GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The nice thing about the volt is the flexibility, electric and gas. When there's a free (or cheap) charging station, it's a no brainer, charge up your car.

But what if it isn't free (or close to what you pay at home)?

How many times have you seen a charging station (chargepoint is the big name here in florida), and you see that they're going to charge 25cents/kwh, or 50cents a kwh, or $1/hour (or the charging is free, but the lot is $1/hour).

Now if you're driving an electric only car, you might pay 50cents/kwh, but with the volt (if you have gas in the tank), you don't have to. So I created this spreadsheet to help figure out at what price per kwh or per hour of charging it's equal to the current price per gallon of gas.

The fields in green are the ones you can edit, the ones in red are the final results.

View attachment volt-charge-gas-calc.zip

·
Banned
301 Posts
I bought an electric car that has the ability to drive as far as I want. The key word being electric. If you wanted to save money by using gas you could have bought a similar gas car for about six or seven thousand less than what you are driving today. So, for me as long as it is somewhat close (meaning it is not going to cost me $10 to charge) to what gas goes for it is an easy choice of what fuel to use in my ELECTRIC car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts