GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
That's all well and good but in the mean time, can we just have a competent successor to the Bolt?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
That's all well and good but in the mean time, can we just have a competent successor to the Bolt?
Model Y?

Oh, you mean from GM...

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Model Y?

Oh, you mean from GM...
Yes, from GM.

I have been considering a Tesla but where to get parts? Brake parts rust like crazy up here with the tons of salt they put on the road in the winter. Something as simple as a brake rotor for a Tesla is impossible to find. Great when it's new but until I can get parts as readily for a Tesla as I can for a car from another manufacturer I'm reconsidering my decision.

Parts for a Tesla, especially for us that like to do basic work on our own cars is dismal.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Zero emissions future is a misnomer, but I agree electric trucks are key. My only next vehicle interest at this point is Tesla's Cybertruck. If GM comes out with a quad-cab pickup I'd be interested also. Once you get out of the city, the utilitarian, practical nature of a pickup cannot be ignored.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yes, from GM.

I have been considering a Tesla but where to get parts? Brake parts rust like crazy up here with the tons of salt they put on the road in the winter. Something as simple as a brake rotor for a Tesla is impossible to find. Great when it's new but until I can get parts as readily for a Tesla as I can for a car from another manufacturer I'm reconsidering my decision.

Parts for a Tesla, especially for us that like to do basic work on our own cars is dismal.
You could call a Tesla service center near you. I suspect they could send you the parts you need, just order through them. I think there is at least one very near your location, and you can probably get the service manual (there might be a charge for that though). Very likely, brake rotors would be covered in full by the 4 year+ warranty, which I believe you can extend to 8 years. Note that the battery and drivetrain are covered for 8 years / 100,000+ miles minimum. The official Tesla Truck battery and drivetrain warranty hasn't been announced, but it could be for 8 years / 150,000 miles like the Model S/X.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Zero emissions future is a misnomer, but I agree electric trucks are key. My only next vehicle interest at this point is Tesla's Cybertruck. If GM comes out with a quad-cab pickup I'd be interested also. Once you get out of the city, the utilitarian, practical nature of a pickup cannot be ignored.
Zero emissions can be achieved using 100% renewable sources such as wind and wave motion. However, what most people refuse to acknowledge is the full impact of any technology - all we can do is reduce this impact.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
But once you get out of the city, the limited range of an EV cannot be ignored.
My money is still on an EREV pickup.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
441 Posts
Unfortunately, most carmakers are introducing limited market, expensive, boutique trucks instead of electric work trucks with an 8 ft bed. Affordable electric trucks designed for fleet sales are what will make a difference. Not flashy boy toys. Hopefully there will be an F150 version that fits this need.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Unfortunately, most carmakers are introducing limited market, expensive, boutique trucks instead of electric work trucks with an 8 ft bed. Affordable electric trucks designed for fleet sales are what will make a difference. Not flashy boy toys. Hopefully there will be an F150 version that fits this need.
I agree, I'm more interested in a truck designed for commercial use. Here's one I've been following.

https://www.lordstownmotors.com/pages/endurance

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Road and Track published an interesting article claiming, and backing that claim using ICEV, that there are already too many different electric trucks announced. Their claim is based on the number of base models of ICEV trucks that dominate the market today, which is fewer than the number of announced electric trucks.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a30871285/electric-pickup-trucks/

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Cyber truck is vapor ware. The vehicle as proposed by Tesla will likely never appear. It is more like a F250 or 350 than what people overwhelmingly buy - the F150. In most jurisdictions, it is so heavy you would have to have yearly inspections as if it was a commercial vehicle. It's projected payload is wildly heavy - what kind of material will people load into what is a relatively small space? Just look at how the box is so far aft of the rear wheels. Fully loaded, it would be interesting to see how it would even steer safely.
I would like an electric truck - since electric infrastructure is still pretty limited, a hybrid would make the most sense.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
The Cyber truck is vapor ware. The vehicle as proposed by Tesla will likely never appear. It is more like a F250 or 350 than what people overwhelmingly buy - the F150. In most jurisdictions, it is so heavy you would have to have yearly inspections as if it was a commercial vehicle. It's projected payload is wildly heavy - what kind of material will people load into what is a relatively small space? Just look at how the box is so far aft of the rear wheels. Fully loaded, it would be interesting to see how it would even steer safely.
I would like an electric truck - since electric infrastructure is still pretty limited, a hybrid would make the most sense.
All that doesn't matter because most trucks are just used to go get the groceries anyways.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Vaporware? I hope not, I've got a deposit on one.
The GVW of the Cybertruck will probably be kept under 10,000 lbs. Figure 6000 lbs empty and 3500 lbs load. What's heavy and compact? Gravel for example, 100 lbs/cu. ft.
Long video on CT production.
https://youtu.be/_uRwZRPQ8RE

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Vaporware that Elon Musk is actually driving.

The rest of the specs on the Cybertruck are based on what people always claim they need but never use. If you don't meet those levels of requirements the "you'll pry my diesel out of my cold dead hands" mentality will take over, preventing sales.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Vaporware that Elon Musk is actually driving.
It's half vaporware because what was at the reveal was body on frame construction, not a true exoskeleton structure. And who knows if the drivetrain is anything like what the real deal will be. Sandy Munro of Munro Associates fame thinks the CT will be fantastic. Good enough for me.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
It's half vaporware because what was at the reveal was body on frame construction, not a true exoskeleton structure. And who knows if the drivetrain is anything like what the real deal will be. Sandy Munro of Munro Associates fame thinks the CT will be fantastic. Good enough for me.
CT drivetrain will be basically what has already been driving around in the Model 3 and Model Y. So 'off the shelf'. Plus the 'plaid' option which has also been seen publicly for over 2.5 years in the Roadster V2, and the Model S they drove around the 'Ring last fall. The thing that will be interesting to watch is what Elon reveals at the upcoming Battery Investor Day - now scheduled for early April.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts