GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you run the Volt through those automated car wash is there anything special. Just turn it off and leave it in neutral? Same as any car?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I think that should about do it but I always wash my own car with garden hose and a bucket of soapy water and soft bristle brush. Even during water restrictions we've had the past three or four years as there is no one around to notice and none of the water really gets wasted as it goes over the driveway and down the cliff to water the vegetation below (unlike in a city were it does down a street drain into the sewer system).

·
Registered
485 Posts
I don't even think you have to turn the car off. Just put it in neutral. At least, that's what I did about a month ago, and I've noticed no ill effects.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I run my 2017 Volt through a high-end automated car wash several times each month. In preparing for the car wash I do the following:

1) Fold in the side-view mirrors (these do fold by hand, it takes a bit effort)
2) Place a small piece of duck tape on the charge port cover (I have experienced the charge port opening while going through the car wash. This may just be my Volt or the high pressure wash hitting just the right point on the port cover to pop it open.)
3) Set HVAC to recirculate as this keeps the car wash cleaner's strong scent from entering, enveloping the Volt's small cabin.)
4) I usually drive in L so I have to remember to shift into Neutral and not Drive when I get the hand signal from the car wash attendant that my wheels are in position for the automatic conveyor to take over.

After exiting the car wash I park, exit the Volt, immediately unfold the side mirrors. I will also briefly open all doors, remove the duck tape on the charge port cover and open the charge port cover, open the hatch to drain any remaining water. Sometimes I also open the hood (not in winter, too cold outside to stand around any longer than necessary.)

As an aside, I recall one thread where a Volt owner stated they always were careful to start the gas engine when going through a car wash. That makes no sense, the Volt has been designed and tested to be capable of being driven anywhere a standard automobile is designed to be driven. The high voltage battery, wiring is not exposed to the water in the car wash any more than it would be while driving in the rain.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
That is interesting about the charge port door coming open. I think on the 2017 you just press the port door to pop it open and there is no lock. It makes sense that pressure from a car wash could open it. Maybe not the best design, like the one before it that was a problem for a different reason.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
That is interesting about the charge port door coming open. I think on the 2017 you just press the port door to pop it open and there is no lock. It makes sense that pressure from a car wash could open it. Maybe not the best design, like the one before it that was a problem for a different reason.
This was not always the case, either the car wash increased the washer pressure or re-positioned the spray. It is also possible that the spring in the charge port cover latch mechanism is weaker than when my Volt was new. Duck tape to the rescue. Only once have the car wash brush and/or high pressure wash spray removed the duck tape I placed on the charge port cover over the area of the latch release.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I don't even think you have to turn the car off. Just put it in neutral. At least, that's what I did about a month ago, and I've noticed no ill effects.
I've been running my Volts through the car wash this way for years, never had a problem. As for folding the mirrors, the one time I let them fold them the car wash ripped them back open. So I don't bother with folding them.

·
Registered
124 Posts
But if you live in very cold weather (freezing), I would not recommend going to the carwash (with the gen2 volt).
The front air grille shutters tend to get stuck in ice, causing a check engine light code P059F.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
But if you live in very cold weather (freezing), I would not recommend going to the carwash (with the gen2 volt).
The front air grille shutters tend to get stuck in ice, causing a check engine light code P059F.
Put it in hold mode and the ICE will melt the ice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts