

HELP!

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I believe I had the same problem. A software update fixed it. I also believe another member or so had the same issue. There is at least one bulletin about this, though it may not sound like it's exactly on point. But it was in my case.

The technician should look at PI1126. Or have them run "blank display" through the GM eSI search engine. The problem affects other Cadillacs so this shouldn't be the first time they've seen the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ELR first issue - instrument cluster went blank driving home

I have seen a few threads regarding issues with the center stack, but have not found any regarding the instrument cluster. Driving home my instrument cluster went blank for a few seconds and seems to have rebooted. I did not notice any other issues while using the radar cruise control, audio or climate control while this was happening.

I am about a month into my new car and wonder if this warrants a service visit, realistically I am not sure what the dealer would do if they were unable to duplicate the issue.

·
Banned
289 Posts
My friend's ELR has exhibited this problem so many times (even after replacing the cluster) they're giving him a new 2016 as a replacement (on lease)

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I screwed this up. I didn't read the second post closely enough and thought it was a repeat of the first, so I merged the threads. However, there seems to be two different issues. One with a blank center stack -- which doesn't resolve -- and one with a momentary blank DIC.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Blank Center Console Stack Clarification...not an ssue with instrument cluster

To clarify. there is no issue with the instrument cluster. this is completely blank center console stack (above thhe gear shift) and STEERING WHEEL finger button lights out.....and onstar out.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Had this same issue when we took out our ELR on an extended test drive. The dealership simply replaced the entire CUE head unit. We've had no issues since taking ownership.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
OK, so I didn't screw up. Seems like the same issue. I believe this is a known issue with C.U.E.

If you go to the thread the Loboc cites you can find my entire saga. But the short story is that, even after I printed out and gave them the bulletin, at first they said they were going to replace the head unit. I wasn't all that happy with that -- it seemed messy. But after a second call to GM they decided that a simple upgrade would fix the problem. Viola, problem solved.

Funny how we got two of these problems in one day after not seeing one for months. Must be sunspots or something. Anyway, I think that one possible reason for the dealerships not figuring this out is the time difference between the build and sale dates. GM fixed the issue at some point in 2014, but many ELRs didn't move until 2015. Compounding the timing issue, in my case the build date on the car suggested the bulletin didn't apply but in fact it did.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
SOLVED!!! Disconnected 12 v battery for 2 minutes.....reconnected...everything working. Guess i need to go train the dealer who couldn' t figure it out!

Thank you bentbiker....now i remember that is what I did last year when only the radio went out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had a similar problem when mine was new. Turned out to be temperature related. When I parked it in the hot sun, it would freeze or not come on. I verified by parking in the sun with a towel covering the dash and stack. No problems. Removed the towel and 30 minutes later, reoccurred... If you continue to have problems, might want to consider that. Replacing the stack solved it all...
That black screen on CUE is a heat sink!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts