1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Yet another piece where the author is predicting a future that is already happening.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Yes, that future is beginning to happen......but it sure would happen alot fast if and when we have convenient, fast charging locations for all to access when traveling or simply when in need for a few more miles.

·
Registered
657 Posts
For most drivers, visiting the gas station is still easy and fast and convenient. Gas stations are just about everywhere. When we have that same kind of convenience for electric cars things will take off.

·
Registered
500 Posts
For most drivers, visiting the gas station is still easy and fast and convenient. Gas stations are just about everywhere. When we have that same kind of convenience for electric cars things will take off.
LOL! I've had better convenience than a smelly gas station for almost 7 years. Plugin every night, full in the morning.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
$4-5 per gallon gas would push EVs along too.
I think higher gas prices only work in the very short run. Prices spike, people freak, and then they adjust. The old "high" becomes the new "normal". I'm sold on the advantages of an electric drive and the convenience of charging at home, but if you never experience these advantages I'm not sure you'd be tempted by higher gas prices. Not that it would hurt. It would help a bit. But for the longer term people are going to have to be sold on other advantages.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
$4-5 per gallon gas would push EVs along too.
Thing is, as fewer cars use gas, there would be more supply and less demand. Prices would actually fall. Econ 101.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
...t for the longer term people are going to have to be sold on other advantages.
+1. Forget the 'save the world' mantra. Point out the smooth, quiet, superior drivetrain performance. Lower operating costs. Convenience.

Really, the only place where ICE wins is long road trips. Even then, Tesla has shown that it is becoming a tenuous win at best. Many folks quite happily drive cross-country in their Teslas using the Supercharger network.

·
Registered
292 Posts
+2, need to sell the electric driving experience. My wife and I started with a Volt, but I had range anxiety and hate the switch to ice. So the Bolt was a natural choice. The bolt is not a road trip car. I have done longish day trips, i.e. 250-300 miles and even that requires charging. As it gets cold like tonight I would guess my range will be slightly over 100 miles. That will take about 1.5 hrs to recharge at best, closet to 2hrs at most dcfc, so that would be almost 50/50 driving to charging.
I am pretty sure even a 100 kWh tesla wouldn't cut it for me. For me a road trip is 800-1400 miles quickly. 800 miles is about 12 hrs including stops. I have done San Francisco to Denver in just over 21 hrs including stops and sleep. Granted I was spoiled with my tdi in that it could go 600+ miles at 80mph between stops. Until we get a big increase in charge rate and lower battery cost, coast to coast road tips will only be done by the dedicated or retired.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts