GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the proud new owner of a used 2014 Cadillac ELR. I thought it would be fun to determine my car’s production sequence since I was guessing it to be early based on the deliver date. From what I read this should be easy enough using the VIN number. That is where I ran into trouble…

From reading this forum, I was able to ascertain that the typical 2014 ELR VIN number has an ending of EU60xxxx. Mine ends in EU14xxxx.

I found a previous forum topic - Early ELR VIN Numbers - where members discuss an ELR VIN ending in EU13xxxx and determine it to be a pre-production car. So where does that leave a EU14?

The car was a GM Company car and is fully optioned out. I have a print out of a Vehicle Build from the dealer with a listed Build Date of 11/22/2013. Based on my warranty documents the original deliver date was 12/18/2013.

Any help would be appreciated including suggestions on other ways to determine production sequence. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Go to Voltstats and to other models ELR, When that comes up use the drop down over the Vin's to put them in order.

·
Registered
157 Posts
EU14 would be a somewhat later preproduction ELR. Detroit-Hamtramck builds volts, malibus and impalas in addition to ELRs. Their normal policy is that the sequential number part of a car's vin is not done by model. So, for model year X, if they built a volt with a vin ending in 1001, there could never be an impala or malibu with a vin ending in 1001. This has been the case for everything they build, with the unique exception of the 2014 ELR. (And not the 2016). I'll note that some Volt people are annoyed because this scheme makes it all but impossible to figure out how many Volts have been built.

Based on vin and build date, you appear to have one of the last preproduction ELRs.

From the production vins we know 2180 production ELRs were built. We don't know how many preproduction ones were, unless someone could interest Cadillac or Detroit-Hamtramck to tell us.

So, not counting 2014 ELRs, EU14xxxx vins started being assigned after all 10000 EU13xxxx vins had been assigned.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Go to Voltstats and to other models ELR, When that comes up use the drop down over the Vin's to put them in order.
VoltStats does not use the entire VIN. Only the last 5 digits with the MY in front. Like #2014-00353.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
EU14 would be a somewhat later preproduction ELR. Detroit-Hamtramck builds volts, malibus and impalas in addition to ELRs. Their normal policy is that the sequential number part of a car's vin is not done by model. So, for model year X, if they built a volt with a vin ending in 1001, there could never be an impala or malibu with a vin ending in 1001. This has been the case for everything they build, with the unique exception of the 2014 ELR. (And not the 2016). I'll note that some Volt people are annoyed because this scheme makes it all but impossible to figure out how many Volts have been built.

Based on vin and build date, you appear to have one of the last preproduction ELRs.

From the production vins we know 2180 production ELRs were built. We don't know how many preproduction ones were, unless someone could interest Cadillac or Detroit-Hamtramck to tell us.

So, not counting 2014 ELRs, EU14xxxx vins started being assigned after all 10000 EU13xxxx vins had been assigned.
That is my understanding as well. I never understood why people claim to have 'Volt #xxxx' referring to the # built, not Voltstats... :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim: Thanks for sharing the website…I am just getting introduced to this new world of ELR ownership and love playing with the data. I ended up registering and am holding last place in 3 major categories (EV%, MPG, & MPGe). Rough start for my EV from its previous life but my day keeps me at 100% electric so there may be some recovery.

FloridaMatt: I had hoped you would see and respond to my post.:)
I have seen you on numerous ELR forums and you seem to be a wealth of knowledge. Per usual, that was a great explanation.
It appears you have been keeping a detailed record of ELRs listed on cars.com for almost 2 years now. How many pre-production VINs have you come across?

Of course all of this kills my original idea of incorporating the production sequence into my new vanity plate…

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am sure FloridaMatt will respond back with a more informed answer to my question, but I did my own snapshot of "pre-production" 2014 ELRs on cars.com

There are 27 used ELRs with VINs pre-EU60 (EU12, EU13, or EU14) on the site.

They basically all are GM Company vehicles that were registered by December of 2013, driven their 2 years, and auctioned off, and now listed by dealers. If I had been looking for this information 2 months ago I would have likely been able to capture even more of these on cars.com.

What I Found:
  1. The lowest VIN for sale atm is EU122493.
  2. The second lowest (EU127318) was registered in MI on 10/9/13.
  3. The EU13s had their registrations in November 2013.
  4. The EU14s had their registrations in early/mid December 2013. The latest pre-EU60 sequence visible on cars.com is EU143401. My ELR (EU141045) falls into this final category, with a build date in late November, delivery & registration in mid December.
For a sense when EU60s started, the owner/blogger who owns EU60002 shared his build date of 12/10/13.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doubtful it's a preproduction vehicle. Those don't often end up sold to private owners.
Could these EU12-14s represent something in between the traditional pre-production vehicles and the productions vehicles? Does such thing exist? Are we sure that official production ELRs started with EU60?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Could these EU12-14s represent something in between the traditional pre-production vehicles and the productions vehicles? Does such thing exist? Are we sure that official production ELRs started with EU60?
I'm having the VIN checked on Monday :)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I am the proud new owner of a used 2014 Cadillac ELR. I thought it would be fun to determine my car’s production sequence since I was guessing it to be early based on the deliver date. From what I read this should be easy enough using the VIN number. That is where I ran into trouble…

From reading this forum, I was able to ascertain that the typical 2014 ELR VIN number has an ending of EU60xxxx. Mine ends in EU14xxxx.

I found a previous forum topic - Early ELR VIN Numbers - where members discuss an ELR VIN ending in EU13xxxx and determine it to be a pre-production car. So where does that leave a EU14?

The car was a GM Company car and is fully optioned out. I have a print out of a Vehicle Build from the dealer with a listed Build Date of 11/22/2013. Based on my warranty documents the original deliver date was 12/18/2013.

Any help would be appreciated including suggestions on other ways to determine production sequence. Thanks!

The Car was in the GM PEP program initially (driven by a GM employee for a few thousand miles), went to GM Service Operations to be driven for about a year, ended up at a dealership for sale shortly after that. Certainly not a pre-production car as GM does not sell those.

Good Luck :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts