GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what, you may ask.

Well the biggest impression I came away with from the whole experience is... how nice, refined, smooth and quiet my Chevy Volt is. Seriously, Chevy really did a nice job on the Gen2 Volt.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the Tesla, its nice and neat and impressive in so many ways. And I want one. But it's going to have to wait until a more affordable SR version comes along, or they begin to depreciate on the
pre-owned market.

Two different animals, indeed. My point is, the Tesla is great, but it also reveals how great the Volt is too.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have driven the top of the line Tesla P100D and I also own a 2017 Volt Premier and I agree with you 100%. The Volt is a very GOOD car and a surprising value for all of the features it has. Yes, the Tesla is VERY fast and handles well and has excellent electric range with a supercharging network to support long distance travel.
But I just know that GM could build an awesome pure EV that would compete with any Tesla IF they really wanted to. Frankly, I don;'t think GM is truly interested YET. But the day is coming when they will have to if they want to survive.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Never driven a Tesla, but would love to. Can't afford one anyway. They have them for rent here on a daily basis, but it's pretty extravagant.

It's nice to hear how well the Volt compares, and especially for the money.

I'm partial towards rwd vehicles, and a $35k Model 3 would be nice. That's what we paid for our Volt Premier, before the tax credit. Problem is, by the time it's available, the tax credit will be gone or at least half gone.

So even the cheapest 3 will be more than our 2018 Volt was, and more than a Bolt EV would have been, had we gone that route.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
The wife and I test drove a Model 3 last week and we were both very impressed with the power and handling. The ride, however, was very harsh compared to the Volt. The lofty price ($58K out the door) and insurance costs (+75%) are deal-breakers for us.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm curious for those who have driven the Model 3... how much faster is it off the line than the gen2 Volt, like 0-30 MPH? The Volt is known for its quickness to 30 MPH so I'm wondering if the Model 3 feels similar to 30 MPH and just keeps accelerating that quickly all the way to 60 MPH and beyond instead of quickly tapering off after 30 as the Volt does? Or if the Model 3 is much quicker, even 0-30 MPH?

The reason I ask is that I'd probably only consider a Model 3 for acceleration/performance. I really don't like the interior of the Model 3 at all and I find that 90% of when I need power, it's under 30 MPH... to get me up to speed from a side road and flowing with traffic. Even in my older (fast) cars, I'd wait for a LOT of room to pass, so passing is not really a concern as the Volt can do the big gaps.

Mike

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I'm curious for those who have driven the Model 3... how much faster is it off the line than the gen2 Volt, like 0-30 MPH? The Volt is known for its quickness to 30 MPH so I'm wondering if the Model 3 feels similar to 30 MPH and just keeps accelerating that quickly all the way to 60 MPH and beyond instead of quickly tapering off after 30 as the Volt does? Or if the Model 3 is much quicker, even 0-30 MPH?
From the reports I've seen, TM3 LR does pretty much what you first describe: 0-30 and 30-60 are about 2.6-2.7 each.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Of course we don't have a Model 3 SR to test yet but since the battery will be several hundred pounds lighter than on the Model 3 LR the Model 3 SR should be quicker off the line. A dual motor Model 3 SR may be quicker still.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Thanks. Until Tesla releases the Model 3 short range (SR) with the smaller, lighter battery pack we won't know if there is any significant difference in performance with the lighter vehicle configuration.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've ridden in a Model 3 and just bought a Model X 75D. I can tell you for sure the performance of the X is way, way more than the Volt. I wasn't driving but the Model 3 seemed to have a similar punch. I think it's a signature Tesla feature.

But in real life, there are only a few situations where the extra performance counts. I was quite surprised at how the Volt compared to the X, safety-feature, design, and infotainment wise. The Volt really is an excellent car. But when I leave a stoplight in the X all the other cars appear frozen in time in the rear view mirror...

·
1,308 Posts
Thanks. Until Tesla releases the Model 3 short range (SR) with the smaller, lighter battery pack we won't know if there is any significant difference in performance with the lighter vehicle configuration.
Generally speaking, bigger batteries output more power which more than makes up for the extra weight and so results in faster performance.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've ridden in a Model 3 and just bought a Model X 75D. I can tell you for sure the performance of the X is way, way more than the Volt. I wasn't driving but the Model 3 seemed to have a similar punch. I think it's a signature Tesla feature.

But in real life, there are only a few situations where the extra performance counts. I was quite surprised at how the Volt compared to the X, safety-feature, design, and infotainment wise. The Volt really is an excellent car. But when I leave a stoplight in the X all the other cars appear frozen in time in the rear view mirror...
The X should be quite a bit faster than the 3. According to the numbers I've seen, across the intersection (up to about 30 MPH), the Volt should be right next to the 3. After that, no contest: the 3 keeps going.

Mike

·
Banned
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The Model 3 LR is quicker 0-30, 0-60, than the Volt. Similar experience, but better.
The Model 3 Performance has literaly astounding acceleration. Must be experience to be believed. 0-60 it's among the fastest things on the road, including McLarens, Lambos, Porsches and crotch-rockets, etc. An Overwhelming novelty, but kinda useless. All that performance also demands it have very expensive, high performance, summer tires. Its not exactly an efficient little electric car rolling around on LRR tires that's gonna save the planet. Its range takes a big hit too, when you get on it.

The Model 3 SR, when it shows up, will certainly be faster than a Volt too.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've driven a Performance 3 and a Long Range 3

Both are superior to my Gen 2 Volt

Performance 3 has completely absurd acceleration. Just nuts.

Long Range has very very fast acceleration. 0-30 feels much quicker than in my Volt and I kept this in mind since the Volt does it in 2.3 seconds. Volt is very quick but the 3 feels quicker and then at higher speeds the Volt is much slower compared to the 3's power.

The one thing I loved in the Model 3 was when I floored it from a stop, no tire spin.

Then I floored it in the Volt after and the tires squeal/chirp.

Model 3 interior is also simplistically amazing. Volt is nice but does not come close the 3's minimalism.

Model 3 has so much open space. Headroom, glass roof, everything is so clean and simple. The feel of the materials is very nice. Seats super cushiony and the side suede inserts on the doors feel great when resting your arm there. Perfect view of the road ahead. No obstructions. No HUD. No high up dashboard like the Volt.

Your speed on the center screen is the best place for it. I can't see it in my Volt because of how my steering wheel is positioned so I never see my speed unless I move my head down.

Super sold on the Model 3. Volt remains the best EV on earth if you can't afford a Tesla. But a Tesla is just the next step

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm almost sold on the 3 except for two things. One is the interior, specifically the dash. I think it looks horrendous. To each their own but it's that wood strip that ruins it for me: looks like a 1990's Buick. Maybe if there's an after market option to replace it with something else, even something like a carbon fiber look, I could live with it. The second thing is service. I have a neighbor who has a Model S and his car was in the shop for 2 weeks just to replace a steering wheel switch. So I'm concerned about lengthy service to fix even simple things.

Mike

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Model 3's appearance and I do not prefer the minimalist approach to the interior. I like the layout of the Volts interior as it reminds me of a traditional ICE vehicle. Perhaps that's my problem...I'm stuck in the past. Perhaps if I saw one in real life I might change my mind. Heaven knows it wouldn't be the first time reality didn't match the pictures.

As for performance keep in mind the Volt and Model 3 are aimed at different markets with the Model 3 focusing towards the performance crowd. I bought my Volt as a commuter car and it's worked very well in that capacity. Acceleration is more than acceptable for daily use. Perhaps I might have a different perspective if I didn't have an X5-M sitting in the garage.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've driven a Performance 3 and a Long Range 3

Both are superior to my Gen 2 Volt

Performance 3 has completely absurd acceleration. Just nuts.

Long Range has very very fast acceleration. 0-30 feels much quicker than in my Volt and I kept this in mind since the Volt does it in 2.3 seconds. Volt is very quick but the 3 feels quicker and then at higher speeds the Volt is much slower compared to the 3's power.

The one thing I loved in the Model 3 was when I floored it from a stop, no tire spin.

Then I floored it in the Volt after and the tires squeal/chirp.

Model 3 interior is also simplistically amazing. Volt is nice but does not come close the 3's minimalism.

Model 3 has so much open space. Headroom, glass roof, everything is so clean and simple. The feel of the materials is very nice. Seats super cushiony and the side suede inserts on the doors feel great when resting your arm there. Perfect view of the road ahead. No obstructions. No HUD. No high up dashboard like the Volt.

Your speed on the center screen is the best place for it. I can't see it in my Volt because of how my steering wheel is positioned so I never see my speed unless I move my head down.

Super sold on the Model 3. Volt remains the best EV on earth if you can't afford a Tesla. But a Tesla is just the next step
I haven't driven the performance edition but agree on all your other points. The TM3 is an amazing car and an incredible value.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If a $35000 Tesla 3 would have been available 2 years ago, I most likely would have bought one instead of my Volt. I'm a gearhead, but also have a long commute. The volt fit the bill for that pretty well. Just enough performance that I don't hate driving it, and efficient enough that it doesn't kill my bank account just getting back and forth to work. That being said, I've put almost 63k miles on my Volt since then and it has exceeded all of my expectations so far. I've taken quite a few trips that would have been extremely difficult in the 3 due to the range limitations and the lack of charging options with places I was traveling. No idea how long this Volt will last me. I don't replace things on a whim, so I'm kind of expecting that there will be MANY more options of vehicles available by the time I'm ready to kick it to the curb. Excited to see whats available if/when

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.