GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you envious of your Tesla-owning friends who have a much bigger center stack display than your Volt?

Did you not spring for the Navigation option on your Volt and now regret it?

Would you like to have the option of Internet radio, Stitcher, Podcasts, or Pandora?

Would you like to have Siri working for you while you drive?

Do you crave the iPad's superior navigation options like Waze, and Google Maps?

Until someone devises a "slip-on" adapter to cover the center display and replace it with a drop-in for an iPad mini, (almost the perfect size) here is a simple and practical hack. It will set you back about $4 if you already have an iPad Mini Smart Cover. It is easily removable, and won't void your warrantee.

Ingredients:

One iPad Mini. (The cellular equipped models are a better choice for in-vehicle connectivity.)
One Package of Scotch Heavy Duty Velcro-like fasteners. (Black or clear, Available at Staples $4.49 for 4)
One iPad Mini Smart Cover.
One Chevy Volt.

Instructions: Attach Scotch Fastener to Smart Cover. Attach the first strip to the Plastic Side of the cover, as close to the metal bar magnetic fastener as possible. Center it to look good, especially if you will continue to use the Smart Cover when you leave your vehicle. (I would not suggest leaving an iPad in the car to tempt a thief.)

Attach second piece of Velcro fastener to the one that you already glued to the smart cover, leave white adhesive side covered for now.

IMG_0292.jpg

Fold Smart Cover back onto itself:

IMG_0296.jpg

Position Smart Cover over top of console, remove adhesive and push down to make a good contact.

IMG_0298.jpg

Bottom of iPad screen should rest onto top of selector knob for best appearance. You can put some Velcro above the knob, but mine is pretty secure without it.

IMG_0301.jpg

There you have it. My 2012 lacks factory Bluetooth Audio, but I took care of that by adding the Blackberry Bluetooth Music Gateway (see previous posts) that is tucked away in my center console and streams the Bluetooth from the iPad to the AUX input. Everything works perfectly and when I am driving with my iPhone, any incoming call automatically mutes the iPad and the iPhone takes over. After the call is done the iPad takes over exactly where it left off.

If you are worried about losing the backup camera view from the center display, you can just "flip up" the iPad easily and expose the navigation screen beneath. The size of the iPad mini is perfect for the Volt and it allows full access to the controls on the stack for climate control and other things. When I leave the car, I can either leave the Smart Cover in the car, or just detach the Velcro and take the Smart Cover with me. If you decide to leave it in the car, folding it up looks better. Either way, reattaching the iPad is just a simple magnetic click.

IMG_0300.jpg

I've not had any issues so far, and it hasn't detached, even on a bumpy road. For your safety, I would not suggest watching a video while driving, but I have no problem displaying my very large, touchscreen map while I drive. (I love Waze.)

My only regret is not with the iPad, it is the lack of a 12V power outlet in the Volt that doesn't shut off when you leave the vehicle. I would love to keep the BlackBerry adapter powered up, so the adapter would be live when I returned to the car, but that is for another day.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I wonder if there is a place to attach a tablet that doesn't cover the display, so you can have both. Be careful in the hot summer sun with the stick on velcro. I had some in my car, and when it got hot, the device it was holding started sliding down with gravity. Eventually the back side of the velcro didn't have enough stickiness to hold the device up.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
A white mini me would look awesome with the white center stack.

·
Registered
169 Posts
good idea, I'll probably use some of your ideas but use an android tablet. Now to find an android tablet with 3g and bluetooth!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a suction-cup dash mount for my Android phone (model specific) with USB port so it's charging while I drive, and I situate it to the right of the center stack, just to the left of the center dash storage area. It links to my stereo via bluetooth, and I can play anything through that stock interface, but it also has enhanced interfaces for Pandora and Stitcher (which I don't use currently). I use Waze on the phone and since it's just out of my normal line of sight, I can see the map and info on it without a problem, and since the phone is plugged in via the power port on top of the dash, I never run out of juice.

Did they not include bluetooth capability in the base audio system pre-MY13? I have the base audio system and it includes all that, plus the phone call hookup, so as I'm driving, if someone calls me, I see the info first on my phone, and I can answer from the hands-free calling phone button on the dash and speak via the car's built-in hands free mic over the bluetooth link. I love how easily my Volt integrates with my Android phone.

To answer the question in the OP, no I don't envy the "hello I'm so huge I'm compensating" mongo dash in the Tesla. 7" and 3.8" (phone) is sufficient for my needs. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Harry Chapin !?! That's funny!!

Those of you not familiar with him should look up how he died...

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I would love to keep the BlackBerry adapter powered up, so the adapter would be live when I returned to the car, but that is for another day.
You can use an external battery with pass through charging. For example: http://www.hypershop.com/HyperJuice/Mini/HJ72-BLACK.html

When the 12V is on, the battery pack recharges and pass through voltage powers the BB adapter. When the 12V is off, the battery supplies the juice for the adapter alone. The key is to find a battery large enough to keep the adapter powered up between drives. Calculate the Bb adapter draw, multiple by 3 or 4 days, and that's the size battery you need.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Come on that does not look nice :) :)
Even the standard radio looks better then putting an ipad in like that......sorry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts