GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Electric car rental program introduced in Orlando by Drive Electric Orlando (http://driveelectricorlando.com).

Drive Electric Orlando lists Nissan and Chevrolet among its partners. It also lists Sea World, Universal, and Walt Disney World as partners. From the partnerships it doesn't seem like a stretch that the Volt will be offered as a rental and that the theme parks will provide public charging stations in the not-to-distant future.

select PARTIAL quotes from various articles:

-------------------------------------------

A car rental company is offering a fleet of plug-in electric vehicles in Orlando, and drivers won't have to pay for gas under a recently launched initiative.

The new program, called Drive Electric Orlando, was announced Thursday morning.

Tourists who rent one of the 15 available Nissan Leaf cars from Enterprise Rent-A-Car in Orlando can charge the fully electric vehicles at hotels, near theme parks and even outside of city hall, all for free.

There are about 300 charging stations in the greater Orlando area, and under the program, AAA will charge the car for free if it runs out of juice.

Source: http://www.firstcoastnews.com/rss/article/326619/4/Electric-car-rental-program-introduced-in-Orlando

With more than 56 million visitors a year, Orlando is a prime location for the project, the Coalition said. What better place for introducing Americans to driving electric cars than the nation's top vacation destination and the world's largest rental-car market?

"There's still a ton of misperceptions out there among drivers about these vehicles," said Sam Ori, executive vice president for the Electrification Coalition. The goal in Orlando is to give tourists and business travelers an extended test drive and "turn those people into future buyers."

Among its fleet of about a million vehicles, Enterprise Holdings — which includes the Enterprise, National and Alamo car-rental brands — boasts just a few hundred electric vehicles. The Orlando program will start with 15 Nissan Leaf electric cars, though organizers hope to expand grow the fleet as demand increases. Chevy, which makes the electric Volt, has also signed on as a sponsor.

"We don't charge a premium, nor do we charge a fee if someone does not bring it back with a full charge," [Nathan Prior, director of business rental sales for Enterprise in Orlando] said.

Source: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-electric-car-rental-orlando-20130904,0,5410861.story

Here's how it works: Once a driver rents the Leaf (at a cost of about $30 a day or less) at the Enterprise counter at the Orlando International Airport, they can stop at any of the kiosks in the area when the car has a low charge. More than 25 hotels, including The Peabody Orlando and Renaissance Orlando, have charging stations, and valets will charge the cars overnight. Other large public places, such as the Orlando Convention Center, have charging stations in the parking lot.

There are no charging stations inside the area's theme parks, but there are many nearby — and organizers say more charging stations are "in the works." Renters are more likely to charge their vehicles at hotels overnight, they said.

"We want people to be comfortable with the technology," [Lisa Martini, a spokeswoman for Enterprise Rent-A-Car.] said.

[Robbie Diamond, the president and CEO of the Washington, D.C.-based Electrification Coalition,], along with other officials, say that many people like the idea of fully electric vehicles like the Leaf or the Chevy Volt, but are worried about how far the car's battery will go.

If the vehicle's battery dies entirely, then AAA will come to charge the car for free.

Source: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/program-introduces-electric-rental-cars-120314091.html

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I just posted this over at the Tesla forum; members there have been struggling for years with Disney to get them to put in any meaningful infrastructure, with the same crowd control form letter "No" responses, and some attempts to provide L1 (such as a 10 amp 110 outlet?!!)

This is VERY welcome news.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wonderful to see that Orlando is doing this. Let's hope this is the start of something to come. We travel to Naples and there is only one charging station. Even the GM dealer doesn't have one. The condo association where we go won't even let us use a 110 outlet. We drive Frustrating. Manufacturers of electrics, why are you not partnering with a hotel chains to put in chargers? Seems like a no brainer to me!
I know travelling to Florida from Michigan I would only stop at Hotels that had chargers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Down by the attractions there is slim pickings for car charging. I hope this opens to door to reasonably priced charging.

Currently on I-Drive there is charging at the convention center for free, but its quite a walk to anything else on I-Drive.
Point Orlando charges a fee to park and basically charges rip-off Walgreens rates to charge.
There is a Buffalo Wild Wings that just opened up near Seaworld, there were car chargers spec'd out in their site plan for the build, but there is nothing currently installed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts