GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Chevrolet Volt
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Any recommendations for electricians near Boston to run a 220V line to my garage for 2 electric cars?

I've been charging my 2015 Volt with the standard 110, but we're planning for a second electric car, so we'll need some more juice.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
809 Posts
Whatever the second car is will dictate the circuit. Another Volt will need a lot less than a Tesla.

·
Administrator
20,865 Posts
Any competent electrician can run a dedicated 240v line to a garage. Get it sized for 40 amps for future proofing. The extra cost over 20 or 30 Amps is minimal as much of the cost will be labor. The 220 outlet will depend on the EVSE you will be plugging in. My Siemens requires a NEMA 6-50 outlet to plug into for example. The electrician does not need to know it's for an EV in order to install the line and outlet, it could just as easily be for an electric welder. They will want to know where to install the outlet.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I had a 60 amp sub installed in my Garage so that I could charge ours, a bit overkill for 2 volts but future proofed for sure

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I second that. When I changed my carport over to a garage, my brother in law that is a carpenter, said "do you want to put a subpanel in?" I said oh, just some extra circuits for work bench and power tools around the garage will do. Years later when I picked up a 240V air compressor for a good price, no way to operate it. A lot harder to install subpanel when the ceiling and walls are drywall finished. It sat for a few more years until I was reno'ing the house and I could lay a cable from main panel to subpanel as I now had access to floor from the top but still had to do some fancy fishing. Even if fiddling with cars isn't your hobby, putting in a subpanel isn't that big a deal. Just make sure you get the electrical permits and inspections done.

·
Administrator
20,865 Posts
I had a 60 amp sub installed in my Garage so that I could charge ours, a bit overkill for 2 volts but future proofed for sure
Nice! My ONE charge station ( lol) shares my electric dryer's 240v circuit with a 240V switch between the two. So either the dryer is powered or the EVSE, never both at the same time. I don't need to charge both cars at the same time. If I did, your setup would be great!

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Nice! My ONE charge station ( lol) shares my electric dryer's 240v circuit with a 240V switch between the two. So either the dryer is powered or the EVSE, never both at the same time. I don't need to charge both cars at the same time. If I did, your setup would be great!
Yeah and I had the runs from the sub panel done with 10 gauge wire to the ESEV to boot so upgrade to 7.2 Kw charger is on the ragged edge of wire capacity. currently running 15 amp breakers on the ESEV line which is under the "required" capacity on the Voltec and Clipper Creek but they never trip. (7200 / 240) = 30 amps. BTW my first Voltec with the orange cord puked from a gecko getting inside, poor guy was toasted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts