GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the rates are different in all states, but I was just trying to get an estimate how much your electric bill went up per month since you got your Volt. I have had mine for 3 weeks and LOVE IT....

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Nothing, but I have solar so far this year we have paid under $60 for fees, meter reading ... Plus we have about 2000 kWh in credit for a summer AC usage.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I know it has nothing to do with the Volt, but I just got my first full month bill with the Volt and it was $100 less than usual.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Lower monthly bill

Mine has actually gone down. By owning the Volt I was able to change to a Time Of Use plan. And so far the monthly bill has dropped. I only charge off peak, and we only run things like the dryer at night, or early morning, which is what we have always done. So all that is now happening at a better rate.

I am loving it.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Impact on my home bill is pretty negligible, perhaps $10-15/mo tops, though I charge mostly with public chargers that cost $25/6 months around here. However, I spent more on gas in the last week between my bike and the loaner car (while the Volt was getting assorted upgrades and tire rotation) than I had for the Volt since I picked it up last August.

Actually, with the tire rotation they washed and filled the car, too bad it wasn't nearly empty as the fill would have paid for the tire rotation ;)

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
FYI. Our pair averaged about 260 kWh over the last couple months.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Here in NH rates are relatively high. .08/kWh delivery and .08/kWh electricity consumption. My bill has been averaging about $35 - $40 more per month. I used to spend about that amount twice a week in gas.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think this will answer your question more directly... with no other changes... my electric bill is up about $45-50 per month while I'm spending about $150-175 less in gas per month.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
My net change in bill was +30 for electric, was spending 75 for gas. Had already done a lot of efficiency things
TODU metering was important for our rates.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I'm at 4.6 cents/ KWH. That's 1.8 cents/mile. Thousand miles would be $18.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My rate here is about $0.11 per kWh. My 240V station at home is on a separate meter, and I'm spending between $21-$25 per month charging. But I am also getting some juice at work. If I was charging at home only, it would be about $35/month, and I'm driving roughly 1000 miles/month. I have not used any gas since March 9th (other than a quick EMM), and I've gone almost 1600 miles in that time. Love it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Mines went down $10....from $60 to $50/month. I started doing so much public charging that I'm not even home most of the time now =D. My bill is normally reaching $0.26/kWh so I'm loving the free public chargers.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Prior to buying my Volt, I was spending approximately $250-300 per month in fuel, it now costs me about $20-30 in electricity for the Volt...saving me over $250 each month...I drive about 1000 miles per month....I love this car....

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
I have "flat rate" billing with AMERENIP of Illinois and my cost per kWh is 5.2 cents. Since the car's electricity gets rolled into my total consumption it's sort of masked by other events like a warmer or cooler month, weather or not we are home during the work week, we have guests etc. But I calculate I'll use about $20 to $25 a month to charge my Volt.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The simple answer is that over a 10-month period where our Volt has been driven about 12,000 miles, the added cost on our electric bill is about $22 per month. This is less that the impact that weather has on our bill, when comparing the same month's bill pre-Volt and after-Volt (eg. March 2011 vs. March 2012).

·
Registered
882 Posts
My cost is negligible . I use 120v charge chord at home, meaning it would be almost impossible to fully charge the 10 hours duration more than once a day. 30 days of full charges at 90 cents per charge could only hit 27 dollars. Since most of my charges are partial, somewhere between 1/4 to 1/2, you can see how the cost is very low and I have offset much of that by replacing all the home bulbs with CF's. I also grab a few battery miles from free public chargers during my local travels. Owning the Volt has made me very energy consumption concious and I have implemented other energy saving techniques as well as the CF bulb replacement, decreased use of Air Cond and pool pump, etc.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Just got my first bill and it was up $29. My previous 4cyl turbo car cost me $260/mo in gas and I used 5 gallons so far in 1200 miles @ $3.89 for premium here at the time of fill. For a net of $211.55 in my pocket this month. This car net to purchase was the same as my previous car (post rebate) thus I look at it as money ahead regardless of what Edmunds or the talk radio brainwashed like to say.

*edit* I too have started swapping our our bulbs for LEDs when I find good high lumen bulbs on sale (energy companies tend to sponsor a bulb per month). I have 2 reasons for swapping...one being the energy savings, the other being I live in Minnesota in which the state bird is the mosquito, using LED vs. conventional bulbs attract fewer bugs because LED do not give off UV (which attracts the state bird).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts