GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a simple way to get more heat from the Volt on really cold days. Just set the heat to Max, Auto, and then turn on Recirculate. The recirculate button makes a big difference and this makes sense because the car is heating already warmed air verses the cold air from outside. When I use recirculate I found that I have to turn down the temperature because the car was getting too hot. Using recirculate may cause the windows to eventually fog up, so when that happens you can just switch to outside air until they clear up.

Regarding Engine Running Due To Temperature (ERDTT), I have mine set to deferred so that it only comes on when the outside air temperature goes below 15°F. That happened for the first time recently during my morning commute and it gave me the opportunity to compare ERDTT to electric only operation of the Volt. I compared the total energy used for commuting when the temperature was below 15° to when it was just above 15° when I used electric only. In both cases I used a 5 minute preheat and then had the temperature set to 72° and used auto Max heat. Here was my total energy cost per mile:

ERDTT - 7.3 ¢/mile averaged over 2 days (9° and 13°)
Electric Only - 5.1 ¢/mile averaged over 2 days (18° and 25°)

My commute is only 8.4 miles one way at low speeds. Where I live, I am currently paying 12.5 ¢/kWh and when I last filled up my gas tank I paid $2.27/gal. The gas mileage during ERDTT was particularly bad (23 -27 MPG). When I drive on Hold mode on the highway in winter I typically get 35-40MPG which is closer to 6 ¢/mile. I think that in winter while driving longer distances on the highway, ERDTT might make sense. But for my low speed commute, electric only is cheaper at the same comfort level.

When I use only the seat heaters and heated steering wheel my cost per mile goes down to 4¢ in the winter but this is not comfortable for me when the temperature goes below freezing.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
1,003 Posts
I found a simple way to get more heat from the Volt
after 2 weeks of -30 weather I took the 2016 volt in and said fix the heat or keep it
guess what , it had a update for the heat
what I don't know , is how it will be at-30, since it has warmed up to freezing
but even at freezing I now see 9kw instead of 6 ish
the engine revs higher to reach temp quicker
and I don't feel the heater output temp drop when the engine temp drop below 58c
and I don't get the cold air on my face anymore
if this stays through the lower temps , I will be a happier guy

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I found a simple way to get more heat from the Volt
after 2 weeks of -30 weather I took the 2016 volt in and said fix the heat or keep it
guess what , it had a update for the heat
what I don't know , is how it will be at-30, since it has warmed up to freezing
but even at freezing I now see 9kw instead of 6 ish
the engine revs higher to reach temp quicker
and I don't feel the heater output temp drop when the engine temp drop below 58c
and I don't get the cold air on my face anymore
if this stays through the lower temps , I will be a happier guy
Any chance you could post up a copy of the dealers work order or at least more detail in what the tech wrote on the work order. Is this is TSB if so what is the number?

·
Registered
197 Posts
My Volt's HVAC is definitely messed up. Sometimes it freaks out. Obviously early productions have sw bugs that Chevy fixed in later prductions. Of course they don't care to tell us about the update.. I will update myself along with all others soon.

Calibration History for: Operating system
Part Number CVN Bulletin # Description
84183492 0000B095 - New software for various bug fixes.
84131544 0000214B - Operating system

Calibration History for: Airflow
Part Number CVN Description
84197073 0000CF37 New airflow calibration with various HVAC performance improvements.
84136384 0000CFAC New calibration to address passenger cabin too warm issue
84081736 00004D71 New calibration for start of production.
84019128 0000BFAC Airflow

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
op code 2810015
hvac system control module reprogramming
By chance I need an oil change, gonna mention this to my service writer. While I think my system is performing correctly one never knows if it really is, can't hurt asking if there is an update out there to improve things. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
the only oddity with my HVAC is that I set it at 71 and it randomly ends up on 70 for some starts, not all, just some

1 - 8 of 8 Posts