GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, all... This is my first post to this forum. I am anxiously awaiting delivery of a 2012 Volt in Crystal Red here in rural northwestern South Carolina, and wanted to pass along news of a way to obtain a Level 2 home charging station from Duke Energy at a very attractive price -- like (almost) free! In order to gather information about how EVs will effect electric power usage among its customers, Duke has initiated a pilot program wherein they will provide the charging station at no up-front cost, including up to $1,000 of installation labor and necessary parts. The program runs for 2 years, at the end of which you may purchase the charging unit for $250 and own it outright. You must live in an area served by Duke Energy, and be one of their residential electric customers in good standing. Details are online here: http://www.duke-energy.com/plugin/ChargeCarolinas.asp

I hadn't seen any notice of this program elsewhere on this site, so I hope I am not repeating old news. I have already applied to the program and have been accepted. Now all I need is a Volt to plug in!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
It's a bummer that I'm just outside Duke Energy/Progress Energy's service area.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I applied for this program but have not heard back. My interest in not in getting the free 240 Volt charger -- I've been using the 120 volt since I bought the car and it is more than fast enough (never yet had to run on gasoline at all).

I may or may participate in this program when I see/hear the details and read the fine print. I'm worried that the program will go beyond just monitoring my usage and require my consent to letting the utility have control of the charging times and experiment with utility-mandated dispatching of the charging my car has. Both Progress and Duke are good customers of my company and I know and respect many people at each company, so I hope to participate. Plus, it would be fun.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Duke Power was very responsive. A few days after I filled out the application, a contractor scheduled an appointment for a site survey. The installation was completed within two weeks. The bill came to $996.00. Since Duke Power will will cover up to $1000 we did not incur any expense for the installation and charger. However my neighbor's installation was a little more complicated and he had an out of pocket expense of approximately $400.00.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nice to see this post. I was actually the first customer to participate in this program back in June. Duke had the local Charlotte news media came out and film the install and interview me and the Duke representatives at my house. Have had no issues with the 220 volt charging unit and am so glad I do not have to use the 110 volt unit anymore. Did a good clean install and my bill too was just under a $1,000 (wonder if they do that on purpose). Anybody still on the fence about this should just do it. Send me a message if you have any questions.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ouch, so ironic this thread just got started and i found it yesterday (see my post above). Some of you on this thread may already know this since Duke just sent out a email to all of us in the program but there was a garage fire in Mooresville, NC last weekend that had one of the Duke Program Pilot chargers installed. http://www.wsoctv.com/news/29687054/detail.html

Not sure yet what caused it but they are doing an investigation. In the mean time Duke has asked that we quite using it!!! So there maybe delays in the program now. Who knows, maybe worse. I think a Volt was in the garage cause the article states that reps from Siemens and GM were coming out to investigate on Monday.

I just find it hard to beleive the Siemens Charger had anything to do with it. It is so well built and runs nice and cool. I trust it much more than the GM 110 volt charger and am really torn about not using it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I just find it hard to beleive the Siemens Charger had anything to do with it. It is so well built and runs nice and cool. I trust it much more than the GM 110 volt charger and am really torn about not using it. Any thoughts?
I would think it unlikely for you to have any troubles with the GM EVSE either, but be that as it may...

If you're using the Siemens EVSE even after Duke tells you not to, and the cow next door kicks over the lamp and the fire spreads to your garage, and your insurance finds the EVSE still plugged into your car... expect them to punt you. Insurance companies can be funny that way. If you don't happen to have any cows living next door, do as you deem best. Of course, all bets are off if you have a Llama as a neighbor!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ouch, you make some great points there.

I just hope Duke doesn't get scared off from all this and decide to pull the program (assuming the charger gets cleared, which who knows how long that kind of thing takes).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts