GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I rigged up a way to hook an iPad mini over the display panel and thought I'd share how I did it. My iPad now does my navigation for me (Google Maps) and music and internet as well. The only thing I need to see the display for is climate control, backup camera, and the current temperature. Design goals were to not mess up the car if I ever change my mind, to make it easy to attach and detach, to keep it charged, and to play it through the car stereo, minimizing wires along the way.

Supplies:

6 1/2" x 1/8" x 1/16" Neodymium magnets

1 Bluetooth Stereo Audio Music Receiver Adapter for iPhone

1 Otterbox for iPad Mini

1 iPad Mini (mine is Retina Display with Cellular Service and Wireless Hotspot capabilities)

Superglue

1 pack of Sugru

Sugru is a flexible rubber adhesive which can be removed without leaving a mess behind. I got black Sugru and embedded 3 mini magnets around the frame of the display:

Then I used superglue to stick three complementary magnets (making sure poles were oriented correctly to the ones attached to the display frame) on the back of my Otterbox.

Voila - the iPad sticks securely.

and is easy to remove and in the Otterbox, it hides well either in the glove compartment or behind the stack.

The USB aux does not carry enough current to charge the iPad, so I use a USB adapter in the center armrest port which can charge at 2.1 amps, running the charging cable up to the iPad (I secured it with sugru against the side of the center stack to keep it out of the way).

For sound, I use the bluetooth adapter linked above, plugged into the USB Aux port for power, and feeding the sound through the 3.5 mm audio jack right next to it. This particular adapter automatically reconnects the iPad every time the car starts, so it is completely transparent and hands-free.

If I ever change my mind, all I have to do is scrape off the Sugru with a fingernail.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nice! I like it!!

·
Registered
524 Posts

I rigged up a way to hook an iPad mini over the display panel and thought I'd share how I did it. My iPad now does my navigation for me (Google Maps) and music and internet as well. The only thing I need to see the display for is climate control, backup camera, and the current temperature. Design goals were to not mess up the car if I ever change my mind, to make it easy to attach and detach, to keep it charged, and to play it through the car stereo, minimizing wires along the way.

Supplies:

6 1/2" x 1/8" x 1/16" Neodymium magnets

1 Bluetooth Stereo Audio Music Receiver Adapter for iPhone

1 Otterbox for iPad Mini

1 iPad Mini (mine is Retina Display with Cellular Service and Wireless Hotspot capabilities)

Superglue

1 pack of Sugru

Sugru is a flexible rubber adhesive which can be removed without leaving a mess behind. I got black Sugru and embedded 3 mini magnets around the frame of the display:

Then I used superglue to stick three complementary magnets (making sure poles were oriented correctly to the ones attached to the display frame) on the back of my Otterbox.

Voila - the iPad sticks securely.

and is easy to remove and in the Otterbox, it hides well either in the glove compartment or behind the stack.

The USB aux does not carry enough current to charge the iPad, so I use a USB adapter in the center armrest port which can charge at 2.1 amps, running the charging cable up to the iPad (I secured it with sugru against the side of the center stack to keep it out of the way).

For sound, I use the bluetooth adapter linked above, plugged into the USB Aux port for power, and feeding the sound through the 3.5 mm audio jack right next to it. This particular adapter automatically reconnects the iPad every time the car starts, so it is completely transparent and hands-free.

If I ever change my mind, all I have to do is scrape off the Sugru with a fingernail.

Very inventive, Mr. Tesla. I have one question. Your iPad is using the in the car Bluetooth connectivity to get to the internet? The iPad does not have its own internal 4 G LTE card, correct?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Very inventive, Mr. Tesla. I have one question. Your iPad is using the in the car Bluetooth connectivity to get to the internet? The iPad does not have its own internal 4 G LTE card, correct?
I'm guessing he has an older Volt that doesn't have bluetooth audio. And since the USB doesn't supply enough charge to the iPad, using USB to pass the audio to the sound system won't work without switching cables back and forth between charging and listening to music.

·
Registered
524 Posts
He said right in his post that the iPad is a cellular model.

That didn't answer my first question, which was NOT put to you!! But jump right in, never miss an opportunity to mind the business of others...rudely too. But I do have one question just for you: how do I put ViperRT10Matt on the IGNORE list??

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I would be concerned that 5-0 would see this as a video entertainment capable device and ticket me for it. Even my rearview cam has to be disabled when I'm not in reverse by law.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Tesla seems to get away with it. Tesla model s Vehicle Car Automotive design Tesla
But, that's an OEM display, not an add-on..
Or is the Tesla display not capable of displaying YouTube videos when in motion? I Googled that and came up empty.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
That's a good question.

In the Tesla Model S, a large, 17-inch touchscreen replaces the standard center console where you’d typically find audio and climate controls. The touchscreen offers a basic web browser, which supports HTML5, but not Flash. The browser is always available—it can be used even when the car is in motion.
No flash = no YouBoob. Other video formats? Can I watch "What's the deal Neil"?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would be concerned that 5-0 would see this as a video entertainment capable device and ticket me for it. Even my rearview cam has to be disabled when I'm not in reverse by law.
FWIW, with the black Otterbox and the framing of the display, I think it looks like OEM to a casual passerby.

You're halfway to owning a Tesla!
With an upgradable, LTE-capable console that can run iOS apps and be removed from the car!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm guessing he has an older Volt that doesn't have bluetooth audio. And since the USB doesn't supply enough charge to the iPad, using USB to pass the audio to the sound system won't work without switching cables back and forth between charging and listening to music.
You guess correctly on all counts (2012 model).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Casual passersby don't write tickets.
Good point. My point was if an officer was just driving by, my display would look like any other modern car's electronic display. Most states wouldn't have a problem, in any case.

State Laws

Colorado:

Law: A person 18 years of age or older shall not use a wireless telephone for the purpose of engaging in text messaging or other similar forms of manual data entry or transmission while operating a motor vehicle.
Statute: Amending 42-4-239 (2009)
Penalties: $50 fine

Illinois:

Law: Person may not operate a motor vehicle on a roadway while using an electronic communication device to compose, send, or read an electronic message.
Statute: Public Act 096-0130
Penalties: No penalty specified.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
See, right there the Tesla is breaking the law even with a limited browser. And so I would be with a tablet stuck to my dash, or even if it's in my lap or my hand.

I may be test driving a Tesla at next month's EV drive event. I'll have to ask about the browser.

·
Registered
387 Posts
See, right there the Tesla is breaking the law even with a limited browser. And so I would be with a tablet stuck to my dash, or even if it's in my lap or my hand.

I may be test driving a Tesla at next month's EV drive event. I'll have to ask about the browser.
A played the the tesla infotainment system going through every screen and menu. The browser is a very limited browser and just doesn't do video. I'm not even sure it can do much JavaScript or HTML5. It does enough to do google maps though.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
(625 ILCS 5/12-604.1)
Sec. 12-604.1. Video devices.
(a) A person may not operate a motor vehicle if a television receiver, a video monitor, a television or video screen, or any other similar means of visually displaying a television broadcast or video signal that produces entertainment or business applications is operating and is located in the motor vehicle at any point forward of the back of the driver's seat, or is operating and visible to the driver while driving the motor vehicle.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm confused. I use my Android phone for navigation on a regular basis. I even bought one of those CD mounts that someone on the forum recommended. My phone is also capable of streaming Netflix, DirecTV, YouTube, and ESPN. Are you saying that I am breaking the law mounting my phone to my CD player slot and using it for navigation? Why would this be different than using an iPad for navigation?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.