GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was bored this weekend so I decided to find an easy way to make a tool for manually releasing the hatch. This is useful if camping in the Volt or if the 12V battery dies and you need to open the hatch. Others here have used large flat-bladed screwdrivers, and at first I tried that, but I found that difficult to use in practice... you have to line it up just right and it can be tricky when you're crunched in the back (yes, I shut myself in the hatch area to test this all out... in retrospect I should have put the seats down so I wasn't so cramped, ha).

So I wandered the hardware store and came across some screwdrivers with 5/16" square shafts (previous posters have commented that the square release hole is about 5/16"). A few minutes with a dremel cutoff wheel converted the screwdriver into a perfect square tool with a nice grip. Cost about $5.

hatch release.jpg

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Cool. It shouldn't be legal to NOT have a quick way to open the hatch from the inside of the vehicle - even if it is a hatchback...

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I looked through the manual and can find no reference to opening the rear hatch from the inside. Anyone have pics or a thread for this?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked through the manual and can find no reference to opening the rear hatch from the inside. Anyone have pics or a thread for this?
I don't have other pics handy, but it's easy to see for yourself. Open the hatch and look up near the latch mechanism. There will be a cover around 1"x1" (or smaller). Pry this off and peer inside, you'll see a square receptacle that my tool above fits into to turn it for manual release.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
My emergency hatch access tool is both very very cheap, and very very expensive <LOL>

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was bored this weekend so I decided to find an easy way to make a tool for manually releasing the hatch. This is useful if camping in the Volt or if the 12V battery dies and you need to open the hatch. Others here have used large flat-bladed screwdrivers, and at first I tried that, but I found that difficult to use in practice... you have to line it up just right and it can be tricky when you're crunched in the back (yes, I shut myself in the hatch area to test this all out... in retrospect I should have put the seats down so I wasn't so cramped, ha).

So I wandered the hardware store and came across some screwdrivers with 5/16" square shafts (previous posters have commented that the square release hole is about 5/16"). A few minutes with a dremel cutoff wheel converted the screwdriver into a perfect square tool with a nice grip. Cost about $5.

View attachment 74778
Thanks for this ... creative, cheap and effective ! Just the way I like it (and I have a dremel too). thank you sir !

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Cool. It shouldn't be legal to NOT have a quick way to open the hatch from the inside of the vehicle - even if it is a hatchback...
Well, unlike getting locked in the trunk, you can climb between or put down the seats and open a door. It's a neat tool idea though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts