GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I am not sure if this has already been suggested.
But as a 2012 Volt owner who will most likely buy the next gen Volt I would like to suggest the following.

I switch back and forth between "D" and "L" to recover energy and reduce break use.

It will be neat to have a button on the side of the shifter (similar to a overdrive button on some older cars) making it easy to shift between "D" and "L"
this will reduce the use of the shifters and also make it much more convienient to safe energy :)

·
8,680 Posts
I'm comfortable with the implementation they chose. But if you're going to do something else, I think paddle shifters is the way to go to keep it kinda familiar to people. Clicking a down shift would boost the regen, and you could put in more steps. (One of the others does this - I think the Karma?)

The only thing is, I'm also tempted to put into that approach clicking into sport, and maybe even into a super-sport mode that suppresses 2-motor for faster freeway response - but I'd like to retain the ability to do sport and low at the same time, so I'm not sure how best to fit it into the paradigm...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Why not try leaving it in L all of the time like a large number of owners at this site. I love the one pedal driving myself and almost never have to use the brakes unless I need to come to a complete stop.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Why not try leaving it in L all of the time like a large number of owners at this site. I love the one pedal driving myself and almost never have to use the brakes unless I need to come to a complete stop.
I do the exact same thing. Pedal drive. I use the friction brakes 1% of the time???? My friction brakes will rust before they need work. ;-)

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
I do the exact same thing. Pedal drive. I use the friction brakes 1% of the time???? My friction brakes will rust before they need work. ;-)
Unlike the brake blackened wheels on my other car, I have zero brake dust on my Volt wheels. Yes, I wash the car weekly, but the wheels are always clean, just the odd bit of road tar now and then. L is so nice.

P.S. I too am fine with the current shifter. Makes me feel like I am "driving" :). SOOOO much better than the convoluted shift pattern the iMiev uses.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm curious about keeping the Volt in Low gear. I haven't done that; I usually stay in D. Does Using L help the mileage? :confused:

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
saghost @ #2

I'm with you. The shifter just sends electronic signals anyway, right? My understanding is that it's not actually connected to the "transmission" by any mechanical linkage. So why not go to some sort of paddle or other simple switch/button arrangement and do away with the weight and complication of the "shifter"? Remember the Chrysler "pushbutton transmissions" in the 60s? They worked just fine.

I think that this has been discussed here before and that the "shifter" was thought to be some sort of gesture toward a more familiar driving experience. Hey man, this is a 21st century car. I don't need no stinking shifter to make me feel at home, LOL.

And I like to shift back and forth between "D" and "L". Right or wrong, I feel like coasting in "D" is more efficient.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I have practically never used D since I got the car in January, 2011.

I just pull the lever all the way back and leave it there, much easier than searching for Drive.

And, you can coast at nearly any rate you wish just by feathering the throttle.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I have practically never used D since I got the car in January, 2011.

I just pull the lever all the way back and leave it there, much easier than searching for Drive.

And, you can coast at nearly any rate you wish just by feathering the throttle.

Yes, you can. And no delay in braking action. No time wasted moving from D to L. No energy wasted either.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I propose the following shifter combo to kick it into L:
right, down, left, up, left, up, right, down, left.

More seriously though, seems fine as it is, intuitive enough coming from elsewhere, and simple - no clutter of extra buttons and/or other controls.

·
8,680 Posts
I think that this has been discussed here before and that the "shifter" was thought to be some sort of gesture toward a more familiar driving experience. Hey man, this is a 21st century car. I don't need no stinking shifter to make me feel at home, LOL.
That's exactly what it is. GM wanted the Volt to not be intimidating to the less technical crowd. So everything works the way you'd expect it to, with few extra decisions and no surprises - just quieter and more efficient. I absolutely approve of that approach. But there are other options to work things into the "familiar" paradigm... :)

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
99% L for me.
We had poll on this.

All my cars before the volt were stick shift but I REALLY like how the car drives when in L

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've always thought that a nice update would be to repurpose existing lever which engages cycling through PRNDL. Perhaps it could be used to engage L when in the D position.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would be happier if they simply removed the lock between D and L so I could move the lever back and forth easily. My other cars don't have anything between "D" and "4".

A stepped downshift paddle on the steering wheel to control regen braking level would be super cool!

I would vote to add a "L2" mode like I find on most automatic ICE cars. I do use "L" as-is, but generally I find it brakes too much for me and I don't like feathering the throttle. But "D" has about zero drag, which leaves me wishing for something in between. Just a personal preference. I also worry a bit about getting rear-ended with no brake lights in L mode - it's enough braking to really disturb drivers behind you.

I would also love to have the "Sport" mode as a button on the side of the shifter, which is where it was on other cars I've had that had such a mode. Something other than the double-press on the console.

And finally - loose the giant lever completely and move the cup holders out from under my arm! That lever sure does take up a huge amount of room for something so unimportant in this particular car.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I could be wrong, and I've only put 1,900 miles on my Volt so far, but to me it seems as though, up until the point where the friction brakes are activated, the difference between D and L is whether the brake or accelerator pedal modulates the majority of regen.

·
8,680 Posts
I could be wrong, and I've only put 1,900 miles on my Volt so far, but to me it seems as though, up until the point where the friction brakes are activated, the difference between D and L is whether the brake or accelerator pedal modulates the majority of regen.
You're right. (along with having the brake lights on or off.)

It's that simple, but the implications are substantially larger. Having that regen on the gas pedal means being able to match deceleration of traffic just as simply and easily as acceleration. It means you start braking ~150 ms faster in moments when time matters most. For 2013s with FCA, it means that when FCA breaks the cruise control because you're about to hit something, the car starts slowing immediately, before you see the threat. It mean having easy control on all but the steepest hills.

I wasn't sure at first, but these days I'm always in L, and I think it's one of the cleverer features of a very clever car.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I wasn't sure at first, but these days I'm always in L, and I think it's one of the cleverer features of a very clever car.
Yes, it is a very clever feature.

·
Registered
144 Posts
A stepped downshift paddle on the steering wheel to control regen braking level would be super cool!
Apparently the Audi A3 EV does that (the "downshift" paddle increased regen similarly to how a downshift would) and the reviewers are loving it!

WANT!!!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I would be happier if they simply removed the lock between D and L so I could move the lever back and forth easily. My other cars don't have anything between "D" and "4".

I would vote to add a "L2" mode like I find on most automatic ICE cars. I do use "L" as-is, but generally I find it brakes too much for me and I don't like feathering the throttle. But "D" has about zero drag, which leaves me wishing for something in between. Just a personal preference. I also worry a bit about getting rear-ended with no brake lights in L mode - it's enough braking to really disturb drivers behind you.

I would also love to have the "Sport" mode as a button on the side of the shifter, which is where it was on other cars I've had that had such a mode. Something other than the double-press on the console.

And finally - loose the giant lever completely and move the cup holders out from under my arm! That lever sure does take up a huge amount of room for something so unimportant in this particular car.
Yes!

Left paddle to step up and down through D-L (or better yet D-L2-L1), Right paddle for Sport [pull]-Normal [default]-Hold [push]-Mountain [push 2x].
Also, Cruise Control should always override D to L to prevent "runaway train" on extended downhills.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm fine with the current design as I keep the car in L for almost all my driving. However, IF I were changing between D and L I'd prefer a side switch on the shift lever under the thumb. Just seems natural ...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts