GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
A NEW Suburban will set you back closer to $75-$83k. Sigh. I personal don't like the style on the new ones. A little to gangsta looking for my tastes. Maybe it's just how they trick out in Milwaukee...

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Veering way off-topic here (which is okay with me obviously) and I'll pick the one that got a good chuckle. I won't even debate it on merit flaws.

Did you know that migrant field workers (food pickers?) are exempt from the minimum wage laws?
Yes, I'm aware of that. I'm not a fan, and that's a whole 'nother system that's broken. However, I also know the farmer/rancher side of it. It might be the one area that needs to be exempt from fines for not paying workers a living wage. Food stamps, welfare, subsidized housing, etc. are all intended for those type of jobs (workers for farmers that have very narrow profit margins). Those programs were never meant to subsidize businesses whose CEOs seven, eight, or nine figures a year.

Ok, I have issue with this one. This whole tax bracket thing combined with bunches of writeoffs really bugs me. Taxing the wealthy at a higher rate then giving it to the poor only encourages weird behaviors. The job makers are discouraged from making jobs, and the poor are encouraged to stay there, not work their way out of it. If the government were to get it down to 1 or 2 tax brackets and eliminate a bunch of deductions, then everyone would be paying their fair share. Economics is an interesting beast to watch. We keep going into cycles of adding then removing programs, policies, laws that have all sorts of unintended consequences.
To me, those are synonymous. If you eliminate the deductions and loopholes, the wealthy will have to pay their taxes. It's actually no different than many of the corporations that have an effective tax rate of 0%. Heck, quite a few of them make money from the government/tax payers (think pharmaceutical companies that get free R&D in the form of government grants).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts