GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
2016 Premier, 63,000 miles - error code (p0401) insufficient airflow detected.

Two months ago my check engine light came on and i received an on-star notification of issues with exhaust system. I was in the midst of a 1600 mile trip using gas only. Once i returned home, i cleared the codes and the engine light. No further issues until using gas engine again which was a month later. Light returned, I again cleared and hoped for the best. CEL Light remained off. Car registration expired 12/19, so I went to renew and the car failed inspection due to a permanent fault code for EGR system. Chevy wanted $1565 to replace and the part is on back order 6-8 weeks.

Not a lot of attempts at self-fixes when I was searching the net for solution (i couldn't even find an engine diagram online for the location of EGR valve and cooler) so i paid for access to the service manual and attempted to repair myself. $16 in cleaners and a few hours of time and I was able to resolve the issue, clear the permanent fault code, pass inspection, and get the car back on the road. It won't let me post the video link to youtube due to being a new member but if someone else can, i'd appreciate it in the event others find it useful. The video title is Chevrolet Volt (2016-2019) P0401 Code - EGR Valve & Cleaning on youtube.

It's worth an attempt at cleaning before the cost of the repair.

Cheers - Rick

·
Registered
367 Posts
Congratulations, and yes I/we would love to finally see a video of this repair.....if you like you can email me the link/message me, and I'll repeat it, although I'm pretty sure ones of the Mods WILL make this a 'sticky'

radarjones at iCloud.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank Radar! Looks like Jbaker below found it and posted. I hope it helps others because there were zero videos or pics I could find posted online for the EGR system for the Volt. I had to rent access to the service manual to get a better understanding of location, removal, etc. Less than $20 in cleaning supplies and 1.5 hours fixed what Chevy quoted as a $1600 repair. I'm hoping the fix lasts a while, given my normal driving uses electric only and the issue (CEL light and fault codes) were only manifesting when I drove using the gas engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Jbaker, for posting the video for me! Yeah, that Auto Doctor app allowed me to see in real-time how many, and which of the "Readiness Monitors" were incomplete. The second I got it down to 1 I drove straight to the car inspection facility and it passed! I'll see how the cleaning holds up but short term it allowed me to clear the permanent fault code, pass inspection, and in turn renew my registration and plates (which have been expired for 2 weeks now). It was all really by random luck too. I called chevy to set up the repair and they couldn't schedule it because the EGR valve is on backorder. I saw I could get the parts much cheaper online, so I called two local repair shops but neither would install customer supplied parts. They couldn't get the EGR valve soon either, so I said well, I'll just try to figure it out myself! Saw lots of random videos of people cleaning EGR valves on other cars so I knew if I could find the valve and get it off I might be able to clean it. Really happy it worked and hope it does for others having similiar issues with their Volts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts