GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don C's evaluation of Musk's mental state increasingly appears correct:

Elon Musk Talks Leaf, Volt; Unimpressed With Either

When it comes to whatever the rest of the industry is doing though, he's rather less impressed. And in a new interview with Bloomberg, he's given both the Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf--the two most prolific plug-ins on America's roads--a big, solid "meh".
It isn't hard to come away with the impression his comments amount to a bit of pot-stirring and reaction provoking--Volt and Leaf owners will no doubt be dusting off their keyboards already. There's more than a little subjectivity to his comments too--aesthetics is a matter of personal preference, and each car's fit and finish is more than respectable for its price point.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1086612_elon-musk-talks-leaf-volt-unimpressed-with-either-video

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
I lost some respect for Musk based on his needless name calling. Not classy.

·
Registered
228 Posts
This is what he has to say, in my opinion to survive. Tesla sells one model(sort of), and he has a vested interest in preserving sales of that model. All three, the Tesla, Leaf and Volt probably appeal to different folks. The Tesla to people who are wealthy enough to afford it, plus, if you can afford $70-100K, you probably have several other ICE cars for longer trips. The Leaf for folks who want something relatively inexpensive for a town car and really aren't that into looks or aesthetics. And our dear Volt for everyone else. Of the 3, obviously only the Volt has the possibility to do what the others do, while still able to be the only car in a one-car family. And as far as looks, I get a lot of compliments on my Volt, especially as there are probably less of them in my area than Tesla's.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Elon Musk lives and thrives in a shark tank. Don't expect him to love the sharks.

I don't think you are aware of the sharp elbows and dirty tricks that happen in the auto business. I'm sure Musk has his share of key employees hired away and suppliers suddenly overwhelmed with orders who can't deliver Tesla parts on time.

Auto execs may seem like old f*rts, but when their vital interests are at stake, they can put La Cosa Nostra to shame. Watch the movie Flash of Genius.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
...about the interval wiper guy?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
JamesMcQuaid [about fit and finish and price points]

Honda taught Detroit years ago that:
1. For many buyers, fit and finish (not having to bring a new car back to the dealer and lose a day at work) is a primary buying criterion.
2. Fit and finish is not a function of cost but of the willingness of management to seriously partner with the workers on the assembly line.

·
Registered
906 Posts
well DUH!! Musk builds a competitor's product... he is supposed to say that his is better and the other's suck.. I do the same thing!! its how you think when you create your own product and business.. if you were to give this sappy old "oh lets all be friends in the EV business and share the love" statement no one takes you seriously anyway..

this is Business its not about supposedly saving the planet or telling OPEC to screw off.. its about making money.. Musk wants to make money pure and simple.. if you dont believe your own product is the best your business may as well close up.. pure and simple....
-Christopher

1 - 8 of 8 Posts