GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"[...]November 18, 2013

The Mission of Tesla

By Elon Musk, Chairman, Product Architect & CEO[...]"

"[...]Our goal when we created Tesla a decade ago was the same as it is today: to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport by bringing compelling mass market electric cars to market as soon as possible. If we could have done that with our first product, we would have, but that was simply impossible to achieve for a startup company that had never built a car and that had one technology iteration and no economies of scale. Our first product was going to be expensive no matter what it looked like, so we decided to build a sports car, as that seemed like it had the best chance of being competitive with its gasoline alternatives.

I suspected that this could be misinterpreted as Tesla believing that there was a shortage of sports cars for rich people, so I described the three step “master plan” for getting to compelling and affordable electric vehicles in my first blog piece about our company. This was unfortunately almost entirely ignored.

In order to get to that end goal, big leaps in technology are required, which naturally invites a high level of scrutiny. That is fair, as new technology should be held to a higher standard than what has come before. However, there should also be some reasonable limit to how high such a standard should be, and we believe that this has been vastly exceeded in recent media coverage.[...]"

"[...]Third, to reinforce how strongly we feel about the low risk of fire in our cars, we will be amending our warranty policy to cover damage due to a fire, even if due to driver error. Unless a Model S owner actively tries to destroy the car, they are covered. Our goal here is to eliminate any concern about the cost of such an event and ensure that over time the Model S has the lowest insurance cost of any car at our price point. Either our belief in the safety of our car is correct and this is a minor cost or we are wrong, in which case the right thing is for Tesla to bear the cost rather than the car buyer.

All of these actions are taken in order to make clear the confidence we have in our product and to eliminate any misperceptions regarding the integrity of our technology and the safety of our cars.[...]"

Via-Tesla Motors Inc.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/mission-tesla

Shared By-

Thomas J. Thias

1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forum Moderators,

Please allow this thread to remain intact, in and on its own. Mr. Musk, in my opinion, at least rates an open, undiluted response to articles and opinion published here and other spaces.

Thank You,

Thomas J. Thias

Twitter.com/AmazingChevVolt

·
Registered
720 Posts
This is the best response by a carmaker in my short life! 30+ years
I have more confidence than ever in Tesla now!!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Good for Elon. Combined with the software update to disable the high-speed chassis lowering feature and inviting NHSTA into the investigation, Tesla is taking all the right steps now, both technically and PR-wise.

GM's response to the hysteria of the NHSTA crash test battery fire non-issue - to take any Volt back from any concerned owner for a complete, no-questions-asked refund - was also at this level. I believe only a few dozen were returned out of the thousands already sold.

I anxiously await Tesla/NHSTA's engineers' conclusions from their investigation and follow-up testing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts