GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
OWWW!!! That's got to sting. :D

Fiat 500L - "Consumer Reports' Least Reliable Car of 2015. It'll get you used to the Tesla ownership experience".

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Fanbois don't care.

It's like telling an iphone Fanboi about all the things the new Samsung/LG/etc. does better.
Ouch, definitely a zinger. And not entirely undeserved.
However, the dismissive fanbois label is uncalled for.
97% of owners don't care, as the customer service from Tesla has been outstanding and the repairs for most, have been less of a pain than an oil change has for previous cars.

Would I want one of them first 1000 or 2000 Model 3s that come off the line? No, but I'll be very confident with a Model 3 after the first few thousand.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Funny. Hopefully the emerging meme will result in more attention being paid to QC, but so far all signs point to it being treated as a PR problem to be addressed by claiming it was just a few early production models.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Would I want one of them first 1000 or 2000 Model 3s that come off the line? No, but I'll be very confident with a Model 3 after the first few thousand.
This has been the response -- claiming it's just a few early production vehicles. However, if you look at the data on TrueDelta the number of repair trips per vehicle do not go down with the MY, which is what would happen if the problem was due to early production glitches. Not to mention that the warranty costs for Tesla are 5X what they are for GM or Ford.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
This has been the response -- claiming it's just a few early production vehicles. However, if you look at the data on TrueDelta the number of repair trips per vehicle do not go down with the MY, which is what would happen if the problem was due to early production glitches. Not to mention that the warranty costs for Tesla are 5X what they are for GM or Ford.
Warranty costs are typically higher on luxury cars and Tesla is still learning.
The costs are higher than Mercedes for example, however they are much closer.
Tesla also offers a much longer warranty which means they need to set aside more.

I know this is anecdotal and therefore can't be applied to the entire fleet, however our 2012 had numerous issues (all of which took less inconvenience, combined, than a single oil change) while our 2015 has had no issues.
The Tesla owners I know report similar improvement.

Update:
Ok, perhaps you shouldn't take truedelta's anecdotal evidence either. I would hardly call the reliability based on 48 Model S telling. Too small a sample size.
They even list "too small a sample size" rather than 2014 data.

·
Registered
261 Posts
"Go buy one."

Nevermind what they said about the Fiat...the above endorsement of the Volt is about as unequivocal as it gets!

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Warranty costs are typically higher on luxury cars and Tesla is still learning.
Picking at numbers is what you do when you don't like the result. It's a decent number given the actual number of Model S which have actually been sold. Moreover, Consumer Reports reached the same conclusion based on 1400 reports which indicated problems with just about everything: "The main problem areas involved the drivetrain, power equipment, charging equipment, giant iPad-like center console, and body and sunroof squeaks, rattles, and leaks". Is there much else? Plus most everyone, including those I know, report an abnormally large number of problems. E.g., http://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-s/2013/long-term-road-test/wrap-up.html

As for the warranty work being on a luxury car, fair point, and the Model S would be at the higher end of "luxury" in terms of price.

The problem seems to start at the top. Musk runs everything and he's not terribly interested in quality.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
What in eclectic bunch of cars. Two Chevy's in the mix. People buying the Prius should leave their glasses at home and avoid looking directly at it. If you run up to the car, throw the door open, and jump in, you can get inside without really having to see more than the door handle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts