GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my brand new loaded 2013 Volt, and day one I'm disappointed. The 30 Gig hard drive has been quietly deleted for the 2013 model year by Chevy. Having the ability to timeshift and record and save music were useful features I was looking forward to and are still, even as I post this, advertised on Chevy's website for the 2013 Volt. Just go to chevrolet.com/volt-electric-car, select "2013 Volt" at the top left and scroll down 20% of the page, there's a photo of Adam standing in front of his Volt with the caption, "'THERE'S A 30 GIG HARD DRIVE BUILT INTO THE CAR' - Adam, Los Angels, CA". Screen shot below.

If Chevy is going to discontinue a feature without pointing it out to customers, the least they could do is tell their own marketing department.

Adam Volt 30 Gig 122312.jpg

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Yes sticks are nice, someway better (since I can organize music my way.. ) the only features I like from the HD are the time shifting (recording NPR when I have to make a quick stop, or take a call) and the backup grid for the reverse camera (don't ask me why that needs a HD).

Then again if I had had the choice, I don't think I would have bought it (or the Nav), but back in 2011 my choices were slim

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I think it was gone with the 2012 MY -- it hasn't been a recent development -- but you have a valid point about the advertising.

FYI I have it and I've never used it.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Get money back, or something!

VERY good catch re: false advertising, Joule. You should definitely see what GM/Chevy can do for you. They DO need to keep their descriptions online up to date.

But anyway, you can split the USB port into multiple ports so you can add on a memory stick and still have an open port.

Somebody NEEDS to buy a used Volt and hack it so we can put in mods to the music player, etc.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
VERY good catch re: false advertising, Joule. You should definitely see what GM/Chevy can do for you. They DO need to keep their descriptions online up to date.

But anyway, you can split the USB port into multiple ports so you can add on a memory stick and still have an open port.

Somebody NEEDS to buy a used Volt and hack it so we can put in mods to the music player, etc.
Thank you for the tip about splitting the port. I'll give that a shot.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You're not the only one that was expecting a HD, I too saw the quote of the main Volt page and thought it came with one. I had been trying to figure out how to use it, looked in the manual, and it directed me to an "infotainment manual" that I don't have.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
You're not the only one that was expecting a HD, I too saw the quote of the main Volt page and thought it came with one.
The Volt never "came with" a hard drive. For the MY 2011 run it was part of the NAV option that cost a few thousand dollars. IOW to get a HD you had to pay for it, and unless they charged you for it you haven't been cheated out of anything. In this regard, if the specs said you were getting a hard drive and you didn't then that would be one thing. Mistakenly thinking the base model came with a hard drive is something altogether different.

·
Registered
208 Posts
For the MY 2011 run it was part of the NAV option that cost a few thousand dollars. IOW to get a HD you had to pay for it, and unless they charged you for it you haven't been cheated out of anything.
I thought NAV was standard on all 2011 models. My recollection is that one of the cost savings in the 2012 model was the ability to deselect NAV, since it was then optional.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The Volt never "came with" a hard drive. For the MY 2011 run it was part of the NAV option that cost a few thousand dollars. IOW to get a HD you had to pay for it, and unless they charged you for it you haven't been cheated out of anything. In this regard, if the specs said you were getting a hard drive and you didn't then that would be one thing. Mistakenly thinking the base model came with a hard drive is something altogether different.
I hate to contradict, but for the 2011MY, the NAV wasn't an option, it was a standard characteristic for all Volts produced.
So, all 2011 should have a hard disk. On your dash, you should have a REC (RECord) button. It only comes if you indeed
have the Hard Disk. The HD became an option on the 2012 MY, and was completely removed from the option list on the 2013 MY.

Hope this helps,

Francois
B2653

3,600 Posts
I just got my brand new loaded 2013 Volt, and day one I'm disappointed. The 30 Gig hard drive has been quietly deleted for the 2013 model year by Chevy. Having the ability to timeshift and record and save music were useful features I was looking forward to and are still, even as I post this, advertised on Chevy's website for the 2013 Volt. Just go to chevrolet.com/volt-electric-car, select "2013 Volt" at the top left and scroll down 20% of the page, there's a photo of Adam standing in front of his Volt with the caption, "'THERE'S A 30 GIG HARD DRIVE BUILT INTO THE CAR' - Adam, Los Angels, CA". Screen shot below.

If Chevy is going to discontinue a feature without pointing it out to customers, the least they could do is tell their own marketing department.

View attachment 8441
Good Morning Joule,
To Clarify what you have posted is simply customer testimonials. It evens displays "See what Real Owners Love about their Volt" next to the videos. If you click on "See Features" under the videos it will lead you to "2013 Volt Models & Specs" page. there you can select "Standard & Optional Equipment" you will see the available radios. We apologize for any misunderstanding.

Happy Holidays!

-Ian Chevrolet Volt Customer Service

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Good Morning Joule,
To Clarify what you have posted is simply customer testimonials. It evens displays "See what Real Owners Love about their Volt" next to the videos. If you click on "See Features" under the videos it will lead you to "2013 Volt Models & Specs" page. there you can select "Standard & Optional Equipment" you will see the available radios. We apologize for any misunderstanding.

Happy Holidays!

Hi Ian,

I have been using a Sirius Starmate for many years and it's "DVR" like capability is good for about 45 minutes of rewind. This feature is really useful and something that GM should try to include on any satellite radio equipped unit, even on units without a hard drive. It's one of the reasons I most enjoy listening to satellite radio - the rewind/playback feature. My kids are so used to it I might have to install the Starmate and continue using my sirius subscription instead of the built-in XM. (that's what I do now in my '05 Yukon with built in XM) If you have any way to make that note to someone higher up it's a major feature that once lived with, is hard to live without. I considered picking up a 2012 Volt just for this feature. I decided to go with a 2013 model and if it was enough of an issue I could use the same approach and just install the Starmate in my 2013. Seems a waste to clutter up a console with so much potential by adding an external device like that, but the DVR radio is worth it.

-Derek

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I have the 30 GB on my 2012 - love this feature. To lower the overall price, I suppose I could easily plug in a flash drive. But, I can afford the option. Maybe they could make this a stand alone option. I bet it's going to be on the Cadillac ELR.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
"False advertising"? Well, it's a quote from whoever that guy is so maybe there is a HD in his car. Me, I did my homework before I bought my 2013 and I knew it had been deleted - which was not even part of a consideration to me.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
3,600 Posts
Hi Ian,

I have been using a Sirius Starmate for many years and it's "DVR" like capability is good for about 45 minutes of rewind. This feature is really useful and something that GM should try to include on any satellite radio equipped unit, even on units without a hard drive. It's one of the reasons I most enjoy listening to satellite radio - the rewind/playback feature. My kids are so used to it I might have to install the Starmate and continue using my sirius subscription instead of the built-in XM. (that's what I do now in my '05 Yukon with built in XM) If you have any way to make that note to someone higher up it's a major feature that once lived with, is hard to live without. I considered picking up a 2012 Volt just for this feature. I decided to go with a 2013 model and if it was enough of an issue I could use the same approach and just install the Starmate in my 2013. Seems a waste to clutter up a console with so much potential by adding an external device like that, but the DVR radio is worth it.

-Derek
Good Afternoon Derek,
Thank you for sharing your suggestion, it has been documented for you! Have a great Holiday Season!

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I hate to contradict, but for the 2011MY, the NAV wasn't an option, it was a standard characteristic for all Volts produced.
No reason to hate on it. You're right. I went back to my order. The NAV was standard, and the HD came standard with the NAV. My options were the leather/heated seats, the backup camera, and the paint. For the 2012 MY they started decontenting the car so they could drop the price by a grand. IOW they took out $3000 in options, lowered the price by $500, and declared a price cut! LOL

So I'll change my point to: the HD wasn't ever included in the less expensive MY cars as standard after the 2011 MY.

I'm also feeling better about buying a 2011 MY. :D Lots of good stuff included in the base. Basically what you get during different model years varies. For example, in the MY 2011 vehicles you got 5 years of OnStar. I think that's down to two for the current MY.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts