1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Great post. That clarifies what we're all wanting: both extended range and keeping the status quo, but for cheaper. Very wise of GM to expand their offerings but maintaining good range. In other words, it can only get better.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I already want to upgrade! :)

·
8,680 Posts
Huh. So according to that article, they don't intend to make a Volt-lite to duke it out in the lower market with the Energi twins, HAH PHEV and PiP - instead, they're going to price what's basically today's Volt down to compete with the rest (possibly decontented?) and then build an Uber-Volt to capture today's Volt buyer and maybe some i3/Tesla buyers (or folks graduating from the gateway PHEVs...)

It's an interesting choice. If they can price with/under the PHEV crowd before tax credits (they are already close after credits,) and advertise correctly, they should be able to run the table on that side - though the lower gas mileage will likely hurt them in the eyes of the under-informed mass market.

I'll be very interested to see just what they offer in the Uber-Volt. :)

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
They should be referring to it as the 2016 Volt
Automotive industry people discuss vehicles in terms of model years NOT the calendar year
A 2015 Volt WILL NOT have the features they discuss in the article...
WOT

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Will be great if it turns out to be true. In that case I'd hope the more efficient motor is also had more power.

They should be calling it the 2016 Volt
Real automotive people discuss in terms of model years NOT the calendar year
Can we take this as confirmation of the substance? ;)

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
But will it have 5 seats????
From the Edmunds article:
The [next-generation, longer range] battery pack also will be more compact than the one in today’s car.

The redesigned model is expected to run in pure electric mode for about 60 miles and have a longer overall range, the source said.
Apparently, a more compact battery will give more AER. If you could make the current Volt battery smaller, which part of it would you remove? If the camouflage pictures we have been seeing really are the next Volt, the front seats look like they will be a little farther forward than in the current Volt. Could that and a "more compact" battery give enough room for five seats? The suspense is killing me.

Edmunds’ unidentified industry source could be wrong, but the dream doesn’t seem to be dead yet.

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
Just remember, these rumors are from unnamed sources who may or may not have their facts straight. Some of these rumors even conflict. We will likely know more a year from now.

I do like the Apple-like idea of selling the "old" version at a discount while at the same time selling the new tech as a different version presumably at a higher price. Similar to ordering options for a 4 cyclinder vs 6 cylinder as mentioned in the article, but in this case we are talking current battery/motor tech vs newer battery/motor tech.

I'd seriously consider the newer tech to get longer range for my wife. I'd then regain full possession of our current Volt. You know, the one I bought for me that she somehow glommed onto, haha.

This gives me about 20 months to clear out the other side of the garage :)

·
Registered
3,192 Posts

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
They should be referring to it as the 2016 Volt
Automotive industry people discuss vehicles in terms of model years NOT the calendar year
A 2015 Volt WILL NOT have the features they discuss in the article...
WOT
The specific wording of the article was "debuting late 2015" so it is accurate.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Great post. That clarifies what we're all wanting: both extended range and keeping the status quo, but for cheaper.
You forgot another important want: ROOM!

Hoo-ray for more range but boo if it only comes in the small cruze platform.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
You forgot another important want: ROOM!

Hoo-ray for more range but boo if it only comes in the small cruze platform.
Bigger cars = MORE batteries. MORE batteries = MORE COST.

This is why a Tesla costs $90,000 while a Volt costs $38,000.

More weight + more surface area = more DRAG which equates to MORE COST!

I just cannot explain it more simply... Big EV's = BIG COST. Small EV's = SMALL COST. OK? Got it yet?

Not just a little more cost... A LOT MORE COST!

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
Bigger cars = bigger batteries. Bigger batteries = MORE COST.

This is why a Tesla costs $90,000 while a Volt costs $38,000.

More weight + more DRAG = more COST!

It's simple.
Moderate more cost is OK. Remember the current volt can be had in the mid $20s after federal tax credits and in the low 20's for states with other incentives. So adding $10K to say a $30K car for more size and capacity won't approach the cost of a tesla. Have you priced minivans lately?

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's great to start hearing some details trickle out. It reminds me of all the talk in the beginning of the original model.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Moderate more cost is OK. Remember the current volt can be had in the mid $20s after federal tax credits and in the low 20's for states with other incentives. So adding $10K to say a $30K car for more size and capacity won't approach the cost of a tesla. Have you priced minivans lately?
No. A Volt cannot be bought in the LOW $20,000's. Show me what state has a NEW Volt in the Low $20K's? Just not so. (I wish. He says in California with the most progressive EV incentives in the country...) Please show me a showroom sticker with all of the calculations that get you to the low 20K mark. It's just not happening now. Perhaps with a 2015 model? (I hope someday...)

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
No. A Volt cannot be bought in the LOW $20,000's. Show me what state has a NEW Volt in the Low $20K's? Just not so. (I wish. He says in California with the most progressive EV incentives in the country...) Please show me a showroom sticker with all of the calculations that get you to the low 20K mark. It's just not happening now. Perhaps with a 2015 model? (I hope someday...)
$35k-$7500=$27,500. A number of states chip in more. In Illinois where llninja and I are located, that's another $4k. $27,500-4K = $23,500 for a new Volt. A steal, yes?

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
$35k-$7500=$27,500. A number of states chip in more. In Illinois where llninja and I are located, that's another $4k. $27,500-4K = $23,500 for a new Volt. A steal, yes?
Plus there are a few new 2013s remaining available at $30k - $7500 fed - $3914 state incentive, under $20K not counting taxes and fees.

That 4K rebate is 10% off base price capped at $4K so for a 2013 it is $3914 and for a 2014 it is $3418.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts