GM Volt Forum banner
181 - 198 of 198 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
One time when I went grocery shopping, this lady approached me after I got out of my car, and told me this sob story of how she was unemployed/homeless, and asked if I could spare a few bucks to pay for a motel room she was trying to stay at for the night. I asked a couple of quick questions to determine whether she was full of sh!t (what motel? How much is the room?) and she gave believable answers, so I handed her a $5 bill, and told her "If you aren't telling me the truth, I hope you burn in hell". She swore she was telling the truth, and thanked me and wandered off.

The very next day, when I was in the opposite end of town going to grab some lunch, a lady approaches me and starts to tell some sob story....turns out it was the same b!tch from the day before! I cut her off, and told her if I ever saw her face again begging for money, I'd call the cops on her.

From that day, I pledged to never give a penny to a beggar/homeless person. Too many spineless crooks out there. I'm just fine donating money directly to organizations I know help people in actual need.

The people who stand out there begging for money with their kid(s) kill me. I just feel the urge to yell "Get a f'ing job, deadbeat!" out the window.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Before he lost his house, he was an experienced driver just like you and I. He's no more likely to hit someone now than before he was homeless.

I sincerely hope that you never have to "steal" a few cents worth of electricity to avoid freezing.
And how does whoever he injures get compensated now that he's uninsured? Someone else ends up paying. Apparently the stealing electricity was only the tip of the iceberg of illegal stuff he was doing.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
And how does whoever he injures get compensated now that he's uninsured? Someone else ends up paying. Apparently the stealing electricity was only the tip of the iceberg of illegal stuff he was doing.
Are you suggesting we have mandatory insurance laws to ensure others don't have to pay for someone else's liabilities? Interesting...

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think I'm reasonably compassionate, but I don't think one can automatically assume someone homeless is just a poor helpless unfortunate.
...because - of course - being homeless isn't always unfortunate, nor would they be poor.

You are overly compassionate my friend.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
...because - of course - being homeless isn't always unfortunate, nor would they be poor.

You are overly compassionate my friend.
How does one know when they are too compassionate?
Are there warning signs?

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Homelessness is completely avoidable. Get a Job, Carry your weight. Its truly that simple. The guy in the van was divorced and lost his house...... Ok, get a apartment. Or weekly hotel. Do something other then sit in your van feeling sorry for yourself. GET OFF YOUR A$$! Will you live in a great neighorhood....No, but you're warm and you can regroup and develop a plan for the rest of your life.

I have no evidence other then life experiance to say this guy ended up divorced because he is a unmotivated loser.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Homelessness is completely avoidable. Get a Job, Carry your weight. Its truly that simple.
And THAT is over-simplified too.

While that might be generally true, if you would "survey" the long term homeless on the streets
of any city in the US you would no doubt find that a large majority of them are truly not ABLE
to do much of anything productive.

The problem has gotten MUCH worse slowly over the past 30 years or so, starting back when the various
government bodies all bought into the idea that the mentally ill could fend for themselves......or that
private charity could pick up the slack. NEITHER of those things has proven to be true and now there
is an APPALLING lack of subsidized care for the mentally ill......or profoundly mentally deficient.

The problem now is that the cost to re-start tax supported care for the mentally ill would be monumental.
And all the while, the homeless problem continues to grow.

The ones who have a little savvy have figured out that they are better off in jail.......so the jails become a
pathetic excuse for mental care facilities and they are becoming overcrowded.

As with many blanket statements, yours is largely untrue......and it varies a LOT from case to case.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
If you can stand on a corner, you can "Do the jobs Americans won't do". Mentally Ill, Ok, maybe I can see that, That youre jsut too Eff-ing crazy to hold a job. I'd bet thats a genuinely small percentage.

I would guess the vast majority are Drunks/Drug addicts or frankly unmotivated losers...And often both.

I'm not homeless because I bust my a$$, I feel no pity to those that aren't willing to do the same.

Again, I'm sure everyone has a extra bedroom...You feel so bad for them, let them live with you. Let them eat your food, sleep in your house and use your ulities while they sit around and do nothing......While you work all day.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
You can't convince those that pride themselves with never, ever giving a dime to any charity.

Some have a personal pride in that.

Someone else said up the thread that compassion is learned by example.

It's just too late for some to understand.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
It blows my mind that some of you think the response was proportionate and appropriate in this case, especially since the circumstances are very questionable given:

It was a public facility with parking for said facility, and the Leaf owner was parked on the facility for approved use of the facility, implying approved use of the facility's resources.

The school was not given the option to either press charges or not, this isn't domestic violence where the police officers are obligated to press charges either way. Retail outlets have the option to not press charges for shoplifting, why shouldn't the school also be given the option? Answer... they should have.
I initially thought the Police officer was went too far, but after hearing some of your responses I think this is the only way some of you guys are going to get the message that this behavior is not appropriate, and will be detrimental to EV advancement.

If the LEAF owner was like some of you, the officer did the only thing he could have done to get the message through this guy's thick skull....

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Blindly believing in your fellow man is PolyAnna at best. If someone can stand and hold a sign, they can do SOMETHING to contribute. Does'nt it bother you to get up and do all the right things, knowing that others arent even willing to step up?

Not everyone has the same skills or training, but it is unreasonable to ask people to give 100% of what they have.

Case in point, One of my friends has a brother (I guess her brother would be my friend too) with Downs and a heart condition. Hes frankly not a bright guy, and his heart is weak. He has a bicycle with a gas assit to get him where he wants to go.

He works part time at a resturant doing food prep! One morning, on his way to work his gas engine failed. He literally pedalled that bike untill he had a small heart attack and fell over. Passerbys saw him and called 911 and he ended up ok, but it could have killed him.

This young man LITERALLY almost killed himself trying to get to his job processing food for min wage. THAT is a work ethic!

So, when I see some bum on the side of the road asking for something for nothing..... Eff-him!

The Tax Paying/Taking care of his family Leaf guy deserves the juice more then some bum not willing to even trying to carry his weight.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I had a similar experience last June. I was a week away from closing on a new house that was being built and had been invited by neighbors to dinner. I parked my Volt in the driveway of my new house and plugged into the front patio 110v outlet.

A couple of hours later a pair of cops were asking for me and accused me of the same "theft of service". Because I had not closed on the house and taken over the electric service I was in the wrong. I apologized and said that my builder would have no problem with this if they wanted to call them in the morning. (they didn't even require me transfer the power for 3 days after closing) He wasn't interested as I didn't have any written permission to do it.

In the end, after lecturing me for a bit, he did end up just giving me a warning. Was I wrong to do it? Probably. Why did I get a warning and this guy got arrested? Because, it sounds like he was a jerk to the cop and I simply said I was sorry (had to fight back quite a bit of sarcasm though)

My mistake was assuming that I could plug into a house I was paying for (had well over $12k of deposits into it) and had a good relationship with the builder. What this guy did would be similar to if I had simply plugged into one of the builder's other unfinished homes or utility posts - obviously illegal.

Moral of the story: don't steal other's stuff and/or when a cop is interviewing you, don't be a prick.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My question is for the absolutists... When I visit an office for a meeting, sometimes a private company, most times a government office, I quite often plug in my cell phone or iPad if they are getting low. How is this not a theft of service? Many times the meeting is at a government facility where no one from that agency is with us at the meeting so I don't get to "ask permission." I am absolutly benefiting from the free electricity. I think the difference is, one action is expected and customary and there is a good acceptance that the cost is minimal. It is probably not as well understood that my Volt, at 6 cents per kwh in Maryland will only pull ~60 cents to fully charge and that is if I am there for the 8 hours or so it will take.

·
Registered
87 Posts
But your cell phone will not trip the breaker, and it's sucking back a tiny fraction of a cent of electricity. How can you tell if it is not signed and you don't ask, if the outlet you plug your car into is not a shared circuit with other devices? People tend to get upset about coworkers knocking the network offline because John the receptionist has cold feet so he brought in his own electric heater.
John works there. How do you think people feel when something that is critical to their job doesn't work because some random visitor felt entitled to plug their car into some random outlet nearby?

[EDIT: Also, use of electricity in a meeting room you rented, for devices that are typically used in a meeting is part of the rental fee. Except for places like Ottawa or North Bay where outlets for block heaters are customary and expected in all parking facilities, the idea that vistors will be plugging in their cars while there is not yet expected and most places are not yet prepared for it. ]

·
Registered
452 Posts
"chart"
In a complete "absolutist" point of view, if you haven't been given permission to plug into the meeting room outlet then you probably are guilty of the same offense. I doubt anyone would find a judge or jury to find you guilty though as the invitation to the meeting carries an implied permission to use the facilities provided in it.

To be clear, I think that in both my example and the guy in the original article, that the cop's were both being jerks and having a kind of power trip. My point was that by being civil, I got off with a warning but he's reaping the reward of his behavior.

Honestly, I was fairly surprised I got talked to at all since I would think that the owner of the electric account would need to complain or press charges - which they had and would not have done.

181 - 198 of 198 Posts