GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dryer Buddy Plus #4 Custom 30A 2-way switcher, 10-30 to 10-30 & 14-50 outlets

Many people have asked me for a 2-way switcher version of the Dryer Buddy #4 so only one item can be powered at a time, I have built a few of these upon special request. I'm now offering it.

Dryer Buddy Plus #4 Custom 30A 2-way switcher, 5.5' 10-30 plug cable (before 1996) to one 10-30 and one 14-50 outlets $215.00 $21.00 less without kWh meter

The Dryer Buddy Plus #4 is a 2-way switcher based on the original Dryer Buddy #4 It allows you to share your dryer outlet with your EVSE. LED power indicators show which outlet is live, by default it’s the dryer outlet (10-30 on the left) with a flip of the illuminated rocker switch power is toggled to the EVSE outlet only. Designed so other members of the house don’t accidentally start the dryer while you’re charging your EV. Great for apartment dwellers, temp housing or an easy hookup at a friend’s/relatives house. Housed in a solid 6x6x4 PVC gray box. This unit is built with one a 5.5’ 10-30 cable, one 10-30 outlet and one 14-50 outlet.
I used the Blue kWh meter that's an option in my custom build EVSE's. 100A Volts/Amps/Watts/kWh Meter. Keeps track of how much energy your using so you know how much $ in electricity you’ve used by simple multiplying by your utilities rate (0.13/kWh here in Vegas)
See my video demonstration here:
https://youtu.be/FBPjUEgQUps

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Cool. We have had a number of requests for a product like this. Would work great for renters with dryers in the garage since the ability and cost effectiveness of changing the electrical is limited.

·
Administrator
20,226 Posts
These look like nice options for those who want a no fuss, no muss plug & play solution. The meter is a nice touch! Well done.

My solution was to rewire my basement dryer outlet and throw in a mechanical 240V DTDP switch. The switch shunts the power to either the new dryer outlet box below it, or to a new breaker box up in the garage (50 ft away) that feeds a 20A 240V outlet for the EVSE.

Voltec30AmpDTDP.jpg

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don, That's great to hear!, Thanks for your support and kind words, It means a lot to me!

Nice work on your custom solution! great idea and good clean work.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Dryer Buddy – 240v outlet splitter for EV charging station for sale

I have been very busy with custom orders and caught up so I built up a few different Dryer Buddy’s.
The Dryer Buddy allows you to share your dryer outlet with your EVSE. This allows both to share the 30A circuit. As running a Dryer on no-heat/tumble-dry doesn't use nearly as much power as high heat, a ammeter is included so you may see how much current your dryer uses and you can use the rest to charge your car! Or just charge at night when not doing laundry and use the full circuit to charge your car. Great for apartment dwellers, temp housing or a easy hookup at a friends/relatives house. Dryer Buddy is housed in a very solid 6x6x4 PVC gray box.

Each Dryer Buddy has a plug and two outlets; here are a few of the most popular ones:

Dryer Buddy #1 $112.07 Allows you to share your dryer’s 3-prong outlet. Build with;
• A NEMA 10-30 plug w/5ft. cable
• This was the common dryer plug before 1996.
• Two NEMA 10-30 outlets
• Volt/Amp meter

Dryer Buddy #2 $125.95 Allows you to share your dryer’s 4-prong outlet. Build with;
• A NEMA 14-30 plug w/5ft. cable
• This is the common dryer plug used in 1996 and up.
• Two NEMA 14-30 outlets
• Volt/Amp meter

Dryer Buddy #3 $133.85 Allows you to share your dryer’s 4-prong outlet. Build with;
• One NEMA 14-30 outlet
• One L6-30 twist-lock outlet
• Volt/Amp meter

Dryer Buddy #4 $118.50 Allows you to share your dryer’s 3-prong outlet. Build with;
• One NEMA 10-30 outlet
• One NEAM 10-50 outlet
• kWh meter, provide volts & amps but adds wattage and kilowatt hours (kWh) which is stored and can be reset.
Dryer Buddy #4 is basically a Dryer Buddy #1 with a 14-50 outlet instead of the 2nd 10-30 outlet so you don’t have to buy an adapter in addition and a step up to the kWh meter.

Dryer Buddy #5 $128.00 Allows you to share your dryer’s 4-prong outlet. Build with;
• One NEMA 14-30 outlet
• One NEMA 14-50 outlet
• Volt/Amp meter

Dryer Buddy #6 $104.75 Allows you to share your dryer’s 3-prong outlet. Build with;
• One NEMA 10-30 outlet
• Volt/Amp meter

Dryer Buddy #7 $125.14 Allows you to share your dryer’s 3-prong outlet. Build with;
• One NEMA L14-30 twist-lock outlet
• Volt/Amp meter

Dryer Buddy #8 $134.63 Allows you to share your dryer’s 4-prong outlet. Build with;
• One NEMA 14-30 outlet
• One NEMA L14-20 twist-lock outlet
• Volt/Amp meter

Dryer Buddy #9 $120.45 Allows you to share your dryer’s 3-prong outlet. Build with;
• One NEMA 10-30 outlets
• One NEMA 6-50 outlet
• Volt/Amp meter

Shipping is $18.00 anywhere in the continental USA.

I can customize a Dryer Buddy for you with which ever plug/socket combo you would like and the meter of your choice or no meter. Private message me if you have any questions or would like to make a purchase.

I offer a 2 Year Parts and Labor Warranty on all my Dryer Buddy's

I get a lot of inquires about custom builds. YES I definitely take orders for anything you would like to see in your EVSE or Dryer Buddy.

Dryer Buddy #1

Dryer Buddy #2

Dryer Buddy #3

Dryer Buddy #4

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Wait, is this a relay that is either one outlet or the other? Or just a Y connection with a $20 volt/amp display?

Is this UL listed?
If not,,, CYA.
"Don't give them your real name." :p

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
You know it's not UL Listed. The wiring in my house isn't UL listed either.

CYA.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
You know it's not UL Listed. The wiring in my house isn't UL listed either.

CYA.
Yeah, but it's to code. This thing... is it just a 'Y' / parallel connection inside? If so, bad things can still happen regardless of the display.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice idea and good price.

What does it do if it exceeds 30 amps with both connected?
Thanks for your interest. The original Dryer Buddy is a splitter with an optional meter. Electrically the outlets are in parallel.
It works the same as this adapter: http://www.corddepot.com/shop/rvs/50a-marine-rv-y-adapter/
but with different connectors, splitting the outlet. Your circuit breaker is your primary protection device.

All the Dryer Buddy's are available in a Plus version. The Plus version is a 2-way switcher that adds a high current relay inside to power only one outlet at a time. It also gets a power indicator LED above each outlet and a toggle switch on the face. I edited the post above to show these.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More Buddy's

Unfortunately I can't edit the main post as there seems to be a time limit. I also didn't have a full backup of the post so I had to recreate it from scratch :rolleyes: now I do.;) So here is the newest version, Mods please replace my 1st post with this one as you see fit.

I have been very busy with custom orders and caught up so I built up a few different Dryer Buddy’s.
The Dryer Buddy allows you to share your dryer outlet with your EVSE. This allows both to share the 30A circuit. As running a Dryer on no-heat/tumble-dry doesn't use nearly as much power as high heat, a ammeter is included so you may see how much current your dryer uses and you can use the rest to charge your car! Or just charge at night when not doing laundry and use the full circuit to charge your car. Great for apartment dwellers, temp housing or a easy hookup at a friends/relatives house. Dryer Buddy is housed in a very solid 6x6x4 PVC gray box.

Each Dryer Buddy has a plug and two outlets; here are a few of the most popular ones:

Dryer Buddy #1 $112.07 Allows you to share your dryer’s 3-prong outlet. Build with;
• Two NEMA 10-30 outlets
• Volt/Amp meter

Dryer Buddy #2 $125.95 Allows you to share your dryer’s 4-prong outlet. Build with;
• Two NEMA 14-30 outlets
• Volt/Amp meter

Dryer Buddy #3 $133.85 Allows you to share your dryer’s 4-prong outlet. Build with;
• One NEMA 14-30 outlet
• Volt/Amp meter

Dryer Buddy #4 $118.50 Allows you to share your dryer’s 3-prong outlet. Build with;
• One NEMA 10-30 outlet
• One NEMA 10-50 outlet
• kWh meter, provide volts & amps but adds wattage and kilowatt hours (kWh) which is stored and can be reset.
Dryer Buddy #4 is basically a Dryer Buddy #1 with a 14-50 outlet instead of the 2nd 10-30 outlet so you don’t have to buy an adapter in addition and a step up to the kWh meter.

Dryer Buddy #5 $128.00 Allows you to share your dryer’s 4-prong outlet. Build with;
• One NEMA 14-30 outlet
• One NEMA 14-50 outlet
• Volt/Amp meter

Dryer Buddy #6 $104.75 Allows you to share your dryer’s 3-prong outlet. Build with;
• One NEMA 10-30 outlet
• Volt/Amp meter

Dryer Buddy #7 $125.14 Allows you to share your dryer’s 3-prong outlet. Build with;
• Volt/Amp meter

All the Dryer Buddy's are available in a Plus version. The Plus version is a 2-way switcher that adds a high current relay and power supply inside to power only one outlet at a time. It also gets a power indicator LED above each outlet and a toggle switch on the face. Upgrade any Dryer Buddy to a Plus version for $103.80 more.

Here is one example:

Dryer Buddy Plus #4 $219.00 A 2-way switcher that allows you to share your dryer’s 3-prong outlet. Build with;
• One NEMA 10-30 outlet
• One NEMA 10-50 outlet
• High power relay, illuminated rocker switch
• Power indicator LED above each outlet
Dryer Buddy Plus #4 is basically a Dryer Buddy Plus #1 with a 14-50 outlet instead of the 2nd 10-30 outlet so you don’t have to buy an adapter in addition and a step up to the kWh meter.

I can customize a Dryer Buddy for you with which ever plug/socket combo you would like and the meter of your choice or no meter. Private message me if you have any questions or would like to make a purchase.

I get a lot of inquires about custom builds. YES I definitely take orders for anything you would like to see in your EVSE or Dryer Buddy.

Dryer Buddy #1

Dryer Buddy #2

Dryer Buddy #3

Dryer Buddy #4

Dryer Buddy Plus #4

In Dryer outlet mode

In EVSE outlet mode

Demo video of Dryer Buddy Plus #4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBPjUEgQUps

I worked hard on a nice PDF featuring some of the EVSE's I build and accessories. Check it out here for current pricing:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hc6ei1dkkqwbiwz/BSAelectronics EVSE flyer.pdf?dl=0

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Yeah, but it's to code. This thing... is it just a 'Y' / parallel connection inside? If so, bad things can still happen regardless of the display.
This is the same thing as a 2-outlet power strip, UL listed or not. If the wire gauge is the same from the plug, to the first outlet, and to the second outlet, it's going to provide the same protection with the breaker on the other end of the wall outlet. What kind of bad things do you envision happening, here? If power up two 30A devices on this at the same time, it's going to throw the breaker.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
... If power up two 30A devices on this at the same time, it's going to throw the breaker.
Good point, it'll just pop the circuit breaker.
So why not just install two 30A outlets side by side running off the one 30A circuit breaker? Would that be to code?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I got mine done custom. I sent a PM to him and he was very accommodating for my custom build. I wanted a 14/50 pass through and a 6/20 receptacle. I have an air compressor in the pole barn that I can use on the 6/20 if needed in the garage and I have a 6/20 220 adapter for my stock EVSE.

I have a 14/50 in place for my Volt with a Juicebox Pro wifi and wanted to use my 2015 EVSE for the new ELR.

I considered putting in a larger outlet box with both 6/20 and 14/50 but no meter, permanent change to the house wiring, and may not be code.

I also got the volt and amp meter on it. So I can see it is 244 volts and 26.3 amps with both charging. Dedicated Voltec only circuit.

High quality professional build.

Very satisfied with it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got mine done custom. I sent a PM to him and he was very accommodating for my custom build. I wanted a 14/50 pass through and a 6/20 receptacle. I have an air compressor in the pole barn that I can use on the 6/20 if needed in the garage and I have a 6/20 220 adapter for my stock EVSE.

I have a 14/50 in place for my Volt with a Juicebox Pro wifi and wanted to use my 2015 EVSE for the new ELR.

I considered putting in a larger outlet box with both 6/20 and 14/50 but no meter, permanent change to the house wiring, and may not be code.

I also got the volt and amp meter on it. So I can see it is 244 volts and 26.3 amps with both charging. Dedicated Voltec only circuit.

High quality professional build.

Very satisfied with it.
Thanks Dr. Volt, I'm very pleased your happy with the custom creation I built for you. I work hard on each unit to build a long lasting reliable product.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Dryer Buddy – 240v outlet splitter for EV charging station Summer prices

As post can't be edited after a certain amount of time please scroll down thru all pages for the newest prices/product details.

Dryer Buddy #1 $123.70 Allows you to share your dryer’s 3-prong outlet. Build with;
• Two NEMA 10-30 outlets
• Volt/Amp meter

Dryer Buddy #2 $137.15 Allows you to share your dryer’s 4-prong outlet. Build with;
• Two NEMA 14-30 outlets
• Volt/Amp meter

Dryer Buddy #3 $144.80 Allows you to share your dryer’s 4-prong outlet. Build with;
• One NEMA 14-30 outlet
• Volt/Amp meter

Dryer Buddy #4 $129.95 Allows you to share your dryer’s 3-prong outlet. Build with;
• One NEMA 10-30 outlet
• One NEMA 14-50 outlet

Dryer Buddy #5 $139.15 Allows you to share your dryer’s 4-prong outlet. Build with;
• One NEMA 14-30 outlet
• One NEMA 14-50 outlet
• kWh meter

Dryer Buddy #6 $135.60 Allows you to share your dryer’s 3-prong outlet. Build with;
• One NEMA 10-30 outlet
• Volt/Amp meter

Dryer Buddy #7 $136.38 Allows you to share your dryer’s 3-prong outlet. Build with;
• One NEMA 10-30 outlet
• Volt/Amp meter

All the Dryer Buddy's are available in a Plus version. The Plus version is a 2-way switcher that adds a high current relay and power supply inside to power only one outlet at a time. It also gets a power indicator LED above each outlet and a toggle switch on the face. Any Dryer Buddy can be upgraded to a Plus version.

Here is one example:

Dryer Buddy Plus #4 A 2-way switcher that allows you to share your dryer’s 3-prong outlet. Build with;
• One NEMA 10-30 outlet
• One NEMA 14-50 outlet
• High power relay, illuminated rocker switch
• Power indicator LED above each outlet

Dryer Buddy Plus #4 is basically a Dryer Buddy Plus #1 with a 14-50 outlet instead of the 2nd 10-30 outlet so you don’t have to buy an adapter in addition and a step up to the kWh meter.

Dryer Buddy #1

Dryer Buddy #2

Dryer Buddy #3

Dryer Buddy #4

Dryer Buddy Plus #4

In Dryer outlet mode

In EVSE outlet mode

Demo video of Dryer Buddy Plus #4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBPjUEgQUps

I worked hard on a nice PDF featuring some of the EVSE's I build and accessories. Check it out here for current pricing:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hc6ei1dkkqwbiwz/BSAelectronics EVSE flyer.pdf?dl=0

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I'll keep this thread in mind when I buy my Tesla and will want/need to charge at our children's house when we visit. They are about 100 miles from the nearest SC I would need/use on our trips to/from their house.

Being able to charge while visiting them in southern Maryland will allow us to drive anywhere while there and easily get back to a SC on our way home.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I dont know whats going on with this site but I am posting again. Hope 2 dont show.
Do you ahve an adapter as you call them from your pic 3 left side plug type (my charger plug) to the pic 4 right side such that the plug at the end of the adapter of 4 prongs/3 flat blades, no L shape can be pluged into what many hotels seem to be offering thereby converting my dryer plug charger into that format?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts