GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I'm a new Volt owner and am looking for an easy way to turn voice navigation guidance on and off. I often find that I'd like to have the voice part on for some parts of a trip and off for others. The only way I've found to toggle this setting involves a number of clicks (dangerous to do while driving). Is there a way to toggle this with voice commands? If so, I haven't found it.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Have you tried turning the volume down when the navigation "lady" is speaking?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, so if I adjust the volume while she's speaking, then it affects her and not the music/radio? I'll give that a shot.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure why safety would preclude that. You can do lots of other things, even changing your route, with voice commands, why not toggle the nav voice guidance?

·
Registered
882 Posts
It's adjustable anywhere from "high" to "off" using the center stack volume control anytime the directions being "voiced".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's adjustable anywhere from "high" to "off" using the center stack volume control anytime the directions being "voiced".
Ok, that's cool, but I foresee one problem: If I turn it off at some point in the trip by adjusting the volume all the way down while instructions are being "voiced" and later in the trip want to turn it back on, how will I know when new instructions are being "voiced"? I can make a guess based on the fact that I'm nearing an intersection, but it would be easy to get that wrong.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
109 Posts
Probably not the exact answer to your question, but I have silenced the voice guidance by using the mute button on either the steering wheel or the center stack, but then again it silences everything including the radio.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you tried turning the volume down when the navigation "lady" is speaking?
Ok, I tried that and it helps a lot and will make the nav system usable at least. I'd still like to see them add a way to toggle instructions on and off and perhaps even an in between state, where there is no voice guidance, but a tone sounds when a turn is required (so you know to glance at the screen).

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Probably not the exact answer to your question, but I have silenced the voice guidance by using the mute button on either the steering wheel or the center stack, but then again it silences everything including the radio.
Right. I want to be able to listen to the radio during the uncomplicated portion of the route, but then have voice navigation guidance when things get tricky.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
62 Posts
Best way I've found is to use the voice commands: Hold the SRC button down on the steering wheel and when it beeps or the voice says speak your command, say "navigation voice on". :cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Best way I've found is to use the voice commands: Hold the SRC button down on the steering wheel and when it beeps or the voice says speak your command, say "navigation voice on". :cool:
Ok, thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for. Strangely, "voice on" and "voice off" aren't mentioned when you say "Navigation help" (she just lists a bunch of things about changing the route). Turning down the volume on the nav instructions ended up not working very well. The problem is that when the instructions come on, it attenuates the volume of the radio or whatever else is playing and does this even if the nav volume is turned down, so you can't enjoy what you were listening to.

My one complaint about the voice menus is that the pauses between her prompt and the beep are a bit long. I'm wondering if that's configurable.

David

1 - 13 of 13 Posts