GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so am I missing something here? 2013 Volt, playing a song from a USB drive, with lots of folders and sub-folders.

When a song is playing, I expect the "Menu" button to jump up and list all the songs in the same folder, so I can scroll up/down through the list to skip around to a different one, and then hit a Back button to jump up to the parent folder, etc. nope. "Menu" just always starts at the top with choices for "Folders", "Playlists", "Artists". How about the "Back" button on the Now Playing screen (as opposed to the hard "Back" button below on the console button array)? nope. it does a global "back" i.e. maybe shows the Climate or Energy Usage screens.

so how do I get to see all the songs in the same folder as the one currently playing? seems I have to start all the way at the top, select "Folder" vs "Playlist"/"Artist" etc. again, and drill down again through folders.

on the wife's Prius, when playing a song in a folder on a USB drive, I hardly have to glance at the screen, the UI is set up for the way I need to use it; one button click does list all the songs in the same folder, so we can navigate up and down through the list and then select a different one. plus a Back button jumps up to the parent folder, to scroll through the list of sub-folders, etc. seems like such an obvious thing; how could it be missing in the Volt's UI?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and yes I know I can iterate through the songs in the current folder by hitting the up or down on the Selection thing with my thumb on the steering wheel, but what if there are a lot of songs and I don't remember the one I want? again the wife's Prius makes this work the obvious simple way...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
and yes I know I can iterate through the songs in the current folder by hitting the up or down on the Selection thing with my thumb on the steering wheel, but what if there are a lot of songs and I don't remember the one I want? again the wife's Prius makes this work the obvious simple way...
The whole entertainment interface kinda blows, particularly in comparison to Toyota's system. I'm driving my father-in-law's Lexus for a couple of days and it's interface is pretty good. You know one thing it does: it doesn't reorder playlists into alphabetical order! That particularly pisses me off...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know one thing it [Toyota] does: it doesn't reorder playlists into alphabetical order!
ah yes I forgot that too, even in folders where the filenames are specifically prefixed with numbers to indicate the track order, it seems the Volt's UI rearranges them by alphabetical ordering on the song name from the Mp3 tag info! even if the Mp3 tags have track #'s in them, they seem to be ignored

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
ah yes I forgot that too, even in folders where the filenames are specifically prefixed with numbers to indicate the track order, it seems the Volt's UI rearranges them by alphabetical ordering on the song name from the Mp3 tag info! even if the Mp3 tags have track #'s in them, they seem to be ignored
AFAIK the playlists are done by track and the artists are done alphabetically by tag, which makes sense when you think about it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
so how do I get to see all the songs in the same folder as the one currently playing? seems I have to start all the way at the top, select "Folder" vs "Playlist"/"Artist" etc. again, and drill down again through folders.
Turn the navigation knob.

All of my files are named Track# - SongTitle.mp3 (with matching ID3 track field) and I haven't had this issue.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turn the navigation knob
hey thanks, I never thought of that! I'll try it. so you're saying if I twist it to the left it will go "up" a level, to the enclosing folder if playing a song, or to the parent folder if displaying a folder? that would make sense as being similar to how it functions in Navigation where it zooms out or in on the map scale.

And yes I do have a lot of my mp3 files properly tagged+filenamed with the "track#-SongTitle.mp3" convention (AKA the "Napster" convention, in tools like the "mp3tag" PC application) but not all of them.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
but sometimes maybe I have a set of sub-folders ripped from a multi-CD box set, with subdirs named "CD1", "CD2" etc. where the tracks start over in each subfolder e.g. "01" for the first song in CD1, but "01" again for the first song in CD2....

I'd like to be able to just play all the songs in all the subfolders in order, from CD1 to CD2 etc. Maybe there's no way to do this using the Volt's interface to Files/Folders/Artist.

I have been experimenting with creating Playlists recently and that seems to be the way to do it, use "VLC Player" on the PC to step through all the files in all the subdirs so they get added to VLC's playlist, then save that playlist to a .m3u playlist file in the parent folder. Copying that to the USB drive for the Volt makes the Volt step through the files in the same order, if I select "Playlist" on the Volt.

·
Registered
86 Posts
hey thanks, I never thought of that! I'll try it. so you're saying if I twist it to the left it will go "up" a level, to the enclosing folder if playing a song, or to the parent folder if displaying a folder?
No, unfortunately the only way to do that (that I know of) is to go Menu -> Folders and drill down from the top.

If you turn the knob, you can select from other songs in the same folder, which was your original question. I believe this only works if you selected the original song via Folders navigation, though; I don't know what will happen if you select by Genre or Album.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
funny, the only way I could figure this kind of thing out would be to sit in the car and experiment with different clicks while playing audio from the USB drive. NOT while driving........ so I probably won't get around to it for a while.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts