GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very excited to buy the 2016 Volt just as soon as I possibly can. I already have the electrician putting in the new charger! BUT...

It looks like I'm going to have to buy leather in order to upgrade to the safety/tech packages. This seems to miss the point of why people might be buying the Volt in the first place.

I dearly want to buy this car to lower my greenhouse gas emissions - and I'll be opting into the San Francisco renewable energy electricity program at increased cost in order to make my Volt even greener. BUT, with methane from cows 20 times more potent than carbon dioxide as a greenhouse gas, forcing me to buy leather interior in order to buy the safety technology and navigation in a new Volt seems misguided and makes me angry. It also seems to indicate Chevy isn't really thinking about who it's buyers are here.

With BMW providing bamboo dash board inserts, and Subaru and Nissan offering really great SUV packages (like safety and nav) with their cloth interiors, it seems like they're understanding what their clients are looking for.

I sure wish Chevy would catch up with their foreign competitors in this regard!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I started hunting as a teenager back in the 70s; at that time, I was also working in my stepdad's meat market. In those days, people on the left would say I was cruel to animals. Nowadays, I am commended for eating 'free range' meat...which, of course, also has zero carbon footprint. And I charge my Volt with renewable energy and use it for hunting, so REALLY zero carbon footprint.

In my time of cutting meat, I learned that the entire animal is used- even the bones and fat trimmed are collected for useful purposes. [I was told that the 'bone barrel' contents were used to make dog food, but who knows]. In any case, you must understand that leather is a BYPRODUCT of the use of cows. Demand for cows is NOT driven by demand for leather, it is driven by demand for MEAT. Don't be mad at GM or anybody else for using leather. Would you just have the hides thrown away??? If your zeal for cutting green house gasses is directed toward bovine areas, you should direct it at those who eat the meat. I guarantee that if people stopped eating beef or drinking milk, no one would be raising the cows JUST for their hides.

And if you REALLY want to take an interest in bovine methane, you should be directing your efforts toward regulating animal SEWAGE. The Chesapeake Bay is dying, in large part, because we don't have the same requirements for animal sewage that we have for people sewage.

Some farmers are collecting the methane from their cows excrement and running generators with it. Think about how far we could go if ALL sewage methane was used for power production! Driving by ANY open sewage plant is what should make you angry! Some flare the methane, but most of the methane from our own excrement is doing nothing but polluting our atmosphere.

There are many, many places that deserve your anger, and your efforts, LONG before you focus on the leather in your car. Serenity now!

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,416 Posts
No cows were involved in the production of the GM suede. I'm not sure about the "leather", but I suspect it might also be a synthetic material. Do you realize how many water buffalo farts result from farming bamboo for dash inserts? And I don't even want to think about the solvent-based coatings needed for the dash inserts.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
It's not an eco-conscious car, it's a CARB compliance car.
Is it? Why do you think this?

In regards leather in the Volt, I'm sort of with the OP because I just don't think leather is a good material for car seats, period. A flash back to some bygone age. If you want that sort of material, there are MUCH better plastic materials that you would think was better leather, and lasts longer (e.g. MB-tex in Mercs).

However, on a GHG argument? Really? How far can you stretch that sort of argument? Should burger restaurants ban EVs? Should Volt drivers only eat lentils?

Write to GM and say you don't want leather, and why can't they fix the options for you?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
It is about perception, GM should maybe market the Volt with more renewable materials, but understand that this is a minimal percentage of the car.

The BMW i3 uses some fancy sounding materials, but the fact is the car is mostly built from petroleum based plastic.

Also, most of the electricity in the US is generated by burning coal, making EVs coal burners. The benefit with EVs is their carbon footprint can improve as power plants improve, and they have no local emissions.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
F-it! The cows dead for my Burger anyways, might as well use his skin!

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
F-it! The cows dead for my Burger anyways, might as well use his skin!
Now that's being eco-conscious. Don't waste anything.

It enables selling a bazillion Silverados without penalty. First you've heard of it?

In regards leather in the Volt, I'm sort of with the OP because I just don't think leather is a good material for car seats, period. A flash back to some bygone age.
I wear leather in winter. I want upgrades without leather seats too like the OP, but it's because my leather coat gives me a good charge on leather seats and I get some nasty shocks getting out of the car.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Also, most of the electricity in the US is generated by burning coal, making EVs coal burners. The benefit with EVs is their carbon footprint can improve as power plants improve, and they have no local emissions.
Coal, although the primary producer of electricity in the US in 2014, does not provide most of our electricity (only about 39%).

http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=427&t=3

This percentage is expected to shrink as a number of coal plant retirements are planned, but no new coal plants will be build under the new EPA regulations.

In New England, as of 11 am today, coal is only providing 1% of our power needs.

http://www.iso-ne.com/

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Coal, although the primary producer of electricity in the US in 2014, does not provide most of our electricity (only about 39%).
Sorry, I should have said the largest share is from coal. In Iowa and a customer of Alliant and I am at 62% or so still from coal (2012), but interestingly 25% wind power, which is much higher than the 4.4% national average.

Anyway, my point was I wouldn't worry about CO2e impact from the minuscule amount of leather in the Volt. Look at the seats carefully, they have very little leather in them, most of it is vinyl. I wouldn't be surprised if the vinyl is as bad for CO2 as the cows were. Newer models have even less real leather, part of cost reductions.

As mentioned, all that plastic in the BMW i3 takes a lot of CO2 to produce, they mislead with their marketing about renewable resource interiors in order for it to appeal to a select group of people. Pound for pound, steel is much lower carbon footprint than plastic I believe, and also much easier to recycle than carbon fiber reinforced plastic (although the latter is much lighter and will probably pay back its CO2 in creation in reduced CO2 in coal burned).

·
Registered
32 Posts
NAUGA OR LEATHER

Personally, I’d prefer to avoid naugahide over leather. The nauga has been driven to near extinction by demand for its hide in lazy boy recliners. If you want to concentrate on eco problems, consider the poor nauga

When was the last time anyone here saw the Nauga in the wild?

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I'm gonna leave this here!

cow pig bff.JPG

·
Registered
3,644 Posts

In regards leather in the Volt, I'm sort of with the OP because I just don't think leather is a good material for car seats, period. A flash back to some bygone age. If you want that sort of material, there are MUCH better plastic materials that you would think was better leather, and lasts longer (e.g. MB-tex in Mercs).

However, on a GHG argument? Really? How far can you stretch that sort of argument? Should burger restaurants ban EVs? Should Volt drivers only eat lentils?

Write to GM and say you don't want leather, and why can't they fix the options for you?

PLASTICS is a more enviromentally responsible choice?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
there are MUCH better plastic materials that you would think was better leather, and lasts longer (e.g. MB-tex in Mercs).
Yet the MB-tex and BMW's Leatherette, still feel like vinyl to me. I don't like either of them. They are more durable, yes, but lack the touch feel of quality leather.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts