GM Volt Forum banner

Electrifying muscle cars: is it a good idea?

• Heck no, it's not the same!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a daydream yesterday where I thought about taking old muscle cars and doing EV conversions on them. Yeah, it's not the same without that old V8 rumble, but they would make good cruisers.

Has there been any progress on this front? Someone call Amp or Tesla, there could be a market for EV conversions for classic muscle cars, methinks. :cool:

·
Registered
745 Posts
For the longest time, I've wanted to do something similar to a project car I have.

It's ~450-485HP and FWD - leaving the rear wheels open to an EV conversion.

The additional ~160HP of Electric propultion probably wouldn't feel like much, esp after adding the additional weight of the batteries and supporting hardware, but it would make for some great AWD launches, while make it more of a sleeper then it already is.

Cool Factor 1.
Cost effectiveness 0.

My implementation would have been pretty basic compared to what a manufacturer targeting the market could come up with though...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking more on the lines of what Amp is doing to the Equinox, Sky and Solstice, only for old F-Bodies, Novas, Chevelles, Bel Airs, Mopars, Mustangs and the like.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I asked AMP about this, and they said it would be too expensive, making different conversions for all the different muscle cars.

Maybe old-fashioned restoration shops would be willing to do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts