GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 28 Posts

· Premium Member
19,942 Posts
I can appreciate that Tesla owners love phallic gadgets! However, other than that, it's unclear why anyone should take this seriously. I'm looking at the panels. How many kWh are they going to produce? Maybe 40 kWh on a good day. That's good for what, one charge? Half a charge? How about on a cloudy day? Better yet, how about a cloudy day in the winter in Oregon? Ba ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

You can pretend with a few. No big deal. If you start rolling out enough to matter then it's going to cost a bundle for even a limited number of charges.

Got to be careful dumping on Elon and the Model S. As best I can tell, there are quite a few Volt owners who have reservations for the Model S, me included. The Model S is far from B$ and that's not my opinion.
They're calling BS on the charging stations not the car.

· Premium Member
19,942 Posts
Just to flesh out the size of the solar array you'd need: In a good area in summer the total solar energy available would be about 1 kW/m^2. You should get that for about six hours, which means over the course of the day you'd have 6 kWh/m^2 available. That suggest you'd only need about 10 square meters to charge one Model S. However, solar arrays aren't very efficient. If you assume 10% efficiency then you'd need 100 square meters of solar arrays to charge ONE Model S. If you wanted to charge ten then you'd need 1000 square meters.

You could argue that the panels should be more efficient, but we're only looking at a 60 kWh charge, and any way you look at this it's a lot of square meters.

1 - 2 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.