GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Don't think I've ever visited the Sierra Club webpage before today, which I just did, thanks to a post on Elon Musk's Twitter feed directing me to this read (including proper citations, too, which is 'different') having to do with the Myths and the Realities of EV's and their contribution to pollution. I thought this was well done and something to drag out the next time the nay-sayers get up on their soap-box (hello Ozzie Zehner whoever you are) as if that would make any difference to those Big Oil/Coal folks:

http://content.sierraclub.org/evguide/myths-vs-reality

I was impressed that SC did not gloss-over this fact: "A caveat to consider is that when coal plants supply the majority of the power in a given area, electric vehicles may emit more CO2 and SO2 pollution than hybrid electric vehicles."

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
What states rely primarily on coal? Not saying there aren't any, just wondering which get 75% (or whatever) of their "e" from coal.

EV's get cleaner along with the grid. Not so with standard cars.

·
Registered
658 Posts
What an excellent article. I almost wish it wasn't written by Sierra Club, because it is not going to reach the naysayers and those that it does reach, will just believe it is biased because of who wrote the article. I would love something like this to get out to the real world. It's a rare article online that has citations to backup information provided.

Whatever happened to real journalism by the way?

·
Registered
803 Posts

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
What an excellent article. I almost wish it wasn't written by Sierra Club, because it is not going to reach the naysayers and those that it does reach, will just believe it is biased because of who wrote the article. I would love something like this to get out to the real world. It's a rare article online that has citations to backup information provided.

Whatever happened to real journalism by the way?
I agree. The Sierra Club has a certain stigma. I wish Reuters would publish this... or maybe some fair and balanced news agency.

·
Registered
287 Posts
What states rely primarily on coal? Not saying there aren't any, just wondering which get 75% (or whatever) of their "e" from coal.

If you go to the teslamotors.com webpage, under the Top 5 questions section of the Tesla S pages, there is a map of the US (scroll down a bit) that shows the primary source of electricity for each state. Utah, for example, gets a very high percentage of its electricity from coal according to the site.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts

Mainly the states that have large coal mines. It's cheap to mine it and burn it right down the street.
I found this site that has break downs by state:
http://www.americaspower.org/according-to-eia-data

1 - 7 of 7 Posts