GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hello:

I just returned from my dealer, Pellegrino Chevrolet in Deptford, NJ. They performed recalls 00540 and 28340, Engine Control Module Reprogramming with SPS.

I have no idea what the recall was about but I went down to my dealer and they did it in under 1 hour.

Big Moe

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hello:

I just returned from my dealer, Pellegrino Chevrolet in Deptford, NJ. They performed recall 28340, Engine Control Module Reprogramming with SPS.

I have no idea what the recall was about but I went down to my dealer and they did it in under 1 hour.

Big Moe
Thanks for the heads up on the recall and time estimate that it takes to have the work done.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
674 Posts
I just tweeted my GM advisor with my VIN to see if it's applicable to my car (vs only some G2 Volts). Will post any reply.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Just got mine done, too. Disappointed that they had to run the ICE to test it! LOL 0.7miles/0.13 gallons! Damn!

What was weird was that, after I started driving it, the total ICE mileage and ICE mpg kept going up for awhile, even though the ICE was off. Anyone else experience this?

·
Administrator
20,810 Posts
Is this to fix "the Chuggle"?

·
Registered
483 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had the same thing happen! I was so excited when my range kept going up and up...

Just got mine done, too. Disappointed that they had to run the ICE to test it! LOL 0.7miles/0.13 gallons! Damn!

What was weird was that, after I started driving it, the total ICE mileage and ICE mpg kept going up for awhile, even though the ICE was off. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I had the same thing happen! I was so excited when my range kept going up and up...
I had a different reaction. Whenever ICE is used, MPGe goes down. Still not sure what happened, since my ICE was off when this was happening.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Is this to fix "the Chuggle"?
No, this is different from the "chuggle" Service Update Campaign Bulletin #00540 (which BTW has now been revised referring to the condition as a "surge sensation") requiring an update to the Power Inverter Module (PIM)

This Service Update Campaign #28340 which applies only to CERTAIN 2016 model Volts is to remedy a potential rough run condition occurring during EMM (Engine Maintenance Mode). While in EMM it may also result in a CHECK ENGINE lamp and DTCs P040B, P041B, P1427 and P1429 set. A revised Engine Control Module (ECM) software has been released to rectify the condition.

As with most service update campaigns (which some may refer to as a "recall which would be technically incorrect) GM will NOT be notifying owners but instead rely on the vehicle either coming into the dealer with the condition present OR ANY TIME your Volt is next into service for any reason it would receive the ECM update. Some proactive dealers may contact their Volt customers requesting they come in.

If you experience a roughness in the engine during EMM or just wish to check if the campaign applies to your Volt, you can call your dealer or Volt Advisor and provide your VIN.

HTH
Regards
WopOnTour

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thank you jeff_h for your post, I went to the dealer for the misfire recall and I explained the chuggle issue. I printed your post and it helped a lot to explain the issue.

They updated the Power inverter module and the last time the engine started on the highway (this doesn't happen often but this is a good thing!!) it was almost imperceptible. :)

·
Registered
951 Posts
Thank you jeff_h for your post, I went to the dealer for the misfire recall and I explained the chuggle issue. I printed your post and it helped a lot to explain the issue.
Glad it helped... after I got the #28340 update done in February, I later found out that there was another update for the same type of issue, so hopefully your repair order also included #32340 if it applied to your VIN. I got the #32340 done a couple weeks ago, will be in another 2-3 weeks (when EMM will come on again) whether the ICE feels any different - was only slightly choppy in the past, nothing I would have cared much about, but if the update applies OK we will see if that makes it smoother.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Glad it helped... after I got the #28340 update done in February, I later found out that there was another update for the same type of issue, so hopefully your repair order also included #32340 if it applied to your VIN. I got the #32340 done a couple weeks ago, will be in another 2-3 weeks (when EMM will come on again) whether the ICE feels any different - was only slightly choppy in the past, nothing I would have cared much about, but if the update applies OK we will see if that makes it smoother.
Yes I also had #32340 and Android Auto update at the same time. I personally did not notice something unusual during EMM before the update but I noticed the chuggle sensation at highway speed. Thanks again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts