GM Volt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys – here’s a video of my ELR performing 0-60 mph right at 7 seconds with the battery depleted to around 50% (17 miles) to represent average results. (Sorry for the terrible quality)

I found a way to trim off a second by using a “launch method” to where I hold the throttle to the floor with the brake applied, them release the brake.

This method avoids the processor delay, since when you push the throttle there is a small delay since the processor has to negotiate there was throttle movement, to what proportion, then add the throttle in a linier fashion before there is actual movement of the car. You can test this for yourself by suddenly adding throttle from a stop, there is a noticeable 1-second or so delay prior to movement.

By using the launch method, (brake & throttle) the processor applies a small amount of throttle (2-4 kw load) so there is current already applied to the motors windings, and almost no delay of movement once the brake is released.

There is other ways of obtaining even quicker speeds with the use of the generator running in Mountain mode, but the battery needs to be below 10 miles of range so the engine is running in a “charge recovery” mode (higher speed) I’ve had it in this mode and at times it will run even while the car is stopped and of course results in even quicker times since you now have the amperage of not only the batteries but that of the generator as well. When the generator is running at full speed from a stopped position, she really leaps off the line.

You can see in the video the generator does not come up to full speed until the car is at 30 mph, so there is a loss of performance at the start, but she gets rolling quickly as the generator speeds up. I would guess the ELR’s speed to 100 mph would be very acceptable since the engine would push it up there quickly. While it’s not exactly the same, the generator helps to almost double the amperage somewhat like having an extra battery pack would.

All this 0-60 speed information is strictly for information purposes only, and does not contribute to make the car anything it wasn’t before, we all know the ELR is not designed to be fast, it’s designed to be economical and dependable. Myself, I feel the ELR has more than ample acceleration and speed for any driving situation, I have no problem passing or jumping on X-ways, at least for myself, and using this as a transportation vehicle, I don’t need to get to 60 mpg in 3-4 seconds.

Regards - Mike

·
Registered
6,677 Posts

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The Model S has a horrible repair record and no doubt this type of thing contributes. LOL
http://m.truedelta.com/Tesla-Model-S/reliability-1095/vs-Volt-1048

I hadn't checked before, the Model S does look fairly bad. The 2014 is even worse if you log in to look at it, about 22 times as many repairs on average (109 per 100 vehicles vs 5 per 100 for that year Volt).

Benefit with something like the Tesla, even with so much power, the lack of shifting transmission should help reliability of the drive train.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Interesting video and thanks for posting it. To be honest, I found out in the test drive of my ELR and my Volt, to be more than fast enough for my everyday driving. If I wanted a 4 sec 0-60 time I would have bought something else.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
To be fair, almost none of the Tesla's repairs are powertrain related, where about half of the Volt's are. ICE's are less reliable. Tesla seems to have a lot of issues with body electronics.

·
Registered
14,024 Posts
It's called a Flux Capacitor.....
That's not right. If you used the flux capacitor, that would allow you to jump in time, ahead or behind., but you still need some mechanism to launch the car to 88 mph. No you need Mr. Fusion to generate enough power to hover and really take off 0-60 in 2 seconds. Alas, I'd much rather install an FTL drive out of one of the Vipers from Battlestar Galactica.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
To be fair, almost none of the Tesla's repairs are powertrain related, where about half of the Volt's are. ICE's are less reliable. Tesla seems to have a lot of issues with body electronics.
Hmmmm........ From Jay Cole's article on InsideEVs.com:

Recently Edmunds sold their long-term Tesla Model S; but before they did so the car had four (yes, four) drivetrains replaced by Tesla Motors. Motor Trend’s long term car is working on its 2nd.

This does not make us ask the question “is drivetrain failure a common occurence in the Model S?”

Because it is.

If you check out the latest numbers on a Tesla Motors Club poll, you will find that 75 (supposed) Model S owners have had a least 1 drive unit replaced - 12 of which have had it replaced more than once.

It's the danger of percentages. 50% of a small number can be a lot smaller than 25% of a large one. It also depends on what you consider a drive train problem. I don't think we've seen that many drive train failures as I'd define that, but someone might define a drive train failure more broadly.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Tesla discovered what the mainstream auto makers have known for decades, figure out a way to grab the cover of car magazines and in this day of instant communications a YouTube video of of Tesla laying waste to some uber high end automobile is priceless.

Give them credit, but I suspect they will be seeing many of these cars at their Service Centers as owners beat the hell out of their cars.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Tesla discovered what the mainstream auto makers have known for decades, figure out a way to grab the cover of car magazines and in this day of instant communications a YouTube video of of Tesla laying waste to some uber high end automobile is priceless.
Agree that from a drive train POV the problem is all those Walter Mitty types zooming around. I can't remember exactly but I think Nissan denied warranty claims for GTR owners who used (or didn't use) launch control? Zooming can be fun but it stresses the car. More zooming more stress. That was the point of Jay's article BTW. It's easy to stress a Model S because you don't get the audio or tactile clues that you're pushing the car more than it likes.

I rarely push the Volt for that reason. I keep thinking that I want the battery to still be working well at year 10. Luckily with an electric you don't need to push it that much to get the needed acceleration.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Wow we quickly got way off the OP's main post seeming to prove the 0-60 in 7 seconds which I think deserves more credit/spotlight. That's impressive, thanks for posting!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Really tough to tell, but looking at the video timing, digital Speedo and sweep it looks closer to 8 seconds or so to me...starting around 1 second in on the video.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
While I believe your launch method might work to speed up the 0-60 time as you discovered... It also will increase the shock load on the transmission. Use it sparingly. I don't want your next post to discuss how you blew up the transmission in your ELR. (Beautiful car by the way...)

·
Registered
14,024 Posts
No, it's called free fall...
Not quite. If you drop a car from a cliff, gravity is 9.8m/sec^2, in 2 seconds you will be going 19.6 m/sec, so with 1609 meters per mile and 3600 seconds in an hour it becomes

19.6 m/s divided by 1609 meters/mi * 3600 s/hr = so you should be going 43.85 mph in 2 seconds.

You'd need about 2.74 seconds to reach 60 mph if my recollection of high school physics didn't fail me.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow we quickly got way off the OP's main post seeming to prove the 0-60 in 7 seconds which I think deserves more credit/spotlight. That's impressive, thanks for posting!

Thanks for the reply, as I mentioned in my text there is still ways to improve this further, andthis was with the battery at 50% SOC - In any account, while the ELR is no rocket ship, it has more than ample acceleration for any type of driving.

Enjoy - Mike

1 - 20 of 120 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.