GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Remember, Ari_C archived 81.8 miles in a gen1 with a smaller battery, but driving 20-25 mph in a closed loop for 4 hours. I agree with loboc, just drive and don't worry about the range. if the meter wasn't sitting front and center on the dash, (like in many ice vehicles) you wouldn't give it a second thought. Black electrical tape works well.
I have a 90 mile round-trip commute, no place to charge at work, so optimizing range versus time is critical for getting the most value out of this car. Sure there are others who need data to make informed decisions about routes and driving habits as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,964 Posts
I have a 90 mile round-trip commute, no place to charge at work, so optimizing range versus time is critical for getting the most value out of this car. Sure there are others who need data to make informed decisions about routes and driving habits as well.

I have a 50 mile round trip with no place to charge a gen1, and I used to try hard to get that magical 50 miles of range, but somehow after the 2 year mark I just stopped trying to eek every mile out of the car. I slapped on a set of gorgeous 18" rims, added some deep treaded tires (which hurts the mileage) and drive 70 MPH on the interstate now. My lifetime mileage dropped from mid 90s to low 80s but it still blows away any Prius, so I'm happy.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hello ,,,,,I now have a 56 mile RT/28 each way. On the way to work I will usually do the slow lane, as i get to work early anyways. On the way home if I do 70MPH+ in the HOV instead of 50. I would get home about 10-9 minutes sooner for a cost of about a extra 30 cents. Plus the gas that was used for doing 5 more miles on the ICE . Add another 40 cents for a total of 70 cents. Using the previous data. Granted, Over a year that can add up but...

Getting a good EV miles day can be a good game. If I have a chance to get high EV miles I will do so, but usually I am looking forward to the one Bottle of beer i have when getting there. Maybe even two on Friday. So I do not have impressive KW/miles data but that's OK. It is a choice. I commend those who go slow strickly to be green.

(.361-.253) x 28 miles=3.02 KW-hr x 10c/kw-hr. If I did that math right. 70 cents is not worth 10 minutes for me, maybe a $1.50 And I can not always do 50MPH in the slow lane anyways. The AM is worse for slow people then PM

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
If fuel was $5 a gallon this thread may be more relevant. However, when the cost of gas is cheap, drive it like you stole it.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts

Well then I believe it's actually in the owner's manual that electric drive is most efficient up to 50mph. Speed is just one variable. Terrain matters too. You have little control over weather, traffic, detours, etc. Probably the most sensible course is to keep up with traffic maybe stay off highways if it doesn't add too much time to your commute. I'm not so sure more data is going to be that helpful. For a given commute, I think direct experimentation is going to be needed to find the "optimum" route.

·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Add in the cost of tolls for the 75mph route versus a free 60mpg route, and this becomes more complex...and the time wasted refueling... and you seem to forget that it isn't about savingon electric, it is about saving on gas I have to use once electric runs out.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I normally drive the speed limit, and on my long drives from Indiana to Mississippi that means about a half hour of driving 40 or slower, a half hour at 55, and 8 hours at 70 mph. In my fuel economy calculations I subtract out the EV miles to get the "just on gas" economy. That means the first hour where I am on EV is taken out of the figures almost entirely so virtually the entire trip is done at 70 mph on the ICE. Doing this at 70 mph gets me 38 mpg in the CPO 2011 Volt. I recently had to transport 3 cats with me on the trip... I figured the fuel economy hit from doing 10 mph over the speed limit was worth it to cut over an hour off of the total trip time. Doing the same drive at 80 mph (same weather conditions and climate control usage) got me 32.9 mpg. Some of the time savings was eaten up by having to make two gas stops on the trip instead of one stop, but over all it did save significant drive time. So for me, driving 80 mph dropped me down to 87% of the fuel economy of driving 70 mph.

I am not looking forward to making the trip in a Toyota Corolla rental car while my dealership tries to find out if my Volt was totaled by a lightning strike, but it is rated at 37 mpg highway and uses 87 octane so it shouldn't cost me more than the volt to do the drive.

Keith

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Add in the cost of tolls for the 75mph route versus a free 60mpg route, and this becomes more complex...and the time wasted refueling... and you seem to forget that it isn't about savingon electric, it is about saving on gas I have to use once electric runs out.

I'm not forgetting. In fact I pointed out that there are more variables and that you'd actually have to experiment to see what's optimum for your particular commute.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think I found it. There are a lot of images of volt in wind tunnels. They usually show the smoke following the tail of the car - i.e. a clean airflow. But the brochure image shows the engineer wearing goggles and the smoke lifting just off the back of the roof. I suspect that they made it very efficient at 55mph and less so above this. But I have a plan. I have been looking at vortex generators for aircraft and wind turbines. (not the cosmetic ones). I plan to do some video's with ribbons to see the turbulance and then add the vg's. Based on the wind turbine results, correct placement should be able to keep the efficiency at 70 :)

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I think I found it. There are a lot of images of volt in wind tunnels. They usually show the smoke following the tail of the car - i.e. a clean airflow. But the brochure image shows the engineer wearing goggles and the smoke lifting just off the back of the roof. I suspect that they made it very efficient at 55mph and less so above this. But I have a plan. I have been looking at vortex generators for aircraft and wind turbines. (not the cosmetic ones). I plan to do some video's with ribbons to see the turbulance and then add the vg's. Based on the wind turbine results, correct placement should be able to keep the efficiency at 70 :)
I am not an aerodynamics engineer, but from what I understand, vortex generators are used to improve LOW speed laminier attachment (making slow air "stick" to wings and control surfaces better), and they overall INCREASE drag. The tradeoff is Good for the airplane or windmill because it makes it more effective/controllable at slow speeds, and that advantage *outweighs* the higher drag. Which sounds like the opposite of what you want.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Vortex generators are sometimes used along the rear edges of large boxy vehicles like semi-trailers and motor homes and they can reportedly improve MPG and also reduce sway caused by wind. I'm not sure if they can help a Volt. I think they are very sensitive to placement and their angle relative to the airflow.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Wind tunnel optimization is so complex and often counterintuitive that I suspect no matter what you do to it, you're going to make the drag coefficient worse.

Mike

21 - 32 of 32 Posts