5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,720 Posts

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Their marketing should have used a better name than Scalmalloy (the powdered aluminum ALM used).

Mallory metal is a super dense alloy used for balancing. It's claim to fame is it's twice as heavy as iron or steel.

Then Scam has a bad English translation.

So "Heavy Scam" is what comes to mind, when in fact it's supposed to be the opposite.

I don't think they are serious about selling motorcycles, it's just a showcase to aerospace manufacturers that it is affordable technology now.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Um, I'd spend the money on a tesla model S, even if I have to pony up a little more.

Here's hoping that liquid metal will someday make it into the mainstream.

http://liquidmetal.com/

It's currently available on high end watches and golf clubs. Apple has their technology locked up for consumer electronics in a funky licensing deal. But it would be cool to have a car made out of liquid metal.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Here's hoping that liquid metal will someday make it into the mainstream.

http://liquidmetal.com/

It's currently available on high end watches and golf clubs. Apple has their technology locked up for consumer electronics in a funky licensing deal. But it would be cool to have a car made out of liquid metal.
That is very interesting. You can learn something new every day. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
That is very interesting. You can learn something new every day. Thanks for posting.
The cool thing about liquid metal is that it is injection molded like plastics, so you can make parts that might be impossible with traditional metalworking techniques, it's technically metallic glass. Imagine driving a glass car!!!! I guess it's not too different than the BMW i3 which is technically a plastic car with carbon fiber to add strength.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Better not shatter like glass....

I can see 3-D printing tech. get better and cheaper using stronger materials. Injection molded metal is intriguing as well. Both have huge implications.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
There has been injection molded metal for a long time. It's called die cast.

The best magic trick is lost wax casting, aka investment casting, which is even older, but can make parts you'd think were impossible to cast or injection mold or 3D print.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts