GM Volt Forum banner

What would you like to see the E-Flex in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it posable to take the whole line of GM vehicles and install the new E-Flex system? It would catapult GM to the top! Seeing a major car manufacture as a EV car company. There has already been plenty of interest to have the E-Flex Silverado, Escalade, and work vans.

Soccer moms running there SUV's around.
Construction worker with there E-Flex truck.
And a 50 year old man with his 500hp E-Flex Corvette.

I have seen many forums of craftsman that need there truck to haul there equipment around and how they are spending 500 bucks a month!! That person could easily cut down in there fuel spent if there was an E-Flex truck for them. For most commercial applications "runs" to go get supplies are not that far. And as long as you plugged it in the E-Flex system would work perfect and if they do need to go further than that. they have the on board generator for that.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
GM that E-Flex is a major initiative that they hope will be driven out to many other vehicles in their offering. I don't recall many specifics about which types of vehicles they see it going into next. Although a lot of people on this site want it in an economy model next, I don't see that happening until the batteries and other component prices come down significantly. Hopefully, this will happen quickly. GM did announce the Cadillac Provoq concept with an E-Flex hydrogen system. I think this car is ideal for the E-Flex genset drive train that the Volt is getting (perhaps with a slightly more powerful motor). Other Cadillac and Buick smaller models are also ideal candidates for the generator E-Flex. I think the next logical step is a slightly more powerful version for pickups, minivans, etc. The larger pickups and SUV's will need something more. Personally, I think an E-Flex+ seems like a fantastic approach for the midsize trucks and SUV's. The E-Flex plus could be the Volt's or the slightly more powerful 2nd generation E-Flex plus a rear motor. The benefits would be huge:
-4 wheel drive
-4 wheel regen
-2 different gear ratios for front and rear motors, one for accelleration for stop and the other at higher speeds
-Towing capability

Large SUV's and trucks probably will require an E-Flex++ that has a larger genset and additional battery capacity along with the rear motor and more powerful front motor.

E-REV's open up a whole new world of opportunities for the car designers. As long as batteries keep improving and gas prices keep rising, there is no stopping this paradigm shift!

·
Registered
240 Posts
As a 25 year Corvette owner (proudly), a real Vette enthusiast, and also patiently waiting for my Volt, of course, I am truely not sure an E-Flex Corvette would be the best chioce for GM. The Vette, to those who live them is more than a car that can be "upgraded" by moving to an E-Flex chassis. I think if you polled Corvette owners, if you said "What do you think if we put the Vette on a souped up E-Flex platform, give you 100+ miles no gas, and 0-60 acceleration of 3 seconds!" I would bet you 85% would give you a blank stare and probably the finger! :) Those who don't would be the newest Vette owners, most likely. The Vette needs to be the last car running on an ICE platform in GM's line. Then maybe retire it and start a new sports car on the E-Flex chassis.

There are only a few motorcar icons this country has produced, I think the Vette is on the top of the list. It should probably stay "ICE pure".

Just my 2 cents, of course.

The Vette mantra "Save the Wave!"

·
Registered
67 Posts
Every model!!! not just the ones listed but ALL of them. As soon as the battery tech is ready drop the conventional ICE for a range extender and go to town. When the batteries improve more drop the ICE totally.

I look forward to the day when the oil rich countries of the world who hold us hostage find themselves sinking back into the sand.

Ok, maybe that was a bit harsh..... :rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts