GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2,356 Posts
Right. The Model 3 is designed to be a BMW 3-series competitor, not a mass market car as some have referred to it. That comes later.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
That's comedy.

'half the people will be able to afford a Model 3'

And he's talking to the international market.

He really has no idea how affluent the West is compared to the rest of the world. To make an "affordable" car, it has to be under $5000 USD. We can't even have affordable cars in the US and Europe. They are illegal now.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
That is a misleading statistic about half the people affording a Model 3, average car price is around $33k, but this is a weighted average, not how much most people pay for a car. For example, if you sold 10 Honda Civics for 20k each and 1 Tesla Model S P90D for 130k, your average price would be 30k, but that doesn’t mean most of those could afford the "average car", as it is 50% higher than what all of them paid for their 20k car, the expensive cars drive up the average a lot.

We need to know the Median transaction price to get a feel for what percentage of the buyers could afford a particular car, for my lame example the Median is still 20k, most of the buyers can afford a 20k car, but maybe not the meaningless average car.

Unfortunately, I can't find statistics for the median or mode transaction price on cars. Instead they give the somewhat meaningless numeric average. My guess is something like 25% of car buyers could afford the model 3, to really reach most you need something around 20k.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
^this. And then you have the 2/3 of car buyers who are buying used instead of new, so what is their median transaction amount? Even lower to be sure. It is hard for a billionaire to be in touch with the man on the street.

This is a guy that not only has his own jet, he has his own space ship.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
It is hard for a billionaire to be in touch with the man on the street.
I say this a lot, but a little differently. Being wealthy and having people know you are is a self-imposed prison. You have to live in isolation just for your own protection. It's a very different world then.

The one thing that stood out for me in a recent Obama interview was when he was asked what he looks forward to most when he leaves the White House. "Being able to take a walk outside" was the answer. That's living in isolation at its most extreme.

So I take anything and everything Elon Mush says as mush. He might be right or wrong, but I have no way to know how or when he is.

·
Administrator
19,968 Posts
This announcement is basically stating a future goal, that's about it. "Some day we will have an even more affordable car." He should start a reservation list. He's already proven he doesn't need a date or specs or a firm price. :)

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I say this a lot, but a little differently. Being wealthy and having people know you are is a self-imposed prison. You have to live in isolation just for your own protection. It's a very different world then.

The one thing that stood out for me in a recent Obama interview was when he was asked what he looks forward to most when he leaves the White House. "Being able to take a walk outside" was the answer. That's living in isolation at its most extreme.

So I take anything and everything Elon Mush says as mush. He might be right or wrong, but I have no way to know how or when he is.

I never noticed this when I'm out skiing with the unwashed public...:p

·
Registered
11,416 Posts

I never noticed this when I'm out skiing with the unwashed public...:p
So that's a pic of you, 6 secret servicemen and a security chopper?

We all had a laugh when Gerald Ford went to Vail (we were in Aspen at the time). Every time he fell down the secret service would tackle him. Kind of a cross between skiing and football. :D

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I have to imagine what is meant by this is that the next car will be an entry-level-priced new car, which at this point is about $15,000 to $17,000. Considering the base Model 3 won't even have as much range as the Bolt, is he talking about releasing a < 200 mile range car?

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
So that's a pic of you, 6 secret servicemen and a security chopper?

We all had a laugh when Gerald Ford went to Vail (we were in Aspen at the time). Every time he fell down the secret service would tackle him. Kind of a cross between skiing and football. :D
You mean everyone doesn't Heli-ski?...:rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts