GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Quite a jump from hiring a former Tesla communications guy to building cars! Now if it had been head of powertrain or something and a boatload of engineers that would be different. It's true that Dyson bought Sakti3. So it wouldn't surprise me if it was trying to get those much more powerful cells (due to solid electrolytes) into its product, or sell or license the technology to other vendors (like LG Chem). But wanting to build cars? Can't see Dyson wanting to do that.

·
Administrator
20,347 Posts
I somehow missed the news that Dyson bought the solid-state battery startup Sakti3.They needed the funding and Dyson could be a good fit.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I somehow missed the news that Dyson bought the solid-state battery startup Sakti3.They needed the funding and Dyson could be a good fit.
The acquisition was well over a year ago. Perhaps more interesting, late last summer or early fall Dyson announced a $1.4B development effort. To me that suggests something is working, because that's a whole lot of development money for Dyson.

·
Registered
678 Posts
They'll only come in purple...

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
They'll only come in purple...
I would welcome a single color model T carbon fiber EV
If it ends up half the price of a steel bodied car

·
Administrator
20,347 Posts
The acquisition was well over a year ago. Perhaps more interesting, late last summer or early fall Dyson announced a $1.4B development effort. To me that suggests something is working, because that's a whole lot of development money for Dyson.
Yes, according to the article Dyson wants the batteries for consumer products first. Cars later. I hope they pull it off. GM was an investor in Sakti3 as well.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Quite a jump from hiring a former Tesla communications guy to building cars! Now if it had been head of powertrain or something and a boatload of engineers that would be different. It's true that Dyson bought Sakti3. So it wouldn't surprise me if it was trying to get those much more powerful cells (due to solid electrolytes) into its product, or sell or license the technology to other vendors (like LG Chem). But wanting to build cars? Can't see Dyson wanting to do that.
The UK government confirmed that Dyson had received funding related to electric vehicles. Don't know if it'd be EVs themselves or the powertrain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts