GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Major DTCs when dolly towing 2018 Volt

See DTCs below
The owners manual states that you can dolly tow the 2018 Volt with front wheels up. It says place in park with ebrake off. Every time I start my Volt after towing it, the CEL is lit. I get the message that stabilitrak is unavailable, forward collision unavailable and several other codes. The ebrake doesn’t work until after driving the car some distance. I tried clearing the codes with a scan tool and it did clear several but one remained until several drive cycles then cleared. Now I have an OnStar message that my stabilitrak has malfunctioned. I just pulled the car off the dolly for the second time and all errors are again present. I assume they will all clear on their own again. Seems really messed up though.
What is going on? (This did not happen with my 2013 Volt)

Thanks for any thoughts
Jon

June 29, 2018 9:41 AM
VIN retrieved from Vehicle
VIN: 1G1RB6S56JU116884
Make:Chevrolet / Geo Year:2018
----Confirmed Trouble Codes Scan Report----
7 Confirmed Trouble Codes Trouble Codes:
1. P25C9
Check report for description.
2. U179D
3. P25A2
Brake System Control Module Requested MIL Illumination
4. C0501
Steering assist control solenoid/motor/actuator return circuit malfunction
5. U0293
Lost Communication With Hybrid/EV Powertrain Control Module
6. C0507
Steering position and rate of change sensor circuit #2 range/performance
7. U0100
Lost Communication With ECM/PCM "A"
----Pending Trouble Codes Scan Report----
2 Pending Trouble Codes Trouble Codes:
1. P25A2
2. P25C9

----Permanent Trouble Codes Scan Report----
2 Permanent Trouble Codes Trouble Codes:
1. C0501
2. C0507
----Shared Address Module Codes Scan Report----
2 Shared Address Module Trouble Codes:
1. C0460
2. U0415
Status: HISTORY • Invalid Data Received From Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Control Module
----Electronic Brake Control Module Codes Scan Report----
11 Electronic Brake Control Module Trouble Codes:
1. U0140
Status: HISTORY • Lost Communication With Body Control Module
2. U179D
3. U0100
4. U026A
Status: HISTORY • Lost Communication with Image Processing Sensor F
5. U0293
Status: HISTORY • Lost Communication With Hybrid/EV Powertrain Control Module
6. U179A

7. U18B5
8. U0131
Status: HISTORY • Lost Communication With Power Steering Control Module
9. U0151
Status: HISTORY • Lost Communication With Restraints Control Module
10. C0501
Status: HISTORY/MIL • Steering assist control solenoid/motor/actuator return circuit malfunction
11. C0507
Status: HISTORY/MIL • Steering position and rate of change sensor circuit #2 range/performance
----Glow Plug Control Module Codes Scan Report----
2 Glow Plug Control Module Trouble Codes:
1. U0100
2. U0293
Vehicle Protocol: CAN11_500

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Is towing the Volt something you're going to be doing on a regular basis? If so, maybe you should put it in Transport Mode beforehand. It may be sensing the rear wheel sensors even if the vehicle is off. Most electronics today aren't really off but in standby, maybe the Volt too. If Transport Mode doesn't work, try disconnecting the 12V battery negative cable beforehand.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JuneBug I will look into how to enable transport mode, (never heard of that) funny how the manual doesn’t mention any of this. I remember on my Jeep that a fuse was removed during transporting. Maybe it is something similar.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
The owners manual states that you can dolly tow the 2018 Volt with front wheels up. It says place in park with ebrake off. Every time I start my Volt after towing it, the CEL is lit. I get the message that stabilitrak is unavailable, forward collision unavailable and several other codes. The ebrake doesn’t work until after driving the car some distance. I tried clearing the codes with a scan tool and it did clear several but one remained until several drive cycles then cleared. Now I have an OnStar message that my stabilitrak has malfunctioned. I just pulled the car off the dolly for the second time and all errors are again present. I assume they will all clear on their own again. Seems really messed up though.
What is going on? Thanks for any thoughts Jon
Not what is going on BUT you *certainly* should be able to follow the explicit manual and not see the CELs. You need to ask GM.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
If you're towing frequently, get a full lift tow system where the entire care is off the ground. Modern cars simply don't like being towed - this isn't a Volt specific issue.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have the car turned on or turned off while it is being towed?
Turned off and followed directions above from Scott.

I have towed countless vehicles this way. In the past front wheel drive vehicles where benine when it comes to the rear wheels (basically a trailer axel)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here is my complete DTC Report from my scan tool. These are all from dolly towing 400 miles. I first towed down to oregon and it had all these codes. I cleared most and some cleared after a couple of drive cycles. One week of driving the Volt with no codes and flawless operation. Then towed home 400 miles and all these codes showed again as soon as I started the Volt. Again the ebrake would not engage which makes it hard to get off the dolly by yourself when the safety chains didn't have enough slack and the car wants to roll back a few inches. I hope someone from GM can reply to this with a solution. Is there a "transport mode" fuse on the Volt?

Jun 29, 2018 9:41 AM
VIN retrieved from Vehicle
VIN: 1G1RB6S56JU116884
Make:Chevrolet / Geo Year:2018
----Confirmed Trouble Codes Scan Report----
7 Confirmed Trouble Codes Trouble Codes:
1. P25C9
2. U179D
3. P25A2
4. C0501
5. U0293
Lost Communication With Hybrid/EV Powertrain Control Module
6. C0507
7. U0100
----Pending Trouble Codes Scan Report----
2 Pending Trouble Codes Trouble Codes:
1. P25A2
2. P25C9

----Permanent Trouble Codes Scan Report----
2 Permanent Trouble Codes Trouble Codes:
1. C0501
2. C0507
----Shared Address Module Codes Scan Report----
2 Shared Address Module Trouble Codes:
1. C0460
2. U0415
Status: HISTORY • Invalid Data Received From Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Control Module
----Electronic Brake Control Module Codes Scan Report----
11 Electronic Brake Control Module Trouble Codes:
1. U0140
Status: HISTORY • Lost Communication With Body Control Module
2. U179D
3. U0100
4. U026A
Status: HISTORY • Lost Communication with Image Processing Sensor F
5. U0293
6. U179A

7. U18B5
8. U0131
Status: HISTORY • Lost Communication With Power Steering Control Module
9. U0151
Status: HISTORY • Lost Communication With Restraints Control Module
10. C0501
Status: HISTORY/MIL • Steering assist control solenoid/motor/actuator return circuit malfunction
11. C0507
Status: HISTORY/MIL • Steering position and rate of change sensor circuit #2 range/performance
----Glow Plug Control Module Codes Scan Report----
2 Glow Plug Control Module Trouble Codes:
1. U0100
2. U0293
Vehicle Protocol: CAN11_500

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Transport mode is easy:

Chevy Volt:

1. Transport Mode. This is used at the factory to put the Volt in a kind of hyper sleep for long shipments overseas. Transport Mode may also be left on while the vehicle is in dealer inventory. So it would seem the same could be done for those who store their Volts for a few months.

To turn the Transport Mode On:

1. Start the engine

2. Activate the hazard flashers

3. Press the brake pedal

4. Press and hold the Start/Stop button for 15 seconds"

To turn the Transport Mode Off: Repeat the procedure above.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks JuneBug. I was able to do this today. The dash displays “transport mode” and is just as easy as your instructions. I hope this will help with all the trouble codes. I can’t believe so many are triggered with the car being off. I will wait for the current codes to clear and give it a try.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I hope transport mode helps with your problem, but I am not too hopeful that it will. I don't think it was intended for your situation. It is intended to save the charge on the 12V battery while the car is unused for long periods of time, like it would be while parked waiting for transport, and during transport on a truck, rail car, or ship. GM doesn't usually deliver from the factory by towing vehicles on a dolly, so I doubt that was a consideration for this mode. It reduces the light timeout period, turns off the theft alarm and the remote keyless entry system, and possibly (not sure) the OnStar modem. Most of those changes happen after a 24 hour delay after the car is turned off.

I think disconnecting the 12V battery all together during towing would be more likely to bypass the problem. That way, the car should not be able to sense the unequal wheel speeds which I am guessing is triggering the codes. The main problem with that method is that it is very inconvenient to access the battery to disconnect it. You might be able to use one of the aftermarket battery disconnect switches that are marketed for use on classic cars. Some of those even have a remote control. Another idea similar to that is maybe there is an easily accessible fuse somewhere that could be removed during towing that would either have a similar effect to disconnecting the battery, or at least kill the wheel speed sensor system.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope transport mode helps with your problem, but I am not too hopeful that it will. I don't think it was intended for your situation. It is intended to save the charge on the 12V battery while the car is unused for long periods of time, like it would be while parked waiting for transport, and during transport on a truck, rail car, or ship.
Thanks for the ideas, Hopefully part of the battery saving "transport mode" is to turn off these sensors that are still active. I would like someone to explain why the need to have these sensors active when the car is "Off" I towed my 2013 Volt without these issues and it had Stabilitrak, lane departure, ect. I think this is a mistake and not supposed to happen. The owners manual states that dolly towing is acceptable and doesn't say anything about Error codes and the parking brake will become non functional for a period. It could be unsafe to dolly tow when you cant set the parking brake when removing from the dolly, it certainly makes it difficult or a two person operation. I think a GM rep should get involved

1 - 12 of 12 Posts